Switch Grip Longevity

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Switch Grip Longevity

Post by TomaHawk »

Lately, we have noticed a significant increase in Switch Grip failures. Simply, the tabs seem to be wearing at a fairly fast pace. What makes it even more concerning, the slugs are not being removed and re-inserted continuously, but remain in one ball for an extended period of time. One person, in particular, has only had the slugs (2) for a couple of months.

Has anyone experienced this issue?
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Switch Grip Longevity

Post by EricHartwell »

I've noticed this as well. The fit is almost to tight when new. Then they get loose after a while.
I use small ponytail rubberbands wrapped on the slug right above the tabs to help secure it in place. Works great!
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Bowler2014
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by Bowler2014 »

I use VISE IT, with no issues over the last 4 years, same thumb inserts, one heavily used, no issues. I was thinking of changing to the Switch Grip
because my new local Pro Shop doesn't know how to do a VISE IT system. Have been driving 45minutes to get ball work done, before. Want to have
something closer. Now, wonder if I should use Switch Grips.
Thanks for anyone's experience, also!
sparesr4sissies

Post by sparesr4sissies »

EricHartwell wrote: January 19th, 2022, 9:51 pm I use small ponytail rubberbands wrapped on the slug right above the tabs to help secure it in place. Works great!
Great idea! A friend recently shared his trick of wrapping some plumber's tape in that same spot, but I might like your idea better.
turbotwister
Preferred Company: storm

Post by turbotwister »

I just posted on the pro shop forum that I am thinking of changing to the switch grips. Do you think it might be a mistake because of the issues that bowlers are having with them? Thanks
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

EricHartwell wrote: January 19th, 2022, 9:51 pm I use small ponytail rubberbands wrapped on the slug right above the tabs to help secure it in place. Works great!
I recommend against this.
I got myself hurt trying this.
The rubber bands, even when secured all the way, back out the thumb slightly due to elasticity pulling it back.
I use a fairly tight thumb hole and this approach reduced my oval angle and I hung it in.
Use with CAUTION.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

MegaMav wrote: April 4th, 2022, 12:44 pm I recommend against this.
I got myself hurt trying this.
The rubber bands, even when secured all the way, back out the thumb slightly due to elasticity pulling it back.
I use a fairly tight thumb hole and this approach reduced my oval angle and I hung it in.
Use with CAUTION.
Caution is needed on any type of interchangeable thumb to make sure it is fully engaged. Especially when using a tight fit and an angled oval.
When I first starting having ovals drilled, before Switchgrips, I would hang up a lot because of turning the ball too early putting the thumb at the wrong angle to the oval cut.

How large/thick were the rubber bands you used?
I use the ones that cost $1.39 for a 250 count package. They are quite thin and allow the slug to be fully engaged.
I have not noticed them backing out because of elasticity. But if the tabs aren't worn enough it makes it very difficult to fully engage or even remove.
https://www.meijer.com/shopping/product ... TsQAvD_BwE

Before coming up with this "fix" I had a similar thing happen to me as the slug loosened while I was delivering the ball changing the oval angle and it hung up. It was painful enough to make me determined to find a solution.

Another failure mode is the outer sleeve coming loose. I have also had this happen. But I noticed this during my pre-shot routine as I now always check my fit prior to stepping up on the approach. My driller re-glued it for me without cost.
I've also had a thumb that the oval angle was not correct. My driller didn't look at the drill sheet and went off memory cutting it at 45* instead of my required 40*. Again he was good enough to drill me a new thumb at no cost to fix his mistake.

Wish I knew these things before having a 10 ball arsenal set up with the Turbo switchgrip. I probably would have gone with a different brand.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

Same ones, the elasticity backs it out slightly no matter how much I engage the inner. My inner has stopped clicking in place.
I'm getting a new inner drilled, I'm not messing around with my wrist.
I've seen excessive grip pressure or force, like balking or hitting up on the ball may cause issues with the glue adhesion of outer sleeves on interchangeables.
TheMilkMan
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 221
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/8" X 0
Speed: 16.5-17.5
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Still Looking for one . . .
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip Cell (original)
Light Oil Ball: Storm Fast
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by TheMilkMan »

Over the last 3 years, I have noticed a substantial change in the Switch Grip longevity. They lock really well for 2 months or so and then become increasingly sloppy. In my shop, we are recommending JoPo and Vise It’s over the Turbo offerings. For me, the JoPo is very rigid and secure. Blends the best of the offerings on the market. Vise Its are very popular and are easy to use, the only down side I’ve noticed is having to replace the top sleeve every once in a while as the ball ages.
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

TheMilkMan wrote: April 10th, 2022, 1:12 pm Over the last 3 years, I have noticed a substantial change in the Switch Grip longevity. They lock really well for 2 months or so and then become increasingly sloppy. In my shop, we are recommending JoPo and Vise It’s over the Turbo offerings. For me, the JoPo is very rigid and secure. Blends the best of the offerings on the market. Vise Its are very popular and are easy to use, the only down side I’ve noticed is having to replace the top sleeve every once in a while as the ball ages.
I completely agree with this.
I am changing to JoPo starting with the next set of balls drilled.
The Turbo product has gone from the best option to the worst in a matter of about 2 years.
To follow up on my last post, I drilled 3 new thumbs for my Turbos with +15 degrees of oval angle to make sure I clear clean, threw 15 shots, it worked.
Dumping the old thumbs. I'm still hurt, but the rubber band debacle told me I needed more oval angle, if I was that sensitive.