Cover strength and core strength

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

markkuhn

Cover strength and core strength

Post by markkuhn »

Folks, how much of a ball's shape and strength is dictated by its core or cover?
Is it a 50/50 split? Or does the cover effect motion more than the core?
cw90stratos
Speed: 17 F L
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: rg show off
Medium Oil Ball: storm marvel pearl
Light Oil Ball: still looking for one
Preferred Company: anything other than columbia

Re: Cover strength and core strength

Post by cw90stratos »

from what I know as a rookie. cover is bout 60% ish. core bout 30% ish. rest drilling.
right, pap 4 1/2 over 1/2 up. AT 10 AR 60, 16.5 mph off hand, around 325 rpm
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

75% Cover, 25% Core. Layout is part of the 25% that's core, as it is nothing more than how the core is positioned within the ball in relation to the bowlers grip. One of the most prevalent problems in modern bowling is that since the cover is easier to understand, it's O.K. to ignore the core. It's not!
imagonman
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by imagonman »

RobMautner wrote:75% Cover, 25% Core. Layout is part of the 25% that's core, as it is nothing more than how the core is positioned within the ball in relation to the bowlers grip. One of the most prevalent problems in modern bowling is that since the cover is easier to understand, it's O.K. to ignore the core. It's not!
NOT according to MO! { see 32:30 & 49mins}
[youtube][/youtube]
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Mo's seminar is to teach drillers how to drill his ball designs.He doesn't put % numbers to gauge the relationship between cover and core as it pertains to ball motion. He basically says that the core/layout has the most influence.
I believe it is because there are too many variables that change these numbers. I'm also thinking that his new core designs are going to be "Radical", They are going to be really strong and will dominant the ball motion. The influence of the surface grit is going to be relegated to only controlling skid length.

I stated this in another post... viewtopic.php?f=6&p=111402#p111402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EricHartwell wrote: If you are going to keep the coverstock to be 60% of the ball motion core and layout need to be complimentary. Like strong core with a strong layout. If you go weak core and weak layout the coverstock is going to be more like 90% of the reaction. Go with a zero flare layout and you have a reaction that is 100% based on the cover.
I will go on to say a Strong core/layout with a weaker cover/prep, the cover will definitely be less than 50% of the reaction.
Again these are just generalities/estimations in an attempt to quantify the relationship between the cover/prep to core/layout. It changes based on many factors.

I believe it is possible to use too much surface and mask the layout.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Personally, I don't think you can put numbers on it. It is the combination of the 2 which is important. You also have to figure weak covers seem stronger on dry lanes so you have covers which grab the dry hard (skid in oil) and covers with teeth that won't react much on dry conditions. It is the combination that makes the ball. For example: If you want back-end motion, use a weak core with a strong cover (strong on dry). There are core dominant balls and cover dominant balls. How would you say one size fits all and plug in numbers.
b3y0nd3r
Preferred Company: motiv

Post by b3y0nd3r »

40% layout, 30% core, 20% surface and 10% cover stock material. That's my take from my experiences.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Go with the ball motion study in the wiki from USBC.
Everyone has a different opinion based on their eye, what it wants to see and ball roll.
Data tells the truth.
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

Ever since the techno revolution in bowling that started in the mid 80s, I have heard or read of a wide range of numbers on this topic. Most of the numbers are unsupported with hard empirical data. The ball companies and the USBC have one studies. The USBC is public and provides a rigorous study on the topic and thus it is, at this time, the most definitive study we have. Thus I agree with MegaMav:
MegaMav wrote:Go with the ball motion study in the wiki from USBC.
Everyone has a different opinion based on their eye, what it wants to see and ball roll.
Data tells the truth.
Just remember, this is the definitive data and study we have at this point in time and thus it is open to revision. Thus, the only disagreement I have with the above quote is the last line. Data (facts) indicate that a truth statement can be possibly made but given further testing, the accepted "truth" is open to further revision.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

guruU2 wrote:the accepted "truth" is open to further revision.
Spoken like a zen master. Thanks Gary. :ugeek:
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Is there a study, utilizing EARL or some other mechanical throwing device, in which the coverstock was changed on one particular ball and one ball only? I can't seem to find it.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

