Increasing ball speed for 2-hander

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley1994

Increasing ball speed for 2-hander

Post by Smiley1994 »

I am new to bowling 2-handed. I am into my 2nd season. Even though my ball speed has improved from when I bowled with my thumb in the ball, I am finding that with the large increase in rev rate, and the less volume of oil I typically bowl on, I am in a need for some more speed.

Any tips, drills, suggestions on how I can achieve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Increasing ball speed for 2-hander

Post by 44boyd »

Your YouTube links in the other post don’t work. Depends if you are giving effort like Maldonado or smooth looking like Troup.
Stacy
Smiley1994

Post by Smiley1994 »

I did it wrong then, I will try again... I am new to posting on here so I am unclear as to how to do that properly.

** I just clicked on all 3 links I posted and I get them to work just fine. Weird. **
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Can you double check to see if they’re labeled private? Or what’s your username so I can look you up?
Stacy
Smiley1994

Post by Smiley1994 »

I changed them to public. Let me know if that works.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

IT works, do you have any real speed videos throwing 2 handed? You might have to start throwing urethane and lofting like most 2 handers to keep it from over reacting.
Stacy
Smiley1994

Post by Smiley1994 »

I am already throwing my Pitch Black in 3 of the 4 houses I bowl at. I also have a shined up Rhino and BTU and a Super Natural. My speed is around 15mph which I think is too slow. Which is why I am trying to figure out how to add speed.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Well from some of the coaching vid it looks like you’re coming around it, maybe try to stay behind it more to give you some length. Hard to tell what your foot effort and speed are, doesn’t seem extreme so you might need a better Belmote hop in there.
Stacy
Smiley1994

Post by Smiley1994 »

So you think I am coming around the side of the ball too early creating too much side roll if I am understanding you correctly? I'm not sure how to stay behind it longer for it feels like I am staying behind it....
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Smiley1994 wrote:So you think I am coming around the side of the ball too early creating too much side roll if I am understanding you correctly? I'm not sure how to stay behind it longer for it feels like I am staying behind it....
At the end of the coaching video he talks about how to push the elbow thru and that will turn the hand. Like I said earlier, loft is a major part of their game for those that can’t get Belmo speed. Hopefully the more you practice it gets natural so you will loosen up some. Daria Pajak has a video up from Ireland showing Simonsen using plastic, so that might be an option too. Remember Jesper has like 8 different Pitch Blacks so you might need to try different layouts too to get some versatility.
Stacy
gunso

Post by gunso »

Couple of drills I'd recommend for speed and staying behind the ball.

One is throwing a few shots throwing a slight backup ball at the 10 pin or just anything really, just don't try and make it hook much and then throw a regular shot in between.

The other is hold the bowling ball off the approach, not with your fingers in it, walk casually to the foul line and put your fingers in the bowling ball and throw the shot. This teaches you timing and more importantly a power step and you'll be surprised how fast you'll throw the ball with many revs with this strategy. Throw a few of these in between regular shots.

The foul line drill is also a classic to help you stay behind the ball.
Smiley1994

Post by Smiley1994 »

Thank you! I will try both of these things in practice. I don't quite follow the last one too clearly though. If I understand correctly, you want me to pick up my ball and put my fingers in it as I get close to releasing it 2-handed at the line?
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Two handed bowler here, Bronze Level Coach, have experience coaching two handers and had a coaching session last November with Del Warren who has coached many top level two handers including Kyle, Belmo and Jesper. I will get back to answering your questions as soon as have some time later on. Post videos in the certified coaching section, Jim is also very well versed in coaching two handers, not many coaches available that really know how to coach the style so take any advice with a grain of salt. I am currently working on speed with my game (an ongoing thing) and with two other youth athletes one if them is my daughter. Speed comes from timing, lag and the proper use of your legs, I'll elaborate as soon as I can, stay posted.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Smiley1994

Post by Smiley1994 »

Thank you for your reply! I look forward to reading your future posts regarding this! I struggled so bad bowling 1 handed as my videos show. I really want to do all I can and practice as many of the "right" things possible to get better at this.
gunso

Post by gunso »

just put them in when you start walking towards the line just don't have them in before you start so as to get your natural rhythm going
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Many people who are new to the two handed technique tend to try and use both hands to rotate the ball. Doing so, will cause your throwing arm to go around the ball, similar to what we call "chicken wing" for a one hand bowler. Even though you're using both hands to stabilize the ball through the swing, the throwing arm must stay behind the ball.

When instructing two hand bowlers, I use the imagery of holding a shovel with a T handle. Now, we're going to imagine filling the shovel with snow (or dirt), throwing it about 15 feet, straight forward, and low to the ground. You could emulate this motion in front of a full length mirror.
LittleTiger

Post by LittleTiger »

Smiley1994 wrote:So you think I am coming around the side of the ball too early creating too much side roll if I am understanding you correctly? I'm not sure how to stay behind it longer for it feels like I am staying behind it....
You can easily see that your hand is side of the ball (axis rotation at least 45*) from video which you posted to youtube:
Smiley1994.PNG
To make it easier to understand why this is critical thing I created simulation for you by using Powerhouse Blueprint. Delivery parameters are: ball speed 15 mph, rev rate 500 rpm, axis tilt 0, loft distance 1 inch. Only things which changes between shots is axis rotation and line to play:
500rpm_15mph_house_shot.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smiley1994

Post by Smiley1994 »

I can totally see that! Thank you for posting this. I really need to not come around the side of the ball like this. I have to work on a drill or drills to come up the back of the ball for the release instead of coming around on it so early. The side roll I am sure creates early turn and too much hook before I need it. And it clearly shows why I don't struggle on a pattern that is flooded inside of 10 board but yet I really do struggle when there's much less volume forcing me to use urethane or other weaker equipment... If I am answering this correctly that is.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Here is a video of a fellow that I've worked with.

[youtube][/youtube]
Smiley1994

Post by Smiley1994 »

That looks great! I would like to have that kind of shot/performance. What area of the country are you for coaching?