Fitness

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Fitness

Post by kajmk »

This was started as a focal point for fitness information and resources.
The purpose is to collect references. You well know, that we have a lot of good information here, but when it remains buried in a topic thread, it can be unobserved by many.
True, one can search the forum and go beyond that by doing refined searches.
Some will, some won't .

Not everyone goes to, uses, knows of, or add to the wiki.

Sept 16th edit:
Added link to this reference cited in the forum wiki
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... hould_Know" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Furthermore, there are several videos which can be found on YouTube by the USBC dealing with fitness, conditioning, and so on.

March 6th 2019 edit:
Recalling the wisdom that cautions us to "trust but verify" -
If you are able to go to a gym or fitness center, be aware that some very qualified professionals advise against using certain machines. Never assume because they are in the center they are beyond reproach. Researching things to avoid is not a bad start.
Many of us will not have time or money to go to theses facilities; there are many conditioning and strength building routines that do not require special equipment.
As a bowler, be aware of the common denominators of better bowlers insofar as posture.
If you cannot achieve good posture at the line and hold it until the ball falls into the pit, it will be difficult to bowl your best on a consistent basis.
You must be able to see yourself in real time and make that mind to body connection, learning the feel, to shorten your learning curve. Mirrors are great, they provide instant feedback and the ability to alter your position immediately. Practice without a ball, get the form, hold it, when that's easy, add a weight or ball.

I happened to read these Washington Post articles today and thought I'd share this and kick off what I hope will be a focal point for information on fitness. The more fit you are, the longer you can participate in your chosen activity and it won't hurt your chance at improvement.

Healthy body and mind ...

The topics are evident in the links

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... ean&wpmm=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... ?tid=a_inl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by kajmk on March 6th, 2019, 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Re: Fitness

Post by SomyP »

Great post kaj. I feel that fitness is a very overlooked aspect of bowling. A lot of casual observers and bowlers may think why do I need to be in shape for bowling? From personal experience, I can tell you that my best bowling came when I was in good shape. I say good since my fitness since I was 19 hasn't been consistent. For the last 5 years I've been inconsistent with it. But now I'm focused on being a healthier and stronger me.

Look at a lot of professionals on tour. With the exception of a couple of bowler's you will see that most if not all of the top professionals have a lean or athletic build. Now I don't have a lean build yet, but I'm athletic for a short stocky guy. My core strength could be better and flexibility could be improved but I'm in decent shape. Being in good shape can not only save a bowler from injury, but keep them bowling at a high level for a long time. Case in point Amleto Monacelli. He is in his 50's and he can still keep up and win with the kids half his age on the senior tour.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

One of the challenges can be allocating the time and summoning the energy to exercise.
I was a workaholic type, did not have the best dietary practices for many years.
One trick is to find your motivation, often times that can be your family, doing it for them.
Looking to the future and saying, I want to be fit to enjoy my children as they grow and my grandchildren. Sometimes stepping outside ourselves works.
A wise person said, "you don't play your sports to get fit, you get fit to play your sports".
There are numerous articles and videos on routines and ways to find time.
Diet and rest make things a lot easier. The law of extremes is fairly true, too much and too little are very often bad.

Though many of you are under 40, there is a book that in my opinion is a very good book on fitness and the philosophy of fitness. The overwhelming and most important point is the earlier you embark and maintain, the more your fitness level will belie your age.

I've had good feedback from those I've lent it too.
A class mate of mine found one at a used book store, she said it was NEW,it cost her 50 cents.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This has a few religious overtones, but that's not why I sent it. I am by no means religious person. So no intent to preach here.
Except for the ancient wisdom "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
That, the world needs much more of!!

http://www1.cbn.com/700club/betsy-nagel ... rn-fitness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers.