MegaMav wrote:
Spoken like a zen master. Thanks Gary. :ugeek:
You may know that there are several books
"Zen and the art of ..."
As Casey Stengel said, "you can look it up"

I've often said that Gary should write a book.
If ever he does, we might add, "Zen and the art of bowling"
I have a Dalai Lama day calendar, every day has some of his words. Every now and then I see a little bit of Gary there ...

8-)

Other than the name of the group, there's no relevance, but the tune is a good one.

[youtube][/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

The faster the core/layout, the more aggressive the cover should be to accurately convert that energy to ball motion. When the core revs-up, the ball should move.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
Jochemke

Post by Jochemke »

elgavachon wrote:Personally, I don't think you can put numbers on it. It is the combination of the 2 which is important. You also have to figure weak covers seem stronger on dry lanes so you have covers which grab the dry hard (skid in oil) and covers with teeth that won't react much on dry conditions. It is the combination that makes the ball. For example: If you want back-end motion, use a weak core with a strong cover (strong on dry). There are core dominant balls and cover dominant balls. How would you say one size fits all and plug in numbers.
How can you determine if a ball is core dominant or cover dominant? Are there any guidelines for this?
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Jochemke wrote:
How can you determine if a ball is core dominant or cover dominant? Are there any guidelines for this?
The diff. ratio gives the core strength. From the wiki glossary: Differential Ratio, or diff. ratio, is an indicator of the level of asymmetry of the core. The differential ratio is equal to the quotient of the Intermediate differential and the Total differential. Balls with higher diff ratios have a higher degree of asymmetry.
The diff. ratio is also an indicator of how quickly the ball will respond to friction. The higher the value, the faster the response to friction. This is the reason why Asymmetric cores tend to produce more angular break points than Symmetric cores. (Covers are a guarded secret according to Mo, so you would have to just go by what people are revealing).

Here is where he compared 2 of his Morich balls: viewtopic.php?t=740" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see#2)

"The Awesome Hook is more core dominant with a weaker cover. Rolls up earlier and hooks less. Loses tilt and rotation sooner.

Then mania is more cover dominant. More total hook and continuation on the back end.

Thanks for asking the designer."

The question he was answering was: "How would you compare the reaction of the Mania to the Awesome Hook, in regards to shape and overall hook?

The numbers for both balls are below.

RG Diff. Asym. Diff. Spin Time Surface
Mania 2.486 .051" .013" 6.3 sec 1000 SIAAIR
Awesome Hook 2.498 .055" .028" 5.1 sec 500 Matte"

viewtopic.php?t=258" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see #9)
"Core dominance vs. cover dominance, also, includes the strength of the coverstock. Here are my estimations: Diff. ratios > .25 are core dominant with weak covers. Diff. ratios > .35 are core dominant with weak to medium covers. Diff. ratios > .45 are core dominant with any covers, including "super" covers."

Another quote from Mo to reiterate: (see #8) viewtopic.php?t=207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The 'Ntense is core dominant and the mania is cover dominant. Two different motions. Core dominant balls have more midlane with earlier forward roll. Cover dominant balls have more backend with continuation."

For symmetrical balls, I just use the total diff. as an indication of the core strength since most ball company's put smaller low flaring cores in balls they want to get down the lane easier. You still have to rely on the company to tell you how strong they consider the cover, though. I personally use the evaluations on each coverstock from Bowling This Month's ball reviews.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Some valuable information Layed out by some knowledgeable caring folks.
Don't forget to thank them with a green + show of appreciation.

"Playing Real Good For Free" (Joni Mitchell)
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John