Dean Champ's Video

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Dean Champ's Video

Post by SomyP » December 17th, 2014, 7:13 am

Guys let's give it up to Dean Champ again for doing another spectacular job analyzing our sport and how we can implement the analyses into our games to take them to the next level. The link is to the youtube video. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DAVIDINIL
THS Average: 228
Positive Axis Point: 5 right x 5/8 up
Speed: 18 CATS
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: storm

Re: Dean Champ's Video

Post by DAVIDINIL » December 17th, 2014, 11:42 pm

Thanks for posting. THat's a great vid.

pneumatic
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5" over, 3/4" up
Speed: 16 mph - Foul Line
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 5-10
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Lucid
Medium Oil Ball: Storm IQ Tour Pearl w/ MOtion Hole
Light Oil Ball: Storm Lights Out

Post by pneumatic » December 18th, 2014, 2:19 am

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

SomyP

Post by SomyP » December 18th, 2014, 3:55 am

No prob guys. We need videos like this for the serious and non serious bowler to understand why professionals are as good as they are.

guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 » December 18th, 2014, 7:48 pm

Another sterling piece of work by Dean Champ. Videos like this need a wide viewership from the both the league BOWLER who is interested in the sport beyond house conditions and the aspiring PLAYER. I thank you as well SonyP for the important post.
Last edited by guruU2 on December 19th, 2014, 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.

river800
THS Average: 202
Preferred Company: Storm/radical

Post by river800 » December 19th, 2014, 2:09 am

This really is a great video to show why these bowlers are where they are at. I have seen quite a few videos but haven't seen some of this due to normal speed so this was nice to be able to see a lot of slow mo shots and the detail in these.

I just got back into bowling after time off and my physical game needs some work, but this is definitely going to be a visual tool to help me in my progress.

Thanks!!
Stats:
Right handed
Pap is 4 3/4 x 3/8 up currently
Speed around 16.5 off hand
Tilt in the 14-16* range
Rev rate: around 325 - 350 or so
Axis rotation in the 25-70* range
I bowl on Brunswick synthetics. Ths...

pjape

Post by pjape » December 19th, 2014, 6:01 pm

Great video. Most of this is covered in "The System" by Mark Baker. I do have to point out one thing. Tommy Jones is listed in the late timing examples. Being late in his timing is what drove Tommy to seek out Mark's coaching. When Tommy is bowling well, he is on time. Mark has side by side video comparing Tommy throwing a shot on time and late. Both shots are on-line, but the late shot is too fast and blows by the break-point, leaving a 2-8-10. According to Baker, this happens when Jones leans too forward during the downswing, which causes him to force the ball too high in the backswing, which causes the ball to be too late. The solution is what Mark calls a "quiet shoulder."

I'm not being critical of Dean, but I felt this should be pointed out.

Thanks Dean, for another awesome video.

deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp » December 23rd, 2014, 1:30 am

pjape wrote:Great video. I do have to point out one thing. Tommy Jones is listed in the late timing examples. Being late in his timing is what drove Tommy to seek out Mark's coaching. When Tommy is bowling well, he is on time. Mark has side by side video comparing Tommy throwing a shot on time and late. Both shots are on-line, but the late shot is too fast and blows by the break-point, leaving a 2-8-10. According to Baker, this happens when Jones leans too forward during the downswing, which causes him to force the ball too high in the backswing, which causes the ball to be too late. The solution is what Mark calls a "quiet shoulder."

I'm not being critical of Dean, but I felt this should be pointed out.

Thanks Dean, for another awesome video.
Hi all and thanks for the positive feedback about this latest video. I took Jim Merrell's advice after the first video and included some more fundamental's here, and I think they are worth showing to try and help bowlers at all levels understand and respect the sport more.

Re Mark Baker's timing spot, I am aware of the Tommy Jones timing discussion in Baker's book, but the fact is in many of the videos I looked at with TJ, he is late. Amleto is the same, even though Baker shows him in the Hall Of Fame pics in his book as being on time. Kelly Kulick at times also has late timing, along with Dom Barrett and a few others. There is only one example from each bowler in my video and bowler's don't have exactly the same timing each shot, so it shouldn't be taken for gospel.