John
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Exercise is good but my advice would be to train instead of exercise. By training I mean set some goals and when you reach them strive for something a bit higher. Many people are happy with doing the same exercise over and over week after week and at the same intensity and yes that's better than doing nothing. When training you always try to do better. Example: A person always does 3 sets of 20 push ups every other day as part of their exercise routine. Training: if you can easily do that, strive to do 3 sets of 25 and say I will get there in a month. Once you acheive that go for 30 next month. Mix it up, do yoga, swim, sprints, free weights, anything you can to keep it interesting...

For inspiration:

http://www.prevention.com/fitness/jacin ... sfit-at-76" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Post by rrb6699 »

I run, do dumbell curls and presses on an incline bench. I do many reps and when I'm done my heart rate is definitely up, so, I do a few breathing exercises. it provides recovery O2 for the heart.

I only do one or 2 sets of workout. I think the weights keep a toned musculoskeletal condition. the curls seem to help my release consistency. plus the ball is light in my hands.

I just do these daily to maintain tone. I believe toned muscles helps combat things like fatigue (body and arms) which in turn helps keep things in place while bowling.
RR
Tweenr-RH
300-(15) 290-(37) 280-(31)
Ser-1075-4gm, 867-3gm
speed dominant
Tilt: low°, Ax Rot: ~....°, PAP: 3 7/8 over- 1/2 up; Speed: 17.5mph Avg downlane
Several Wins/Top 5 Finishes-scr/hdcp tournaments.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

This is what I was taught to do and found out via research.

This is not gospel, only what was relayed to me by a trainer.
My goals are: Improved Cardio Fitness, Flexibility, and Strength. Actually, I'm not interested in building muscles, Hollywood is not going to call me.
If I ever bowl again, 1 & 2 are much more important, especially 2.

If you can get some one on one with a trainer, do it. The same applies to bowling, if you can get one on one with a coach do it.

Independent research is a good thing, good books, good sources.

Have I seen different methodologies other than what I was taught, absolutely yes. Mine is just one.
I am alas, a senior citizen, who just started a regimen April 27th.
Last activity was jogging the upper bowl at the University Basketball arena about 12 years ago.
I am also retired, so I have time. I'd prefer to hit the gym every day but my wife would never stand for it. A typical week is 4 sessions, a good week is 5 to 6 sessions. I'd also prefer NOT to be retired, but that is another story.
Goal -
when they put me in that box, I want people to look at me and say, "he did not look too bad for an old guy ..."

I have doubled to tripled the weights I started training with.
I'm not talking impressive weight amounts, but they have all increased.
I'm lifting paper clips compared to some folks here lifting anvils ...

Warm Up!
Always warm up before your regimen. NEVER EVER SKIP THIS STEP!!!
Do weight training either for both upper and lower body on the same day or alternate days.
One example
[youtube][/youtube]
Another example
[youtube][/youtube]

Proper Breathing
is very important, exhale on the first movement (exhale on the first exertion)
So a curl would be exhale on the curl, inhale on the return to the start
One example
[youtube][/youtube]

Cadence
is very important, it's not a sprint.
The cadence I was taught (in seconds) 2-1-4 e.g. a curl, 2 seconds to curl, 1 second to pause, 4 seconds to extend the arms back to the start. These all have names, but you can think of it as
Positive, rest, Negative. The Negative is very important, that stress maximizes the results.
Generally I do 3 sets of 12 reps.

Form
Focus on proper execution and maintaining form over the weight. DO IT CORRECTLY OR DON'T DO IT.

Range of Motion
Don't be sloppy!
Know the proper range of motion, if you are not performing in the proper range, you are not getting the max out of your effort.

Don't be fast and sloppy just to see the weight number go up.
1) you are probably kidding yourself,
2) You may get injured.

Be the best version of YOU, Kaizen!
Here is probably the most important thought. Just try to be the best version of you that
you can be,
no one else, just you. Focus on your own improvement, Rome was not built in a day.

