Tendonitis

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Tendonitis

Post by SomyP »

I know it's been discussed plenty of times. Does tendonitis ever go away? It was during a practice session and in my backswing I felt a pain in my elbow and the pain has never gone away. If I warm up properly then it's not too bad. When I rush it's when the pain is really painful. Even when I'm really cranking the ball the pain is a minor soreness the next day, but a couple advil and some rest for a day and I'm fine.

I've gotten my grip checked many times from my ball driller and we know it's not an issue of me squeezing the ball. Also my game has been analyzed as well. We know I'm not cutting my swing short so the weight of the ball is funneled into my elbow thus increasing the unneeded pressure. Is this just one of those nagging things I have to live with? Would the best thing be to just warm up properly, take advil and manage the pain?
LabRat
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 208

Re: Tendonitis

Post by LabRat »

Which side of the elbow is sore?
Chemistry is like cooking - just don't lick the spoon.
SomyP

Post by SomyP »

LabRat, it's the inside of the elbow that is sore. I've worn compression sleeves, elbow braces, taken ibuprofen and other pain medicine. It's not bad if I warm up slowly and go from there. This has been nagging me for years. I've learned to just deal with it.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Of possible use and interest.
This from webMD
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/a ... tendinitis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck, get well, stay well.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
SomyP

Post by SomyP »

Thanks kajmk. The good thing is I'm bowling only Friday night league the next two weeks because of holiday so I should not be feeling too much pain as the joint won't be stressed too much.
LabRat
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 208

Post by LabRat »

Probably Golfers Elbow. That's the same side I hurt in a tourney a couple years ago. See a physio, make sure your grips are not too tight and get the entire grip rechecked. I reduced my spans a little and went up a half size in inserts and the problem has now gone. Took nearly a year for the pain to go completely.
The muscles and tendons that work your hand and wrist run all the way up to the elbow. Something in the way you bowl is stressing one of them. A good physio will be able to tell you which one, then you can extrapolate that info back to the grip or release to hopefully fix the issue. Tendons take a long time to completely heal unfortunately.
Chemistry is like cooking - just don't lick the spoon.
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by ads »

The golfer elbow. I got it year ago.

Suggested by physiotherapist to wear a long sport sleeve to support my arm muscle when bowl. Everything is fine now.

Rgds,
Adrian
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
pastordug
Heavy Oil Ball: Revolt, Rage
Medium Oil Ball: Tribal Fire, Octane
Light Oil Ball: Tank, Sigma Hybrid
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by pastordug »

I had the same pain that I thought was due to me being off so ling due to back surgery. However it wouldn't go away so I decided to get it checked out. Tendonitis. Of all they have given me, there is a cream which has worked really well dealing with the pain......Voltaren Gel. Other than that was told to take it easy.......right. Best of luck to you and praying you will heal fast!
SomyP

Post by SomyP »

It wasn't too bad today. Merry Christmas to all by the way. Went and practiced with my family and no pain at all today. Could have been properly warming up but it's been manageable. I guess I'll just practice once a week over the summer to keep the muscle memory, but so far so good. I should finish league with a near 220 average and a strong city and state tourney finish as well.

Thanks for the well wishes. Hope you all had a good Christmas and bowl well guys.
kart300

Post by kart300 »

Hi guys,
One of the most overlooked treatments is TENS. You can use a simple two pad machine or even better a 4 pad machine. The placement of the pads can be trial and error but for me with pains from tennis and golf elbow it works. I've even bowled with the pads on, an elastic bandage holding them in place and the wires up to the shoulder and then down to the controller in my pocket.
Previous treatments were meds, physio, acapuncture and rest!,, all of which had a limited benefit.
So now if I ever get a flare up, I put the pads on for 30 mins every few hours.
Revs ~350 Tilt ~16* Speed 17-18 off the hand Rotation 30-75
SomyP

Post by SomyP »

Old thread of mine but I'm bumping it back up. Had city singles and doubles today. The lanes burned out really fast so I had to move deep and up the rev rate a bit to get it to turn the corner. I had one good game of 279 but that was due to me being in the moment and relaxing and simply letting it go at release.

I had a low of 153 and my other games were just as bad as well. The main reason my scores were bad except the one great game is mainly due to my elbow. Unfortunately it flared up again. And also unfortunately I don't have the luxury of time as I have to bowl team tomorrow. So I've been using zim's max freeze, boxing liniment, and tiger balm while wearing a compression sleeve to try to speed up the healing just enough to be able to handle tomorrow's bowling.

I also have a quarter and a half left of league. Bowling only 1 league this year has helped the elbow for sure but it's flaring up time and time again. I know the best thing is to take time off, see my doctor, and rest. However the competitive athlete in me says to suck it up and keep going. After tomorrow's city team, all I will have left is state and nationals. More than anything I want to let my body rest and heal and slowly work my way back into the game, but it's getting very frustrating trying to continue.

Any suggestions besides a cortisone shot in the arm and resting it?
russelldean
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 up 1/4
Speed: 20
Rev Rate: 400
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by russelldean »

If you consume artificial sweeteners, I highly recommend stopping for a couple months to see if it helps. What we consume, has a tremendous effect on our bodies.
Please click the Green Button, If i have been helpful..
SomyP

Post by SomyP »

That's one thing I need to cut out is sugar in general from my diet. I experimented with a vegetarian diet for a little while and the lack of meat and lack of sugar other than carbohydrates from my diet made me feel better. The inflammation had settled considerably in my body. Thanks Russell it'll be worth a try to keep bowling.
russelldean
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 up 1/4
Speed: 20
Rev Rate: 400
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by russelldean »

Good luck......
Please click the Green Button, If i have been helpful..
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

This is a topic that should be pinned or bumped periodically.

Reiterating what has probably been mentioned
Proper diagnosis by your physician is advisable.

Determine the cause of YOUR affliction, could be due to more than one variable.
Ball fit, time bomb in your technique, physiological threshold surpassed.

Establish and practice a warm up and cool down routine for Bowling.

Cause may not be bowling alone.
If you are a gym rat, cheating to hit a rep target can force you to use the wrong muscles or technique to make your number. For example bicep curls, when forearm muscles are used to assist the biceps by wrist flexion versus neutrality.

Golfers elbow is one that bowler's can get.
As with any injury or condition, cure and prevention should be the goals.
Don't be satisfied with a band aid solution.
At the root of some tendonitis is inadequate conditioning (strength, mobility, flexibility) for the application.

Rest, rehab, condition. Fix the cause, condition your body.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Be well
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I have things worse I had Tendinosis which is chronic tendonitis. It took awhile to go away a few months but it did. I still have slight issues with my shoulder depending on how much I bowl. My suggestion is if you can take off the rest of the summer (no leagues should be bowling right now). Take advil for the next few days. You have got to warm up your shoulder or elbow or whatever before bowling. I NEVER used to have to do it . When I go now even in practice, I take a 5lb weight and work my rotator cuffs 4 or 5 sets of 20 to 30 and also a few sets of like windmills or something with it. It takes about 15-20 minutes to do but so far I haven't had and real issues. Another thing is I don't know if you go to the gym or not, maybe do some kind of exercises to strengthen some muscles there. I know for sure I definetely need to do it myself if I am going to bowl more like I want to.