Bowling with Injuries

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

GrizzlyAdam
Speed: 18mph
Light Oil Ball: The alley I frequent is very dry.
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Bowling with Injuries

Post by GrizzlyAdam »

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have been on the bowlingboards.com forums, but so much stuff is so broken there that I thought I would look for another forum that functions better.

I am a left-handed, straight-throwing bowler. I used to bowl infrequently, maybe every other month, and did decently. A little over three years ago I injured my left shoulder playing sand volleyball (turned out there was a concrete pad under about 3-4 inches of sand OUCH!) and didn't touch a bowling ball for over two years.

I recently got back into the sport and am now bowling 3-4 games a week for about the last year (minus two months, I will get to that in a minute). My shoulder still isn't what one would call healthy but I am basically using bowling as rehab to strengthen my arm and keep it limber. I am now using an 11 pound Brunswick T Zone ball but I think I am ready to go back up in weight. I have a 16lb Brunswick Axis that may be too much for me yet, but I have noticed that I am lofting the T Zone so I got to try something different.

At the beginning of July I tore my left Achilles tendon and spent the rest of the summer in a boot. I did not bowl at all until just last week, when I was cleared to return to the game. So now I have that injury in the back of my head too. Also, once again I got out of my groove, but yesterday I bowled 5 games and I think I have gotten back to wear I was in July.

I just finished resurfacing the Axis so it will be ready for me to try when I play again on Wednesday.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and give you my recent backstory. And just because everyone seems to like pics, here is one of the Axis I just got done resurfacing-- it is from Jan of '92.

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Bowling with Injuries

Post by kajmk »

Welcome to BowlingChat Grizly Adam.
I wish you good health no more injuries.

Regarding any fitness regimen, the mantra check with your doctor always applies.

Most of us can stand to improve our level of physical fitness.
Here is a thread on the forum that I set up as a possible focal point.
There are numerous posts on the forum on the topic.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12401&p=96107#p96107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be sure to visit the forums wiki, available via the option near the top of the screen.
The search option is also a valuable tool.

A wiki references

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... hould_Know" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be sure to have a warm up routine before bowling. Unfortunately I rarely see people doing these things, many of whom should know better.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Personally, I've found the Askdrjo videos to be valuable as well as the athlean-x
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=ask%20dr%20jo&sm=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=athlean-x&sm=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy the forum and the sport.

Cheerio
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

going from a 11lb ball to a 16 sounds like a big step there. The best thing to do is try it out and make sure you don't force the ball at all and let it drop and have a smooth swing. If your shoulder hurts at all the first game (have to make sure you warm it up before you bowl. I do 4-5 sets of a rotator cuff exercise with 5lbs and I do 25-30), I would stop and not try to use it any more. Maybe work your way up to a 14 or something first. If it doesn't hurt until maybe the 3rd game, then you might be in good shape enough to use it. I have to watch my shoulder every week now. I have just started going back to the gym. I used to be able to do all the way up to 100lb dumbels with the flat chest press but today, I took it easy and did 30lbs each. My left arm was shaking a bit just doing that. You might want to go to the gym to try to strengthen whatever muscle are bad or the surrounding muscles. I am still doing exercise from rehab for the surrounding muscles in the shoulder to make that clearning larger for the tendon or whatever to go through.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Welcome to BowlingChat, thanks for choosing us to post.
Its all about easing yourself in, I think you have the right idea with the lighter weight.
Increments of weight and its possible you may not be able to throw as much weight pre-injury for a while.
Remember, no shame in 14lbs. With modern technology the lighter ball carry is better now than ever.

Have fun and keep us updated on your progress.
GrizzlyAdam

Post by GrizzlyAdam »

Thanks to everyone for the input. I will definitely be adding a stretching routine before the first throw. As I have said before (maybe it was the other board) if the 16 doesn't work I will then do something different, I am not going to leave myself open to further pain. But since it is the ball I have, it is where I will start. Come Hanukkah I will have the boy's 13 lb ball to try as well (don't tell him, it's the candy apple red tzone he saw at the alley). His is driller the same as mine.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

GrizlyAdam, do you have any bowling goals at this point?