Recovery to build new muscle fiber
Do not train the same part(s) of the body two days in a row. Rest is important, it allow the body to build the new muscle tissue.

The exception for me is that I train ABS every session, I have increased weight four fold.
Have increased half ball knee lifts and added full leg lifts.
I generally will take a few walking laps around an indoor track after the upper or lower body training before working the ABS.

After weight training
I do Aerobic exercise attaining and maintaining my target heart rate from 10 to 25 minutes. Typical Aerobic session, stationery bike, resistance 8 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most. Treadmill with 15 degree elevation (max for the machine). Rowing machine.
Total Aerobic time 35 to 45 minutes.
After that a few walking laps
The walking laps are COOL down laps.

Stretching
After Aerobics a stretching routine including a PRECOR machine. I hold all the stretches 25 to 30 seconds.
This is a POST activity stretching routine which differs in duration and technique from pre-sport stretching.
And average week for me is 4 trips to the gym.

Going to the gym can be humbling.
NEVER compare yourself to anyone. You do not know their backgrounds so it's not a wise thing to do.

You will see people, men and women, younger and older who can outperform you.
You may even wonder how they are moving the weight they are moving as they do not look like bodybuilders.

I think that's it.
Oh yeah, for me the Aerobics gets boring, so listen to music (appropriately paced, or read or what ever) Have goals and stick to them, push through them UNLESS your body warns you otherwise.
I'm bored is not a good excuse.
Those athletes that won the medals in RIO pushed themselves beyond their comfort zones.
Stopping, quitting is easy.

The younger you are when you start, the more your body will belie your years as you age. People will think you are lying :D .

John
SomyP

Post by SomyP »

Back in my high school days I was only worried about building muscles. Now as I am a more experienced gym person, I am focused on what kaj has said. That is flexibility, strength, and improved cardio fitness. For me since my knees are pretty gone from years of hard running, and jumping, I simply walk outside or walk on a treadmill at an incline depending on the weather. I walk at least 30 minutes or more depending on how sore/tired I am.

For my strength, I keep it pretty simple. Bench press, squat, deadlift, shoulder press, curls. Sometimes I'll do the clean and jerk and snatch since I am a fan of Olympic lifts but do not possess the strength to be an Olympian. For flexibility I'll do supermans, downward dog, simple calf and quad stretches. Really anything that'll keep me loose and help recovery.

The important thing I've learned is it's not how big your muscles are. It's how well they can perform and for how long. Look at Amleto, he is in top shape, and he can win on the regular tour and senior tours. Most bowler's these days are looking to get into good shape. Being in good shape in general helps not just the physical aspect of bowling but the mental aspect as well.

What I mean by mental is think about when you're running. At first the first mile or two feels like garbage. Your lungs are burning, legs are hurting, feet are tight, etc. But then suddenly you hit beyond that wall and get that runner's high. And you can keep going and going until you feel the need to stop. Why not take that same mentality into league, or a tournament or practice even? Think hey I can push through a barrier like a 5k run. This is nothing. Next thing you know you're banging out strikes and bowl the best series of your life.

Now not all scenarios will end like that. The point is made though. Being in good shape and just thinking positive mentally gives you a better edge over those who are pessimistic and not as in great of shape as you.
Daryl
THS Average: 226
Positive Axis Point: 5 13/16 x 5/16 up
Speed: 15.38 at foul line
Rev Rate: 390
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 55

Post by Daryl »

There are a wide variety of ways to strength train. All of them do something, but only a few are efficient. There are so many opinions in the gym, but very few are backed up by real scientific data. Most are based on tradition more so than science, and when tradition has been around for a long time it is hard to let go of it when the science say so. Of course that is true in any field of study. So the question is what does the scientific data support as to what methods are the most efficient and the most productive for strength and muscle building? Pete Sisco has done some good research in this area with the numbers to back up what he teaches that would be good for everyone to look at. You be the judge. His work can be found at precisiontraining.com.

