Cold Showers and Mental Game

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Cold Showers and Mental Game

Post by SomyP »

So for about the past month I've been taking cold showers. The main reason is to wake up and help me lose weight as you burn a few more calories trying to heat up. But I've also discovered another benefit of taking a cold shower. That's the increase in my mental game.

Now nothing really bothers me to begin with. My opponent could be striking sloppily while I'm throwing decent shots and not carrying. That'll bother me slightly, but I normally shake it off and try to figure out in time to strike to not have to make up a lot of pins. Sometimes though I get into paralysis by over-analysis and over think myself into a losing situation.

What's different this year is I'm going into the season a little bit lighter than last year and I'm still losing weight. I'm more focused and a lot healthier than the past couple of seasons. From time to time I get aches and pains but that's to be expected. For those of you who are too scared to take a cold shower right away, try the Scottish shower. You start out nice and warm and finish the final minute with cold water.

The benefits of taking cold showers are burning a few more calories because your body has to warm up from cold to normal body temp; better blood circulation; lowering your risk of a heart attack; and better breathing and building up your mental strength. If I start thinking too much I'll simply think of focusing on my breathing and throwing quality shots. The pins will fall the way they want to.

I know it's kind of silly thinking that a cold shower could have that much of an impact on my game, but for me it does have all the impact. When I bowl my best it's when I barely think. I know what target to hit and get in a nice rhythm and keep that pace all night. That's when the ball comes off my hand nice and clean and I'm hitting my mark and carrying the pocket. So any edge I can get I'll take it.

Start with a Scottish shower or jump right into cold showers like I did. Your mental game will for sure get better.
pastordug
Heavy Oil Ball: Revolt, Rage
Medium Oil Ball: Tribal Fire, Octane
Light Oil Ball: Tank, Sigma Hybrid
Preferred Company: Motiv

Re: Cold Showers and Mental Game

Post by pastordug »

Recently made a trip down to Kegal for a "tune up" and while the hands on, cameras and teaching was very helpful.......one thing said has stuck with me since. "Do not THINK when you step onto the approach."
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

pastordug wrote:Recently made a trip down to Kegal for a "tune up" and while the hands on, cameras and teaching was very helpful.......one thing said has stuck with me since. "Do not THINK when you step onto the approach."
Many years ago, an old timer put it very poetically.
He told me " Just remember this --- start to think, start to stink".
Of course he was referring the time on the approach.

Small as it is, I've managed to trip on my brain during the approach.
There's another phase that Dr Dean Hinitz calls, observation without Judgement, there's a short video on YouTube.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"A Cup of Tea Edit

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.
Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.
The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"
"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?""
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
turbotwister
Preferred Company: storm

Post by turbotwister »

what ever it takes and if a cold shower is one,then do it. I have seen so many 300 games go down the tubes because the bowler got on the approach and took just too much time compared to when he's just bowing. I know exactly where I'm going to stand and my target line even before I step up onto the approach but I also don't clutter my mind.