Rate/Review - Bowling Fundamentals 2nd Ed by Michelle Mullen

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

The higher the number, the higher your opinion of this material.

You may select 1 option

50%
No votes
No votes
50%
No votes

Total votes: 2

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Rate/Review - Bowling Fundamentals 2nd Ed by Michelle Mullen

Post by kajmk » January 30th, 2015, 7:13 pm

I learned of this via the Feb 2015 edition of Bowlers Journal so I've not had a chance to read this book yet.
Michelle said that this is a re-write, not a tweak.

Amazon lists it as coming out June 6 2014 (Interesting timing).

This is also available in ebook format.

It is available via other vendors as well. I choose Amazon so as to make other reviews easily available.

I also found this interview on Youtube, it was on the "Lets Go Bowling Show"

[youtube][/youtube]

There are a whopping 41 reviews there.

http://www.amazon.com/Bowling-Fundament ... ewpoints=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's a lot for bowling topics, especially since too many people that bowl already think they know it all. That paucity of response to the written word is part of the negative image bowling has to overcome.

Note that amazon does have a free Kindle E-reader app wherein you can read their books on devices other than their Kindle Line.
Michelle Mullen - Bowling Fundamentals 2nd Edition.JPG
There is also a short E-book available by Michelle "How to Pick Up Spares"
I'm including a picture, note the mention of the free reading app.

Mullen Spare Shooting ebook.JPG
A reference has been added to the wiki for this rate/review thread
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index.php?title=Books" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you've read this, please share your review and also rate this via the poll.
The higher the number, the higher your opinion of this material.

Editorialize if you'd like to complement your rating

On a personal note, I had positive experience of attending a Bowlers Clinic Michelle co-conducted
at Arizona State University a number of years ago. Michelle knows how to play and teach the game.
She also has a degree in a scientific discipline involve with kinesiology, a good feather in the cap of any sports instructor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John

guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Rate/Review - Bowling Fundamentals 2nd Ed by Michelle Mu

Post by guruU2 » January 30th, 2015, 8:11 pm

Michelle Mullen is an excellent coach and a wonderful writer. She has written OUTSTANDING intro to the fundamentals of the sport. I found one conceptual error in the text as she seemingly confuses the concepts of "exit point" and "breakpoint". They are NOT the same. Despite this possible error, she HAS written a first rate book that should be in any serious player's library.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk » January 30th, 2015, 8:39 pm

I met her once during her PBI camp here. She is a classy, personable, lady.
One of many who had the carpet of opportunity pulled out from beneath her feet when the Ladie's Professional Tour Folded.
I hope that we the bowling public, do a far better job of supporting the new tour.

Digression that probably belongs elsewhere ...
One of the things that has continually annoyed me is the lack of symbiosis in the industry.
One glaring case in point is the lack of support for the pro tours in almost every center I've ever been in.
They never get it that "the whole is equal to the sum of the parts", in fact it can be greater.

Sometimes I wonder if too many of us are too self absorbed to care ...

P.S. I ordered a copy today.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John

BigDog

Post by BigDog » January 30th, 2015, 11:34 pm

I had the pleasure of bowling with Michelle at the University of Illinois. She was on the woman's team and I was on the men's team. She was always a very nice person as well as a hell of a bowler and it has been fun to follow her career. It's also fun to brag about knowing her, like I am doing now, LOL!

Peter

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk » January 31st, 2015, 12:03 am

She struck me as being a person one would like for a friend and neighbor, in short, good folks.

Empathize

John

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk » April 29th, 2015, 8:57 pm

I bought this book a few months ago and have not yet read it.
While waiting for some car maintenance today, I began reading it.
The
Introduction rates an A+
Having read a number of posts on this forum over the years, there is enough wisdom in the Introduction to have answered many questions, kindled ways of thinking, provided some coaching/instructional precepts.
In reading it, I recalled the words of coaches I have worked with, books I have read, videos I have watched.
The information, rationale, and philosophy are top notch.
This book is very reasonably price and there are eBook versions.
Beginning chapter 1, the content did not disappoint.
Aside from herself being an elite bowler , her education gives her additional insight and knowledge about physiology.
I mentioned that I did receive some coaching from her years ago.
The experience was effective and pleasant. She's a top instructor and individual.

More later.

Empathize

John