For example, the old gym philosophy suggests that full range motion movements are needed to get the max results and keep flexibility. This has been has been shown to be false. Partial range of motion movements in the strongest range of motion of the exercise will yield greater results, and are safer to do. And they will not decrease flexibility. In fact, static holding exercising, holding a weight in one's strongest part of the range of motion of a particular exercise for a given amount of time, has been shown to be the most efficient strength training program.

The old gym philosophy states that working out two or three times every week is necessary to build muscle. This is false and has been shown to lead to overtraining and slow to no growth in muscle and strength with increased chace of injury. Again Pete Sisco has shown that people can go weeks to a month or two between workouts once they have reached the advanced stages of a work program where by they are lifting big weights. Check out the data and see for yourself.

The above are just some examples to show how one can workout more efficiently and smarter and at the same time make great gains. If one disagrees than Mr. Sisco and myself would be happy to see the scientific data, not just opinion.

I personally have been experimenting with Mr. Sisco's methods and the gains in strength are amazing, and I am presently going 10 days between workouts. Yet I am making gains every workout. At a body weight of 150 lbs my vertical leg press is up to 705 lbs.

So if one wants to cut their time in the gym by 80 to 90% and yet make greater gains than the traditional programs check out the research done by Mr. Sisco. Remember I did not say that the traditional methods do not do something. They are just not as efficient and productive as the newer programs are such as those researched by Mr. Sisco.

Daryl

Daryl
Right Handed Stats:
RPM (off hand) 390
Speed (off hand) 15.3 mph
Axis Tilt; 18 degrees
Axis Rotation: 55 degrees
PAP: 5 13/16" x 5/16" up
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

I believe in real life functional exercises, you know movements you could use in everyday life. We should remember to develop not only strength but also flexibility, endurance and good use of one's lungs and heart. Do whatever works for you but most important do whatever you can stick to and keep doing and remember to have fun.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
SomyP

Post by SomyP »

I do what works for me. I've for the most part given up the heavy weights. They don't hinder my flexibility, but they don't serve a purpose. For me I train for muscle endurance now.

During a recent practice session, I tried to generate my high rev rate. Bad thing about that is I haven't bowled for at least 3 months. Now the muscle memory was there but the muscle endurance was not. What I mean is my elbow paid the price. It's been about a week now and my elbow is still sore. This is due to the fact that I tried to generate a big rev rate, and my timing to do it was way off. When timing is off, everything will be off.

Fitness is great, but nothing beats practice and working on improving weak areas of your game. However take my advice and if you haven't bowled for a period of time, warm up properly. You will save your body in the long run.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

The author is a physical therapist and trainer.
He held that position with the Major League Baseball team
New York Mets.

Flexibility and Mobility are two vital components of a good physical game.

[youtube][/youtube]

Cheerio!

John
turbotwister
Preferred Company: storm

Post by turbotwister »

at my age of 72, i can tell you the importance of exercise....the last couple of years, i have been bowling with a good speed of @14 but since i have started a diet and exercise program, i have been doing much better with my bowling and all around health. i started out at 184 lbs...lost 10 pounds and have been doing weight training and cardio now for almost 1 year. my bowlingball speed has now increased to @ 16-17 and still able to have my deep knee bend and post at the release. i could bowl almost all day now because i have more strength and my breathing has gotten so much better. exercise?....most definitely!
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

turbotwister wrote:at my age of 72, i can tell you the importance of exercise....the last couple of years, i have been bowling with a good speed of @14 but since i have started a diet and exercise program, i have been doing much better with my bowling and all around health. i started out at 184 lbs...lost 10 pounds and have been doing weight training and cardio now for almost 1 year. my bowlingball speed has now increased to @ 16-17 and still able to have my deep knee bend and post at the release. i could bowl almost all day now because i have more strength and my breathing has gotten so much better. exercise?....most definitely!
Without a doubt, regardless of age, a fitness regimen should be a way of life.
Wish I'd continued anytime I stopped.
Excuses are easy.
A lot can be done at the home with no equipment or minimal equipment like dumbbells, resistance bands. The Athlean-x YouTube's detail quite a few.
The earlier you start, the more vigor you will retain.