If time permits, I encourage you to find a good instructor who can help you develop an efficient game, avoid injuries, improve performance.
Learn to swing with effortless power, not powerless effort.

Balance, flexibility, mobility are key physical components.
If you watch pro bowler's you will see that most of them make it look easy.
Lady pros typically are very good examples of form and enlisting rather than resisting the laws of physics.

Be sure to check out the wiki.

Essential !
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... p_Pressure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The kegel teen master tips is a nice set of short videos that can help.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be well!

John
GrizzlyAdam

Post by GrizzlyAdam »

I just got home after bowling three games-- all with the 16lb Axis. The first game it felt like the ball was throwing me around a little bit, but things smoothed out in the second and even more so in the third game. My shoulder held up good and is touch sore, but it's good sore-- like after I do my rehab exercises. The only five pins that I had issue were on the Wii when I was loosening up before we headed out :P

All in all, I quick liked the ball and I look forward to using it again the weekend.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I think the feeling of the ball "throwing you around a bit" is a sign of some kind of bad timing. Probably early timing. I personally have never ever felt the ball feel like it was pulling me anywhere. It might be hard to tell if your soreness is due to your exercise or bowling since your doing both. ON sunday, you shouldn't be any more sore then you were when you went to bowl the day you bowled this week. If you are more sore I don't know if I would risk it. Its extremely hard to bowl sore. I haven't worked out my chest in about 2 years due to all kinds of injuries. I did 3 different chest exercises 4 sets of 12-15 to almost faliure each time on Saturday night. Sunday night and monday night I couldn't even lay in the bed on my back and lay the back of my arms on my pillow opening my chest up. Every time I did, I would scream and have to pull it back. I couldn't do it for any amount of money. I couldn't even and still can't even raise my left hand over my head. On the same day I did 12 sets for my back but none to faliure and can't really feel that much of all. The point being I felt like I fell off a cliff when I walked into the bowling alley before I started. I ended up with the lowest game I have shot since probably I was 8. I ended up with a 122. (1-2, 9-10 frame split, also missed 10 pin, threw strike ball at a 3 pin semi bucket instead of a straight ball missed). My wrist felt good coming in and then was really hurt by the 3rd game. I just did 1 hour of the eliptical machine last night non stop for my first time back, I have no idea what that is going to do. From what I remeber it takes a good 3 weeks of going ot the gym etc to get to the point where the soreness is managable. I know I got a little long with this but maybe you can relate to some of that.

My suggestion is to see if you can get someone to take a video of you throwing your ball and post it in the coaches forum. I don't like what hear about the ball feeling like it is pulling on you.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Good point by krava regarding creating a video of yourself.
Post that on the Certified Coaches Forum.

Here is a recommendation for creating videos
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a swing related drill that you can do and will only cost you a Nickel.
The following thread happens to discuss shoulder issues. It has a description of a drill recommended by Michelle Mullen, it's called "the nickel drill"

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13109&p=101679&hilit=Nickel#p101679" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Within the wiki, there are also numerous references
One such is to Ron Clifton's site.
Here is an article germane to an important component of the swing. Note the mental trick referencing a Thumbtack.

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip12.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be well, bowl well, score better.

Cheerio!

John
GrizzlyAdam

Post by GrizzlyAdam »

krava wrote:I think the feeling of the ball "throwing you around a bit" is a sign of some kind of bad timing. Probably early timing. I personally have never ever felt the ball feel like it was pulling me anywhere. It might be hard to tell if your soreness is due to your exercise or bowling since your doing both. ON sunday, you shouldn't be any more sore then you were when you went to bowl the day you bowled this week. If you are more sore I don't know if I would risk it. Its extremely hard to bowl sore. I haven't worked out my chest in about 2 years due to all kinds of injuries. I did 3 different chest exercises 4 sets of 12-15 to almost faliure each time on Saturday night. Sunday night and monday night I couldn't even lay in the bed on my back and lay the back of my arms on my pillow opening my chest up. Every time I did, I would scream and have to pull it back. I couldn't do it for any amount of money. I couldn't even and still can't even raise my left hand over my head. On the same day I did 12 sets for my back but none to faliure and can't really feel that much of all. The point being I felt like I fell off a cliff when I walked into the bowling alley before I started. I ended up with the lowest game I have shot since probably I was 8. I ended up with a 122. (1-2, 9-10 frame split, also missed 10 pin, threw strike ball at a 3 pin semi bucket instead of a straight ball missed). My wrist felt good coming in and then was really hurt by the 3rd game. I just did 1 hour of the eliptical machine last night non stop for my first time back, I have no idea what that is going to do. From what I remeber it takes a good 3 weeks of going ot the gym etc to get to the point where the soreness is managable. I know I got a little long with this but maybe you can relate to some of that.

