How much technology do you use in bowling equipment?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

jaimelion

How much technology do you use in bowling equipment?

Post by jaimelion » September 5th, 2020, 1:54 pm

So how much tech like different balls for different lane and oil patterns do you use? What about things like interchangeable thumb slugs? What about wrist supports? Any other tech I missed? I have been seeing allot of stuff online lately about technology stuff in bowling. And it does seem like it is a tech heavy sport. In my mind you should be able to do everything with one or 2 balls max.

Thanks

TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: How much technology do you use in bowling equipment?

Post by TomaHawk » September 5th, 2020, 11:25 pm

Unlike other sports where there are set perimeters, a bowling lane could have no oil or oil to the pin deck. Because there are so many variables in the way a lane could be oiled, a person would need at least four bowling balls. They would have a ball for heavy oil, one for medium oil, a light oil ball, and a spare ball. People who are fairly adept at the game would have considerably more, (kind of like a good golfer will play better with a large variety of clubs).

Wrist supports are exactly that, they support a weak wrist. Most professional bowlers do not use them.

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk » September 6th, 2020, 12:27 am

A word on Wrist Supports, as you know, they keep a wrist locked into a position.
They can be set to induce various types of roll and tilt.
The strongest releases require quick movement of the wrist.
Think of throwing a frisbee or flicking a yo yo, you can't do either very well with a wrist LOCKED into position.
So for those who need a wrist positioner, it's a good tool.
A few Professional bowlers have used them.

Today's bowling balls MAGNIFY what the bowler does.

Going to the bowling centers in my community, I'll note that even many seniors bring a 4 ball roller to leagues. In scratch or classic leagues, they are bringing two three ball totes.

For better or worse these changes were begat by environmental and equipment revolutions. In some ways it's paradoxical.

Periodicals like Bowling this month, and Bowlers Journal, have ball reviews in each issue. Bowlers Journal has a downloadable archive of past reviews.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John

EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous
Medium Oil Ball: Motiv Villain, Hammer Nail, Brunswick True Motion
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer, Columbia Nitrous

Post by EricHartwell » September 6th, 2020, 5:09 pm

Coverstock technology is utilized by everyone today whether they know it or not.

The minimum number of balls to carry would be 3 for me. One Dull, one shiny and a plastic spare ball.
Except I have a 4 ball roller so I carry a 4th one. It is a Control ball set up that fits in between the dull and shiny.
This doesn't mean I only have 4 bowling balls. I actually have many more than that. Based on where I am bowling I choose the set to bring along.
Tournaments I bring 6.
Having enough choices allows me to stay in my A game more often not having to manipulate my roll as much.

I also utilize the technologies of the core/layout combinations to tune the ball reactions to my release style, allowing me to stay in my comfort zone even more.

The internet, computers, phones, tablets, cameras are all being used to augment my game.

If the trend of less oil keeps going I will consider using a wrist device to limit my revs. I stopped wearing one about 10 years ago when I discovered, through the use of technology, that my rev rate increased significantly without it.

Interchangeable thumbs have been a godsend. I was always adding/removing tape. They have given me a more consistent release from ball to ball and saved me plenty of time and money in the long run.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand

boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer » September 7th, 2020, 5:48 pm

Ummm - don't say that wrist supports keep a wrist in a locked position.

There are multiple wrist supports - from a Mongoose to a Robbie's, to a hard-core Brunswick or Storm Gadget (which I use)

Few of them actually "lock" a wrist. They allow certain movement - even my Storm Gadget allows me to BEND my wrist but doesn't allow it to break backward. They all allow certain movement, just different degrees or directions.

I use my Gadget to overcome a very old injury that has weakened my wrist (and wrists are notoriously hard to strengthen - no need for videos, I've had the needed operation on my left wrist, was in a cast for 6 WEEKS and then in rehab for 6 MONTHS and it never was 100% after - wrists are a collection of little pebble-sized bones with no actual muscle in them) and I can "c0ck" my wrist all I want . . .

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk » September 8th, 2020, 6:38 pm

boomer wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 5:48 pm
Ummm - don't say that wrist supports keep a wrist in a locked position.
Thanks for pointing out my error.
Bad choice of words on my part, they support and to varying degrees curtail movement.

As for videos, with all respect, the videos are provided for reference and resources, many of which have been edited and created by people with some degree of expertise.
They are in a manner of speaking like books on a shelf.
The purpose is to help.

I've used wrist supports myself, I used to use the Mongoose, left and right hand.
I've had a Cobra and that one, was shall we say, was very resistant to movement.
Supports have evolved over time.
One of the better bowler's in the area here said he used a Cobra, to weaken his release. All things being relative. When not using a thumb, one can impart many more rpms on a bowling ball than if their wrist movement was restricted.
Since I did not have a medical problem, I decided to stop using them even though they easily added 20+ points to my average. Just my own philosophy. I did not bowl for money, ergo principles prevailed :lol:

For videos on anatomy presented by a university instructor, often with humor, check out Sam Webster.

I'm including 1 video
Published on Oct 14, 2012
In this episode of eOrthopodTV, orthopaedic surgeon, Randale C. Sechrest, MD narrates an animated tutorial on anatomy of the hand.

Be safe, be well, be happy, be kind.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John