cost cutting for cleaning supplies.....

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

turbotwister
Preferred Company: storm

cost cutting for cleaning supplies.....

Post by turbotwister »

with the cost of cleaning supplies on the market today and if you use 3-4 balls during your league play, it can be quit expensive to use some of these cleaning fluids that i have 3-4 days a week. i've added water to some to thin them down and don't notice any difference in the cleaning power or even added alcohol to some. what are some of the tricks that you guys go to , to get more bang for your buck?
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: cost cutting for cleaning supplies.....

Post by kajmk »

Just a referral to a maintenance regimen.
See Gary's post
viewtopic.php?p=50989#p50989" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As with any treatment, we only want to kill the disease, not the patient or the doctor ...
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
turbotwister

Post by turbotwister »

as far as maintenance goes, i'm a stickler about that. I keep a record book of all the days and maintenance that i do on all of my balls. i clean all of my balls when i'm done with league play and i resurface my equipment every 2 months ( @80 games +practice) , sanding (open pores) and then put them in my rejuvenator oven (starting out low temp and raising from there) and get no oil what so ever. then i go on with sanding from 360-500-1000-2000-4000 and depending on the finish ( sanded or polished) i stop there. I have been using powerhouse clean n dull for cleaning and then i use black magic xxx ( with spinner) to polish (sometimes compound 1st ,then polish) if my balls call for polish. i also find that sanding (abralon pads),cleaning and polishing, that it can get expensive and that's why i try to water down ( water or alcohol) those products to cut down on the cost. i just wondered what you bowlers do to save on the cost of products?
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

I don't water down my cleaners, Spray & foaming nozzles and only using what is needed helps control usage.

As for polish/compounds I only use what is needed, It don't take much to polish a ball.

As for abrasives like Abralon, I've gone back to using wet/dry sandpaper instead on my spinner. Effectively there's no differences in the surfaces you can produce on a ball using paper vs Abralon.

It's cheaper, lasts longer, You can get it in P-scale grit just like Abralon uses (US grit will work just look at a conversion chart). if you want a soft back just hold a old abralon pad or sponge on the back of the paper. If you get velcro backed paper it will stick on a CAB (Contour Abrasion Block).

And as always shop around for product, find the deals.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 45
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Post by Viper »

turbotwister wrote:as far as maintenance goes, i'm a stickler about that. I keep a record book of all the days and maintenance that i do on all of my balls. i clean all of my balls when i'm done with league play and i resurface my equipment every 2 months ( @80 games +practice) , sanding (open pores) and then put them in my rejuvenator oven (starting out low temp and raising from there) and get no oil what so ever. then i go on with sanding from 360-500-1000-2000-4000 and depending on the finish ( sanded or polished) i stop there. I have been using powerhouse clean n dull for cleaning and then i use black magic xxx ( with spinner) to polish (sometimes compound 1st ,then polish) if my balls call for polish. i also find that sanding (abralon pads),cleaning and polishing, that it can get expensive and that's why i try to water down ( water or alcohol) those products to cut down on the cost. i just wondered what you bowlers do to save on the cost of products?
A kindred spirit!

I buy in bulk, that is, quart-size. If it's something I use infrequently, I will find a teammate or fellow bowler(s) to go in with me on buying the quart-size, and we'll share. Any smaller quantity I avoid unless I am going to experiment using it. I wouldn't cut any of the products personally. I am judicious in their use so they last me a reasonable amount in time and cost.

Like 1820, I don't use Abralon (exception to follow), instead I use non-woven pads that I buy from a woodworking store, but I will also use/buy the foam-backed lower grits sandpaper, 180 thru 800, that they sell for 50-cents a square. Too, I use the other sandpapers they sell, some foam-backed, for the higher grits. For the 4000 I will use the Abralon or something equivalent, bought in bulk, again, going in with a group to make the purchase. I also look for sales on the cleaners and polishes. They are infrequent, but they do surface from time-to-time.

Hope this helps,

Viper/Joe
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera
turbotwister

Post by turbotwister »

i'm looking into scotch brite ,they come in different grits and a lot cheaper than abralon also. i use to use wet sandpaper a long time ago too.