It is a bit contentious but the timing spot can easily be manipulated to have a bowler appearing in time when they actually have late timing; unless you have good slow motion footage of the bowler, in 1 frame the bowler can move from being late to being in time, and it is often difficult to see exactly when their slide foot is flat on the floor. The other measure is having the slide foot just in front of the bowler's head, but you will notice in the video that this position also varies slightly from bowler to bowler. I tried to be as objective as possible with Baker's timing spot, even though it contradicts some of his own findings.

Dean
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor

JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell » December 23rd, 2014, 2:36 am

deanchamp wrote:I took Jim Merrell's advice after the first video and included some more fundamental's.
Thanks for the prompts, but your excellent research always makes your video analysis objective and first class.

Re Mark Baker's timing spot, I am aware of the Tommy Jones timing discussion in Baker's book, but the fact is in many of the videos I looked at with TJ, he is late.

TJ was very successful as an amateur and a professional long before Mark Baker appeared on the EBI scene. TJ’s staff salary with EBI probably eases the pain of not winning titles. An equipment change would make him a more consistent competitor

There is only one example from each bowler in my video and bowlers don't have exactly the same timing each shot, so it shouldn't be taken for gospel.

Excellent points, so when the coaching hat goes on we shouldn’t be guilty of trying to pick fly shit out of pepper.

It is a bit contentious but the timing spot can easily be manipulated to have a bowler appearing in time when they actually have late timing. Absolutely.

And it is often difficult to see exactly when their slide foot is flat on the floor. The other measure is having the slide foot just in front of the bowler's head, but you will notice in the video that this position also varies slightly from bowler to bowler. Manipulation.

I tried to be as objective as possible with Baker's timing spot, even though it contradicts some of his own findings. Good observation.

Dean
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"

Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel » December 23rd, 2014, 5:20 am

I prefer opening up the timing window by increasing the length of the flat spot as opposing to making a precise timing spot. I stray from the from on timing. Shocker! Timing start when the ball goes by the leg on the downswing, not from the beginning. Timing is affected by three things:

1) Grip pressure
2) The length of the hinge
3) The half period of the pendulum.

OK! Have at it!

Your thoughts please, Jim.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)

ads
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by ads » December 23rd, 2014, 12:12 pm

Mo Pinel wrote:
I prefer opening up the timing window by increasing the length of the flat spot as opposing to making a precise timing spot. I stray from the from on timing. Shocker! Timing start when the ball goes by the leg on the downswing, not from the beginning. Timing is affected by three things:

1) Grip pressure

OK! Have at it!

Your thoughts please, Jim.
Hi Mo,

Appreciate if you can elaborate a bit on the three factors. They are very new to me.
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*

Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel » December 23rd, 2014, 12:50 pm

ads wrote: Hi Mo,

Appreciate if you can elaborate a bit on the three factors. They are very new to me.
Give it some thought and give me your interpretation. Let's see what Jim says.

ads

Post by ads » December 23rd, 2014, 2:00 pm

Mo Pinel wrote: Give it some thought and give me your interpretation. Let's see what Jim says.
I have no clue of the 3 factors but I guess it is something to do with "Timing start when the ball goes by the leg on the downswing"

When the ball comes down from the top of the swing and passes by the trailing leg, the thumb is getting out of the ball. When the trailing leg draws across to the left (I am right handed), I will let the ball go.
Adrian
Right handed

JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell » December 23rd, 2014, 2:14 pm

Mo Pinel wrote: I prefer opening up the timing window by increasing the length of the flat spot as opposing to making a precise timing spot. Timing is affected by three things:

A precise timing spot and Santa Claus have the same thing in common….neither exist.

Instead of looking for a precise timing spot, bowlers should be looking for ways to open up the timing window………….by increasing the length of their flat spot. Which by the way TJ has always had a long flat spot.

The kinetic energy of the approach can be released in one of two ways when the bowler reaches the foul line……….the body can go up or it can go forward. Jason Belmonte needs to figure this out in order to keep his trail leg down. Some shots his body goes up and on others it goes forward (his trail leg then stays closer to the floor……check it out).

1) Grip pressure

In the majority of athletes I have had the privilege of working with two things always seem to stand out:

1) Too much grip pressure
2) Ball placement is too far from the body.