My suggestion is to see if you can get someone to take a video of you throwing your ball and post it in the coaches forum. I don't like what hear about the ball feeling like it is pulling on you.
No worries with the ball throwing me, I meant it as a figure of speach mainly. It just took some time to adjust to the bigger weight. That includes mental adjustments and a couple physical adjustments with my stance and release. It was a different world, but all is right.

I do have a bit of shoulder soreness this evening but that is from running cat6 cable theough suspended ceiling and crawlspace for 7 hours. I felt great when I woke up, but the demand task took a bit of the piss out of me. Doing a heat/ice cycle with a bit of liquid painkiller (gin) and the sun will likely rise tomorrow.
GrizzlyAdam

Post by GrizzlyAdam »

kajmk wrote:Good point by krava regarding creating a video of yourself.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The following thread happens to discuss shoulder issues. It has a description of a drill recommended by Michelle Mullen, it's called "the nickel drill"

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13109&p=101679&hilit=Nickel#p101679" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is an article germane to an important component of the swing. Note the mental trick referencing a Thumbtack.

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip12.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheerio!
Thanks, after I am done giving the Axis a bath I will check the links out. I noticed one is an article on mental tricks. If anyone can help with this issue I have been having, I will be greatful. Sometimes as I am just about to release I have a pop come from my good shoulder (most likely the trapezius muscle relaxing as the worse shoulder gets looser). The pop doesn't hurt, but it does cuse me to break mental focus, and it is too late to safely stop my through. And tips on blocking this out until after the throw?
GrizzlyAdam

Post by GrizzlyAdam »

kajmk wrote:Good point by krava regarding creating a video of yourself.

Cheerio!

A drill:
Swing drill by way of Michelle Mullen (spelling), met her, was coached by her when she held a seminar at ASU.
You will need a nickel.
Place the nickel in the palm of your hand, keep the hand OPEN, place and swing it, do not lose the nickel.
You can not grab it. Centrifugal force will keep it on your hand, this can also foster good arm position as if you roll the forearm, the nickel will slide.

More details please, I don't fully understand what to do.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Hopefully, you've had the shoulder popping checked out by a doctor and it's not a serious injury pending.

Not meant to replace any doctor diagnosis, just a short video that addresses a situation
[youtube][/youtube]

How to ignore the popping or not let it spook you? Very good question?
I'd only be guessing and offering trial and error stuff.
Some tennis players grunt as they hit the ball, baseball players too. Play a song inside your mind, something in the tempo of your approach.

On the nickel drill, it's a simple drill to get the feeling of a free swing, the idea is to allow the nickel to stay on your hand via letting the arm fall. If you force the arm down and up, the nickel will fly off.

Ron Clifton's imaginary Thumbtack between your hand and the ball is a thought to dissuade you from forcing the swing down, "let it fall"

This short video with Ron Hoppe uses a bowling tool to help learn a gravity based swing "free swing". I have a drinking vessel with a handle on top that can be used in a similar fashion as the same thing happens if I force the swing.

[youtube][/youtube]

Jim Merrell's Free Swing Drill
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... im_Merrell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John
GrizzlyAdam

Post by GrizzlyAdam »

I bowled my best game since the Achilles tear tonight. Actually since the week before the tear, but that was due to Independence Day weekend being all cosmic all the time and the arrows were invisible under that lighting. Game 1 was a little rough, I am still working on getting my accuracy up with the heavier ball. By the 2nd game I was starting to feel it. If there would have been a game three, I think it would have been even better. I am getting comfortable with the heavier weight, my shoulder is feeling good. There was no game three this week because we had all the kids with and that gets expensive fast!