Board index » General Forums » General Bowling




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:41 am Post Number: #1 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 26, 2018
Posts: 18
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Hey this is Eric from Purdue. It's been a while since the last time I posted here.
I have bowled for almost a year now. Kinda stuck at a bottleneck. I feel like there is still something wrong mechanic-wise for me. But things only goes worse if I try to make changes.
I've recorded some shots today. By the end there was a game of 192. I start between 2nd and 3rd arrow because I dont have big hook but still want to create some angle. However, my strike percentage is still abysmal (probly 1 or 2 per game). Also I have more strikes if the ball hit the opposite pocket, its just not right.
Sorry I didn't record a better video. No one was with me so I put my phone against a bottle.


Any help from anyone is appreciated!


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:42 am Post Number: #2 Post
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: April 26, 2007
Posts: 4314
Location: Malta, NY
Reputation: 949
Reputation Power: 10
Bad fit I think based on the hang up and loft. What is with the wrist brace?
See Paul Ridenour to get your fit looked at, folks at Purdue should know how to get in touch with him.
Finish with your index finger pointing right to achieve more hook downlane.

_________________
Please press the Image button if you feel I've been helpful.

“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:57 am Post Number: #3 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 26, 2018
Posts: 18
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
MegaMav wrote:
Bad fit I think based on the hang up and loft. What is with the wrist brace?
See Paul Ridenour to get your fit looked at, folks at Purdue should know how to get in touch with him.
Finish with your index finger pointing right to achieve more hook downlane.

index finger pointing right? isn't it gonna make it more like a back to front rolling straight ball?
I wear the bracer because I tend to break wrist at the downswing, when I try to cock the wrist, it only makes my swing worse.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:04 am Post Number: #4 Post
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: April 26, 2007
Posts: 4314
Location: Malta, NY
Reputation: 949
Reputation Power: 10
Ditch the brace. Dont squeeze the ball, the thumb should be tight enough where it will remain on the hand with minimal grip pressure and release naturally at the bottom of the swing.
Finish thumb up, undex finger pointed to 1 O'Clock.
Dip your shoulder more, get your head over the ball. You'll swing straighter.

_________________
Please press the Image button if you feel I've been helpful.

“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:45 am Post Number: #5 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 26, 2018
Posts: 18
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
MegaMav wrote:
Ditch the brace. Dont squeeze the ball, the thumb should be tight enough where it will remain on the hand with minimal grip pressure and release naturally at the bottom of the swing.
Finish thumb up, undex finger pointed to 1 O'Clock.
Dip your shoulder more, get your head over the ball. You'll swing straighter.

Ok I will give it a try for sure.
It justs sound more like a straight ball, especially when I break my wrist.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:23 am Post Number: #6 Post
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: July 9, 2012
Posts: 1341
Location: Central Florida
Reputation: 462
Reputation Power: 5
Just IMO

I've worn and tried many different wrist braces over the years and that looks to be way too much brace for your hand.

One you need to be wearing that brace when they fit you if your going to use it, to get your fit right. If not you can start hanging in the ball etc. etc.

Plus Braces like that one, you have to concentrate more on controlling it or it controls you. They make your hand start turning the ball early and you'll be tugging the ball left a lot (Which in your video you are) especially if you have it cupped up if you don't watch out.

If you don't want to "ditch" using a brace all together, maybe just try a simpler one like just a firm wrist style. It would let you be more in control of your hand position more.

Or at the very least , take that brace and uncup it. Just have it so your wrist is straight, adjust the side to side so your hand is straight or you have just a little cock to your hand. then when your in your stance holding the ball, rotate your hand till you feel the weight of the ball drop onto your index finger try to hold that position during your swing.

And finish basically the way mega said.

_________________
Click my green + rep button if this helps!
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:19 pm Post Number: #7 Post
Offline
Certified Coach

Joined: December 13, 2014
Posts: 1155
Location: San Juan, PR
Reputation: 196
Reputation Power: 2
Are you working with a qualified coach? If not you should, your learning curve will be much faster (pun intended). 190 for bowling less than a yr is very good. Work with a coach every other week and practice the different drills to learn the modern game. Don’t practice for score. You are a beginner, why not learn the modern game, more power, more speed more strikes.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video

Do not progress to the next drill until you have mastered the previous.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:25 pm Post Number: #8 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 26, 2018
Posts: 18
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
TonyPR wrote:
Are you working with a qualified coach? If not you should, your learning curve will be much faster (pun intended). 190 for bowling less than a yr is very good. Work with a coach every other week and practice the different drills to learn the modern game. Don’t practice for score. You are a beginner, why not learn the modern game, more power, more speed more strikes.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video

Do not progress to the next drill until you have mastered the previous.

Thanks for the reply!
I'm learning from the bowling class offered here in Purdue. Taught by Mr. Doug Wiedman. I don't know if he is qualified but he did write books about bowling before. This is the third time I take the class.
I'm not averaging 190 tho. I'm really varying between 120 to 160. I just can't strike reliably. Can't go anywhere with only 1 or 2 strikes per game.

I know the power, the revs has more error margin, but I'm a really skinny and physical attributes hold me back. So I feel like I'm more like mimicking Norm Duke or Liz Johnson (not power players) rather than Marshall or Chris Barnes.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:59 pm Post Number: #9 Post
Offline
Certified Coach

Joined: December 13, 2014
Posts: 1155
Location: San Juan, PR
Reputation: 196
Reputation Power: 2
Google EJ Tacket, doesn’t get any skinnier than him.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:27 pm Post Number: #10 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: May 19, 2016
Posts: 33
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Wow, that bowling alley has sure changed a lot in 35 years. Boiler Up!