Thanks for your reply and encouragement!!! Keep up the smart living!!!!

John
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

Fitness Update:

I recently got a golds gym weight bench model 10.2.

I now do not have to do workouts in a wooden chair. my range of motion increased giving me a better workout now. I do more exercises for chest and legs now.

could be coincidence, but, I threw 2 300s this week plus should have had another one in league Wednesday night. a solid 8 in the 6th prevented that one.

I can't help think that the new workout bench has paid for itself since I won 2 sweepers as well.

when I workout my thoughts are about reinforcing how this will help my consistency.

so far so good!

rr
Tweenr-RH
300-(15) 290-(37) 280-(31)
Ser-1075-4gm, 867-3gm
speed dominant
Tilt: low°, Ax Rot: ~....°, PAP: 3 7/8 over- 1/2 up; Speed: 17.5mph Avg downlane
Several Wins/Top 5 Finishes-scr/hdcp tournaments.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

rrb6699 wrote:Fitness Update:

I recently got a golds gym weight bench model 10.2.

I now do not have to do workouts in a wooden chair. my range of motion increased giving me a better workout now. I do more exercises for chest and legs now.

could be coincidence, but, I threw 2 300s this week plus should have had another one in league Wednesday night. a solid 8 in the 6th prevented that one.

I can't help think that the new workout bench has paid for itself since I won 2 sweepers as well.

when I workout my thoughts are about reinforcing how this will help my consistency.

so far so good!

rr

What do you think of this set?

[youtube][/youtube]

John
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

I like those workout method she shows the eight favorites. However, I separate some of those exercises to focus on them better so the eight he shows are 12 or 13 exercises for me. Plus I do many more reps in each exercise maybe up to three times the amount of reps. It gets the workout over quicker and I can focus on the exercise better. The way I look at it I figure if I do 21 reps that I probably got 16 of them right.

Basically I'm not going to change too much of what I'm doing right now since it seems to be working. But I will add the walking around with the dumbbells part. Also the swing exercises are more geared to bowling motions than his. I used 25 lb dumbbells for all my exercises since there are 10 lb heavier than a bowling ball.

Although I do use 30 & 35 lb weight balls that they have at Walmart for a set or two of curls every time I visit the store haha.

I also run a mile with 8lb dumbells. its the most grueling exercise I do and if anyone wants to argue this I recommend starting light and working up. its the only exercise I want to turn around and go back after barely a few hundred feet of running. I figure I do 500 curls on a mile run and it takes hours to recover. I've even showered and still sweat from that workout.
I do it twice to 3x a week. not on a day I bowl unless its practice.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

He has videos on lifting light and lifting heavy.
Mantra is work to failure, defines types of failure. Also warm up reps at percentages of target
below and above target zones. He has quite a few videos out there.
One can work to failure via many reps at a lighter weight or fewer with a higher weight.
From, posture, breathing are important.
Goes into the science and anatomy a lot.
So there is a lot to chose from.
You work with what you have.

Farmer's carry is good for your grip and works a lot of muscle groups, back, core, good for balance too.

Take care.

John
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

yes, great stuff! I rarely work to failure since it make my arms, legs, etc "feel nervous" and since I bowl every day just about, I don't want to completely exhaust muscles.

but 25-35 lb dumbbells are perfect and I still get sore but not nervous muscles and my posture has improved. when I add a new exercise (legs now) I just do one set of 16 reps until I can work the # reps up.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Take a few minutes, consider this simple low intensity, short, daily routine geared to improve external shoulder rotation. Sounds like something that bowler's would benefit from.

[youtube][/youtube]

John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Nice Balance exercises