Follow-up to Article Research

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Follow-up to Article Research

Post by RobMautner »

Thank you to those of you who participated in my Article Research thread. You may be surprised to know that there are "right" answers. It is not just a matter of opinion. Not surprisingly, J Merrill had all of the right answers.

To continue, I would like to address one of the two themes addressed in the research questions: lane differences. Lane differences do exist, and if you start bowling on a "pair" of lanes that have been freshly oiled assuming that the two lanes will play the same, you will be wrong over 90% of the time. Conversely, if you expect the lanes to play differently, you will be right over 90% of the time. As both lanes were oiled the same, the differences are obviously not because of the oil. As you have just started, they are also not because of other bowlers. The differences are because of topography. The term is bandied about by bowlers all the time, but few really understand what topography is.

For a really great overview of topography, go to the following link: http://www.kegel.net/topography-study/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. To see topographic differences in lanes up close and personal, just look at the reflection on a freshly oiled synthetic lane. If the surface of the lane was perfectly flat, the reflection would be perfect, but it never is. There are peaks and valleys, and areas of the lane that are slightly tilted and those things affect how you ball rolls on the individual lane.

Because of the differences in topography, the differences between lanes are much more than just, "the left lane hooks more, and the right lane's tighter." The differences often define the miss room: the area that you can miss and still get back to the pocket. It is often the case that one lane forgives misses to the outside and the other lane forgives misses inside. Once you learn to look for this, you can use it to your advantage.

Sometimes the differences between the two lanes that make up a "pair" are too subtle to see just from your own shots. This is where the scoreboard can be your best friend. If you see one or more bowlers who are striking on one lane and sparing on the other, you can be 100% sure that the two lanes are not playing the same.

Does this all make sense to you?
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Follow-up to Article Research

Post by MegaMav »

I think its important to state a large majority of synthetic lanes installed are very much flat to start.
They change from temperature and humidity fluctuations that occur inside and outside the building.
Topography isnt a static thing, its always in flux and highlights the importance of reading your ball motion.
It is not the proprietor's fault this happens, unless they're negligent with their climate control.
Its one of the real stinkers with synthetic lanes, and whats even worse is USBC hasnt wised up to the fact that synthetics have so much variance and leave the certification process lax for this lane surface.
I am not intimate with certifications, but, I think side to side pitch they only need to test on 3 parts of each lane.
Who knows what really happens behind the scenes during the process?
Do they search for 3 spots that are legal to certify? Does the rest of the lane not matter?

Different conversation.

Topography is a big deal when it comes to fairness in tournaments. Cross a bad pair and it could sink you. There shouldnt be a luck of the draw. We should compete knowing its in OUR control.
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

Very true! A few years ago, I served on the Board of the SNUSBC and was involved in lane certifications for a couple of years. Honestly, they are a joke. You go to one of the three spots and check the lanes. If it's out of spec, you move back three feet and check again. If it's still out of spec, you move three feet ahead of the original spot and shot again. Ureka, it's in spec! Walk away and say that the lane is legal. Honestly, it's one of the reasons that I resigned from the board. It really is a joke. But, yes, the topic of another conversation.

My whole point with this research and the upcoming article is that when bowlers assume that lanes are only affected by the oil, they cannot possibly reach their scoring potential.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

The great Mark Roth kept a book on every lane he ever bowled on, or so it was reported.
While much of Mark's career preceded synthetic lanes, topography was still at the TOP of the list of determinate factors. Parker Bohn III gave me a personal lesson in topography a few decades ago.
Bowling This Month (BTM) has had at least one article on the subject over the years.
My only regret about BTM is I did not subscribe from the get go.
I learned a TON of things reading the wisdom of a diverse set of experts.
I've often said that Bob Summerville (founder) did as much if not more to teach, enlighten, and stimulate my mind about this great sport.
Thanks to BTM for being the ONLY educational bowling periodical (I know of).
BTM's archives are a treasure trove.

Another issue that has to be dealt with is the surface (floor, ground) upon which the lane beds are put upon.

Cheerio!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Lane topography is 99% invisible unless the lane physically dips or has a high spot. We can see that and respond to it. To me, topography is another one of those modern "mystical" phrases. Now, if someone is going to provide the actual lane analysis, that is a different story.

Has anyone ever been in a situation where a shot just randomly goes left, right, starts up later, or earlier and everyone sitting in the settee says: "Area check!"? If a bowler is very well practiced, they will / should recognize the lane has changed then respond to the ball reaction they have just witnessed. Honestly, I just don't see how someone could roll a bad shot and make an adjustment. Not moving the ball or releasing the ball effectively would not constitute a move on behalf of the bowler. Simply, it's poor execution.

How many bowling balls to take? Two! One pearl, one solid. The missing part of the questionnaire? How many abralon pads do you bring?

Sometimes, we can get too caught up in the intricate side of bowling. Like the guy who brings 10 balls to combat a million possible case scenarios, by the time he gets to the 5th one, it's time to go home. Also makes us bowl an hour longer.

Here's what a Hall of Fame bowler told me: "Sometimes the lanes will not be to your liking. Shoot 190, go home, and forget about it". I like that idea!

Thanks for posting Rob!
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Tomahawk wrote - Here's what a Hall of Fame bowler told me: "Sometimes the lanes will not be to your liking. Shoot 190, go home, and forget about it". I like that idea!
Like Jim Croce wrote, "You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spin into the wind ...".

Sometimes 190 wins, be that as it may, look upon challenge and adversity as opportunities for learning and adaptive growth.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

kajmk wrote:My only regret about BTM is I did not subscribe from the get go.I learned a TON of things reading the wisdom of a diverse set of experts.I've often said that Bob Summerville (founder) did as much if not more to teach, enlighten, and stimulate my mind about this great sport.Thanks to BTM for being the ONLY educational bowling periodical (I know of).BTM's archives are a treasure trove
God Bless the late Bob Summerville. He did as much as anyone to advance the sport of bowling. I still miss him.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by ads »

Wood lanes can be resurfaced. Any kinds of maintenance synthetic lanes can have to level them and to repair those crown and depression?
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*