_________________
My Arsenal: Roto Grip HyperCell Fused, Storm Crux Pearl, Storm Timeless, and Storm Punch Out


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:51 pm Post Number: #11 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 26, 2018
Posts: 18
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
TonyPR wrote:
Google EJ Tacket, doesn’t get any skinnier than him.

I know EJ Tacket isn't as bulky as many other pros. I have no idea how he managed to lift the ball that high and get those power revs.
I mean, EJ is one in a million isnt he?


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:51 pm Post Number: #12 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 26, 2018
Posts: 18
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
skfboiler wrote:
Wow, that bowling alley has sure changed a lot in 35 years. Boiler Up!

WHAT?! 35 years?!
It has existed for that long?


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:58 pm Post Number: #13 Post
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: April 26, 2007
Posts: 4314
Location: Malta, NY
Reputation: 949
Reputation Power: 10
Augustblade wrote:
I know the power, the revs has more error margin, but I'm a really skinny and physical attributes hold me back. So I feel like I'm more like mimicking Norm Duke or Liz Johnson (not power players) rather than Marshall or Chris Barnes.


No shame in that.
This is me on a challenge level oil pattern:


_________________
Please press the Image button if you feel I've been helpful.

“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:07 am Post Number: #14 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 26, 2018
Posts: 18
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
bowl1820 wrote:
Just IMO

I've worn and tried many different wrist braces over the years and that looks to be way too much brace for your hand.

One you need to be wearing that brace when they fit you if your going to use it, to get your fit right. If not you can start hanging in the ball etc. etc.

Plus Braces like that one, you have to concentrate more on controlling it or it controls you. They make your hand start turning the ball early and you'll be tugging the ball left a lot (Which in your video you are) especially if you have it cupped up if you don't watch out.

If you don't want to "ditch" using a brace all together, maybe just try a simpler one like just a firm wrist style. It would let you be more in control of your hand position more.

Or at the very least , take that brace and uncup it. Just have it so your wrist is straight, adjust the side to side so your hand is straight or you have just a little cock to your hand. then when your in your stance holding the ball, rotate your hand till you feel the weight of the ball drop onto your index finger try to hold that position during your swing.

And finish basically the way mega said.

You are right, I did have the bracer cupped to its maximum to achieve the "cupped wrist" position for the smooth roll and rev rate.
I'll start to not use it I guess.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:21 am Post Number: #15 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: May 19, 2016
Posts: 33
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Augustblade wrote:
WHAT?! 35 years?!
It has existed for that long?

Yes, if that is the same alley in the basement of the Student Union.

_________________
My Arsenal: Roto Grip HyperCell Fused, Storm Crux Pearl, Storm Timeless, and Storm Punch Out


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:06 am Post Number: #16 Post
Offline
Certified Coach

Joined: December 13, 2014
Posts: 1155
Location: San Juan, PR
Reputation: 196
Reputation Power: 2
MegaMav wrote:

No shame in that.
This is me on a challenge level oil pattern:



Now that is a smooth technique!


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:21 am Post Number: #17 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 26, 2018
Posts: 18
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
MegaMav wrote:
Ditch the brace. Dont squeeze the ball, the thumb should be tight enough where it will remain on the hand with minimal grip pressure and release naturally at the bottom of the swing.
Finish thumb up, undex finger pointed to 1 O'Clock.
Dip your shoulder more, get your head over the ball. You'll swing straighter.




I bowled some games today without bracer and asked my friend to recorded a few shots.
It just looks not smooth at all.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:51 pm Post Number: #18 Post
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: April 26, 2007
Posts: 4314
Location: Malta, NY
Reputation: 949
Reputation Power: 10
You're either grabbing it or your fit is bad.
Seek out Paul Ridenour like I mentioned in my previous post.
Get refitted.

Ignore the comments from the peanut gallery.
Add some surface, 2000 pad on that ball and stay down at the line, hold your finish.
Roll the ball off your hand and dont help it.

_________________
Please press the Image button if you feel I've been helpful.

“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:50 pm Post Number: #19 Post
Offline
Certified Coach

Joined: December 13, 2014
Posts: 1155
Location: San Juan, PR
Reputation: 196
Reputation Power: 2
Eric, I agree with you on checking his fit, putting more surface on the ball and working on the different aspects of his physical game you mentioned. As I recommend above, the Kegel drills are great for this and working with a qualified coach will shorten his learning curve a lot. Doesn’t have to become a power player, ok you made your point with your video but doing drills and working with a coach in my opinion is the way to go. Peanut man over and out.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Stucking at a bottleneck
 Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:53 pm Post Number: #20 Post
Offline
Certified Coach

Joined: December 13, 2014
Posts: 1155
Location: San Juan, PR
Reputation: 196
Reputation Power: 2
Augustblade wrote:
I know EJ Tacket isn't as bulky as many other pros. I have no idea how he managed to lift the ball that high and get those power revs.
I mean, EJ is one in a million isnt he?


It’s all in the technique, not much strength required... although I agree he is a freak, just wanted to show you being skinny isn’t an obstacle.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » General Forums » General Bowling


 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: