Time to switch?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Vrsick13
Preferred Company: Storm/ roto grip

Time to switch?

Post by Vrsick13 »

I am a new league bowler worh an average of 148(bowling less then a year) I bowl thumbless and im really not that bad. My question is, should i move to using my thinb and learning how to throw again or should i keep developing my thumbless technique?
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Re: Time to switch?

Post by RobMautner »

If you are going to continue thumbless, find a coach who will teach you the two-handed technique. Otherwise, learn to bowl with your thumb in the ball.
MeNoRevs
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 120
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4 x 1 ^
Preferred Company: I prefer them all

Post by MeNoRevs »

RobMautner wrote:If you are going to continue thumbless, find a coach who will teach you the two-handed technique. Otherwise, learn to bowl with your thumb in the ball.
Why shouldn't he throw it with no thumb in the ball without being 2 handed? Your personal preference? There seems to still be some good thumbless one handed bowlers out there.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Vrsick13, welcome to the forum.

A few splinters from the top of my head.

Anyone seeking improvement and attainment of their potential, should by all means work with a qualified instructor and a PSO (Pro Shop Operator).

Most bowler's can stand improvement in their percentage of spare conversions.
Whenever you have completed a game, calculate what your score would have been had you converted each spare that was not a split.

Some two handers shoot their spares using the 1 handed swing with the thumb in the ball.
Oscu Palermaa is one.

I have bowled thumbless both 1 and 2 handed swings, I made more spares using the thumb.

Most spares should be converted by rolling the ball straight, taking the lane condition out of the equation, not to mention variances in the bowler's delivery which can impact how and where a ball hooks. Speed variances in a straight ball do not normally effect direction.

Look at Ray Wong's video. Note his system for converting spares.

[youtube][/youtube]

Your bowling style does NOT have to be limited to 1 way.

There are very few if any athletes to are completely aware of what they look like in the performance of their sport.

There is no coach that cannot benefit from using video. Consider that when seeking a coach.
The BEST in the world use video cams.

Regardless of style, it is ESSENTIAL that you be able to consistently roll the ball over two targets or points on a lane. Not doing so is hoping for help from something outside your control (oil, lane, luck, ...).

Be patient, but be dedicated.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by RobMautner »

MeNoRevs wrote:
Why shouldn't he throw it with no thumb in the ball without being 2 handed? Your personal preference? There seems to still be some good thumbless one handed bowlers out there.
No, not my personal preference. In order to remain accurate using a one-handed thumbless release, the ball speed has to be to slow for modern equipment and lane conditions. With all the great bowlers on the PBA Tour, only Tom Dougherty (sp?) uses this style, and he is forced to use urethane most of the time. The fact that at modern PBA events, about a quarter of the field is throwing two handed says that this style is here to stay.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Bill Hall was the guest on the Phantom show of July 18.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bill had a few comments on the two handed style.
40% of his students are two handers.
Bill feels that this style and bowler's like Belmo and Osku, stimulated a lot of interest from young bowler's.

The more pitches you master, the better off you are.

Years ago, there was a bowler on tour, Kelly Coffman, he could rip the cover off the ball.
Never won a national title. Saw him whiff a lot of 10 pins, I've never seen Belmo miss one.
That's talent!

Y'all be well, be safe, and be happy.

John
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by RobMautner »

Bill's a good friend of mine, and I remember having some great discussions with Kelly. God, I'm feeling old! LOL
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

RobMautner wrote:Bill's a good friend of mine, and I remember having some great discussions with Kelly. God, I'm feeling old! LOL
Ha!
Greetings fellow fossil ...
I don't use FaceBook often but recently a friend shared a video.
The star was an old gent. Some of the language was spicy.
He was probably losing his edge, but not his sense of humor.
He had forgotten his age and someone was there to help him remember.
Well as the old man guessed, as the numbers got higher, his comments grew a bit more colorful.
Skipping ahead, he was born in 1919.
If I can find the link, I will share it
Through it all, he never lost his humor ...

Satchel Paige, ace pitcher and sage quipped, "How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you were".

I am a real admirer of Bill and his work. I get the impression he is quite a good man.
I've got a binder with a lot of his articles over the years. If I were young and serious about being all I could be on the lanes, I'd seek him out.

I remember seeing Kelly convert a 10 pin and walking back to his seat while grinning ear to ear in John Jowdy's direction.

A big shout out to Bob Summerville (R.I.P), founder of Bowling This Month.
I subscribed somewhere along the line, so I don't have them all, but I've kept every edition.
Always looked forward to getting them, read them cover to cover that day.
Bill was a true educator, another good man who died young!

Take care!!

John
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by RobMautner »

Thanks, I will. I'm just counting the weeks until I can start bowling again after neck surgery. You do the same.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

One of my best friend bowls one handed no thumb, has about 500 rpms 20 mph off the hand, 15* of tilt and 50ish axis rotation, averages over 200 and is good on house and sport. I coach him every now and then. He uses a plastic ball for spares and is very accurate but has learned to keep the ballside arm close to his torso on the downswing, hand behind the ball and releases close to his ankle, ball under head. Since the backswing is so short timing is key, especially ball start. It can be done if you have a good coach and are a strong man. Two handed bowling is a very efficient way to bowl but it’s a whole different technique. Whatever you decide, find a good coach and practice for technique not for score, one thing at a time, be patient and consistent.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent