alcohol

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

turbotwister
Preferred Company: storm

alcohol

Post by turbotwister »

I have a list of all approved ball cleaners.....why isn't alcohol on there. it seems like almost all the ingredients in these cleaners are alcohol based. what's the catch?
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: alcohol

Post by bowl1820 »

It is. it's listed under "COMMERCIAL PRODUCTS APPROVED AT ANYTIME" on page 6

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net ... polish.pdf

Denatured alcohol (Ethyl alcohol, denatured)
Rubbing Alcohol (Isopropyl)
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
turbotwister

Post by turbotwister »

thanks bowl1820....I didn't go further than the z's..duh......I was watching the lane side reviews and he said that alcohol was not a de-greaser? I don't know about a de-greaser but it does remove the oil from my equipment. why would he say that while he's removing grease pencil marks then.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

turbotwister wrote:thanks bowl1820....I didn't go further than the z's..duh......I was watching the lane side reviews and he said that alcohol was not a de-greaser? I don't know about a de-greaser but it does remove the oil from my equipment. why would he say that while he's removing grease pencil marks then.
Well he was plugging That Purple Stuff.

Alcohol is a solvent and is used in many industries for removing oils from surfaces. It's just not a powerful ball cleaner and doesn't penetrate the pores much (which most ball cleaners don't either, only a few do.), but if that's all you got it will work.

Just look at my video where I tested it, it cleaned ball.
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by ads »

bowl1820 wrote: Well he was plugging That Purple Stuff.

Alcohol is a solvent and is used in many industries for removing oils from surfaces. It's just not a powerful ball cleaner and doesn't penetrate the pores much (which most ball cleaners don't either, only a few do.), but if that's all you got it will work.

Just look at my video where I tested it, it cleaned ball.
Hi Bowl1820. Like your experiment a lot. Save me money from products which are no better than alcohol.

Have you tried washing balls (off lane) with liquid detergent for dish cleaning? Is it able to remove oil from pores.
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

ads wrote:
Hi Bowl1820. Like your experiment a lot. Save me money from products which are no better than alcohol.

Have you tried washing balls (off lane) with liquid detergent for dish cleaning? Is it able to remove oil from pores.
I've done the Hot water & Dawn ball soak to remove oil that's all. Which works okay it's been done for years now by many people, But there are better ways now like the DIY ball oil extractors made from dehydrators.
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by ads »

bowl1820 wrote:
I've done the Hot water & Dawn ball soak to remove oil that's all. Which works okay it's been done for years now by many people, But there are better ways now like the DIY ball oil extractors made from dehydrators.
Dehydrators. Interesting! Can you show me some further information?

I am thinking of bringing the balls to enjoy sauna together. Just kidding.
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

ads wrote: Dehydrators. Interesting! Can you show me some further information?
This is the one I made back in 2009 (and as far I know the first dehydrator one ever posted or mentioned) and still use.

Its a five gallon bucket setting on a magic chef food dehydrator.

I used one tray so it had a level surface , placed a ball cup on the tray and sat the ball on it, then placed the bucket over it.

It slowly warms up (to just a little over a 115°) and I just let the sit and sweat, every once in a while I wipe the oil off and keep going till it stops sweating oil.

Now most are using Nesco dehydrators cutting out the trays and sitting the ball in it.

which looks suspiciously like this:

a video
[youtube][/youtube]
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

ads wrote:Dehydrators. Interesting! Can you show me some further information?
Start from post #48

viewtopic.php?p=70553#p70553" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
turbotwister

Re: that purple stuff

Post by turbotwister »

all I can say is fabuloso....."that purple stuff" didn't clean my ball any better than that....same smell and did the same as fabuloso,because I have tried that stuff (fabuloso) in the past. today, after bowling, I put my ball on my spinner and used "that purple stuff". it came out sort of slick but not tacky. I said to myself that, that doesn't seem right and then used plain old alcohol and my rag picked up some more oil and the ball got tacky, like it should be. oh well, lesson learned.....I will stick with my alcohol from now on. believe me, there are other worthwhile cleaners ( beside "that purple stuff") out there that DO the job of cleaning your equipment. but I do like their applicator. loll
turbotwister

Post by turbotwister »

bowl1820, does that 5 gal bucket sit on top of your dehydrator okay and does it have a temp control on the dehydrator? that looks just as good as the one on you tube they he made and cheaper too.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

turbotwister wrote:bowl1820, does that 5 gal bucket sit on top of your dehydrator okay and does it have a temp control on the dehydrator? that looks just as good as the one on you tube they he made and cheaper too.
Yes the 5 gal bucket sits on it okay, the dehydrator is bigger around than it is.

Thats a old magic chef dehydrator they don't make it anymore, it's a fixed temp so no temp control.

You could find one at a flea market or goodwill etc. for next to nothing.
turbotwister

Post by turbotwister »

I was looking at the nesco fd60, like the one in the video that has a temp control. maybe I would also by the extra rings too, but it does look like a good set up. thanks
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

turbotwister wrote:I was looking at the nesco fd60, like the one in the video that has a temp control. maybe I would also by the extra rings too, but it does look like a good set up. thanks
Not having seen a nesco in person, I don't see why you couldn't just get a bucket of the right size that the ball would fit in and just set the nesco top unit on the bucket and not go thru the trouble of cutting the rings out (and buying extra ones).

or at most just take one ring, cut it out and mount it to the bucket as a docking collar for the top unit.

which is all this appears to be:

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NuBall-Bowling- ... SwZ8ZXB92B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that thing works or what is the best thing to use? I hate having to go to Dallas and use that Jawhawk thing that cost $2,500 or so and they charge me $10-$20 per ball to use each time. that thing looks too cheap

what about this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Original-Sw ... xydUJTNN12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; anyone know much about it?
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

http://www.ballreviews.com/miscellaneou ... 473.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

someone made their own sweatbox thing. Is that the bowl1820 guy over there too?
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

krava wrote:http://www.ballreviews.com/miscellaneou ... 473.0.html

someone made their own sweatbox thing. Is that the bowl1820 guy over there too?
Yes I posted the one I made in that thread.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

krava wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/NuBall-Bowling- ... SwZ8ZXB92B that thing works or what is the best thing to use? I hate having to go to Dallas and use that Jawhawk thing that cost $2,500 or so and they charge me $10-$20 per ball to use each time. that thing looks too cheap

what about this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Original-Sw ... xydUJTNN12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; anyone know much about it?
The NuBall definitely works, no need to spend more unless you want to be able to de-oil more than one ball at a time. And NuBall offers good discounts to pro shops, coaches, senior adults, etc. Call them and see if you qualify for a discount. -- JohnP
56bird

Post by 56bird »

bowl1820 wrote:
Not having seen a nesco in person, I don't see why you couldn't just get a bucket of the right size that the ball would fit in and just set the nesco top unit on the bucket and not go thru the trouble of cutting the rings out (and buying extra ones).

or at most just take one ring, cut it out and mount it to the bucket as a docking collar for the top unit.

which is all this appears to be:

You'd have to have it in front of you to understand but I will try to explain. The dehydrator unit pulls return air up thru the bottom center of the unit, then heats it and pushes it out thru a slim slot around the perimeter of the unit. The trays when modified are essentially two concentric rings, the inside one being shorter in height than the outside one. So, the slim slot in the dehydrator lines up with the gap between the eccentric tray rings. Because the inside rings are shorter in height, there is a diffuser effect where the heated air diffuses thru the gaps. Look carefully at the picture posted above with the Vivid in the trays (my pic, actually), you might be able to see it.

No reason one couldn't use a plastic bucket, but it would have to match the outside diameter of the dehydrator nearly exactly, too big and it would fall in, too small and the supply air slot would blow air uselessly outside the bucket. You'd lack that diffuser effect but I'm not sure this matters at all.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

56bird wrote:
You'd have to have it in front of you to understand but I will try to explain. The dehydrator unit pulls return air up thru the bottom center of the unit, then heats it and pushes it out thru a slim slot around the perimeter of the unit.
Yes, most all dehydrators work that way to circulate the air around the trays when filled.

The main issue would just be fitting the unit to the bucket, if the bucket has a lid you could easily cut a hole to size and mount to it.