Fix these two items and increase the length of their flat spot……their focus becomes execution not timing.
In a couple of days Santa will be doing his magic worldwide..........MO, you sir work year round giving away freely your immense knowledge and love of the sport.

For this we are all thankful!

Wishing Monica, Levi and you a Happy and Prosperous New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"

Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel » December 23rd, 2014, 3:18 pm

ads wrote: I have no clue of the 3 factors but I guess it is something to do with "Timing start when the ball goes by the leg on the downswing"

When the ball comes down from the top of the swing and passes by the trailing leg, the thumb is getting out of the ball. When the trailing leg draws across to the left (I am right handed), I will let the ball go.

My bad choice of words. I mean when the ball goes by the leg the first time. On it's way from the hinge. Sorry. Read Jim's erudite post.

Jim,

The best to you sir during the holidays My contributions pale in comparison to your disciplined approach and support of this great game. It's a privilege to call you friend, sir!!!!

As always you nailed it!

ads

Post by ads » December 23rd, 2014, 3:36 pm

Mo Pinel wrote:
My bad choice of words. I mean when the ball goes by the leg the first time. On it's way from the hinge. Sorry. Read Jim's erudite post.

Jim,

The best to you sir during the holidays My contributions pale in comparison to your disciplined approach and support of this great game. It's a privilege to call you friend, sir!!!!

As always you nailed it!
Problem comes from my limited English.

Found this article http://perfectyourbowling.com/articles/ ... egg-1.html. Should be something close.

Lastly, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all. (聖誕快樂, 新年進步!!!!)
Adrian
Right handed

crashin12x
Positive Axis Point: 5" x 7/8"
Speed: 15.7 MPH Off Hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 65
Preferred Company: Hammer, Ebonite and MoRich

Post by crashin12x » December 24th, 2014, 2:36 am

Thank you Dean for this wonderful video. As always, Mo and Jim you're inputs and help are very valuable and thank you for unselfishly sharing your knowledge to grow the sport.

Happy Holidays to everyone in BC!
LHB
PAP 5" over LEFT x 7/8" over UP
Tilt 18*
Speed 16 MPH (Off Hand)
Rev 250 RPM
Rot 65*

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk » December 24th, 2014, 5:25 pm

guruU2 wrote:Another sterling piece of work by Dean Champ. Videos like this need a wide viewership from the both the league BOWLER who is interested in the sport beyond house conditions and the aspiring PLAYER. I thank you as well SonyP for the important post.
Thanks to cogent comments and observations by all.
To Maestro Jim Merrell & the Prince of Pith (the man who's says the most in the most succinct manner)
Master Mo.

Dean's contributions epitomize the mission statement of this gathering
BowlingChat Mission.JPG
Kudos to Dean for his quality work and for never forgetting to give credit where credit is due.

Thanks again to the Founders of this Feast of Knowledge.

To all who's mission is to help others, you are the quintessence of the spirit of the holidays celebrated at this time of year.

Love, Peace, and Happiness ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk » December 24th, 2014, 5:32 pm

Don't forget to hit that Green + of Kudos for Dean.'

Set your mouse on automatic for Dean.
Green stamp of approval.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John

deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp » December 28th, 2014, 5:19 am

pjape wrote:Great video. Most of this is covered in "The System" by Mark Baker.
I haven't watched The System so I'm not sure what it covers. Many of the topics in my videos are derived from discussions with Patrick Birtig in Melbourne and from my own ideas and my take on what I see from bowler to bowler. I found Brian Voss' book Bare Bones Bowling a great read too full of very interesting insights about technique and strategy.

There is also a wealth of information on technique and coaching in the BowlingChat Wiki which is probably under-utilised but hopefully not under-appreciated. Jim and Mo always provide quality info and they like throwing the odd curve ball in there too (see Mo's post above about timing), to play devil's advocate and stimulate some thought and discussion. The best way to learn is to watch, read, engage in discussion and give your ideas some critical thought.

Thanks again for all the positive feedback and support and I hope to make the next video sooner rather than later as I still have lots to cover and plenty of quality HD footage I can use, and the PBA is now uploading their own telecasts in HD which is a bonus.

Dean
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor