What is missing in bowling ed?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Since we never know for sure who cavorts through these cyber hallways and for what ever reason, a laugh, a question, an answer, a sleepless night, what do you think is missing in the
bowlers ed game i.e. books, periodicals, videos (the things people use to help learn things)?

Books, videos, websites, what are your perceived deficiencies?
What do you perceive as ambiguities in anything you've read or watched.
What would you like to see clarified.
Where do they fail you? Not being free is not a good answer.

Suppose you could ask a bowling coach to include thus in such in their next of first book or video, what would it be, who would you ask?

Sales of bowling media are pathetic.
No demand?
No need to learn?
Bowling is too simple, I learned it yesterday and everything's coming up roses?
Sales were bad before the internet so we can't blame freebies be they flawed or flawless
(I'm older than the internet so I know. No I'm not Al Gore). I also know someone that was instrumental in bring in the internet in this state and area when it was in it's infancy, prior to public access per se.

Lack of erudition is one of the negative bowler stereotypes that bowlers fall over themselves lining up to perpetuate. While erudition per se is not the one and only way to learn and flourish, it is an important cobblestone on the road to perfection for which we all strive while realistically hoping to get closer to that elusive ye impossible dream.

Let's say you could have a chat with say one of these folks or someone else, what would you ask them: Mark Baker, Bill Hall, Fred Borden, Chris Barnes, Del Warren, Richard Shockley, Ron Clifton, Gary Parsons, (add to the list) and so on. No offense to anyone left off what would be a ponderous list.
We have Mo and Jim here and we ask them and get answers, so did not list them.

Lets pretend one of them reads this or of this and you have one shot at submitting your requests.

To quote Dr. Emmett Brown "What the heck".

Capture e.JPG
Capture D.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
SammyHendrix
THS Average: 185
Speed: 15 Pindeck
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Vivid
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Frantic
Light Oil Ball: MoRich Awesome Finish

Re: What is missing in bowling ed?

Post by SammyHendrix »

We need a Bruce Lee of bowling.

The thing with bowling is that everybody is different. I was taught the "traditional" squared up approach and rotating hand release in a bowling class in college. When I seek a coach years ago, he wanted me to open up with my balance arm pointing forward while speeding my tempo and staying behind the ball at release... I saw the potential but it was not me. It took everything I've got to run up and down the lanes for this "perfect form". Then I talked to one of the local guys and he said, "if you don't feel comfortable moving faster then just start the ball later." I found myself much more comfortable with that but also at a crossroad.

Most books I've read talk about the very basics of bowling, but how does that apply to the weekend/casual bowlers? What about people that genuinely cannot physically alter their game? I am not saying we should write books for the 1%, but where do those guys go for some tips? Also, how can a generic book tell me about the "invisible" oil conditions?

When I watch TV/youtube/what have you, everyone looks perfect and I am sure they spend a lot of time getting there. When I hit the lanes and see the casual bowlers, you get the thumbless/back up/100 mph pitcher types. Do you think those guys are going to spend 30 hours a week practicing this for an hour of fun on a Friday night? Or even for one night a week for three games? Most of those people don't even bother asking for help.

Go back to my original comment, I am not saying we need a super star in bowling (although that would help - maybe TO?). But Bruce was very good at identifying and enhancing what a person is good at then focuses on training them based on that. Since we have so many different forms and each can be successful, maybe we need people that can start enhancing the bowler experience based on that. Then again, how do we extend education if people aren't asking for help?

-- Sam
Last edited by SammyHendrix on May 12th, 2013, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bowling keeps me sane, yet I am crazy about bowling...

Storm Vivid
Storm Frantic
MoRich Awesome Finish
Columbia White Dot

BowlSK
56bird

Post by 56bird »

Back in the late 80's or early 90's I bought a book called "Bowling 200+" by Mike Aulby and Dave Ferraro. I don't remember much about it, I guess I might have picked up some fundamentals from it but I don't think it revolutionized my game- coaching did.

Also, in the intervening years they came up with this crazy "youtube" thing. Between that and fine forums like this one, a motivated bowler can keep pretty busy reading, watching and learning without leaving the comfort of the couch.

Also, they gave us this :)

[youtube][/youtube]
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

Personally, I would love to have more insight on lane transitions and how to approach those transitions. I have tried to make adjustments before and sometimes the correct adjustment feels a little counter-intuitive. I realize this is a personal thing and would be difficult to explain to the masses, but it is something I would want.

As far as what bowling needs, I think it is obvious bowling needs qualified coaches. Not to start a heated debate, but I live in Texas, home of USBC and the closest Bronze certification class is almost 1000 miles away (already passed). Silver is almost 1500 miles away. I realize some feel the USBC coaching system is flawed, but many bowlers won't consider coaching from anything else. I'm not trying to make loads of money or anything like that, I just want to help. I want to work with youth programs. I want to work with people trying to take the next step. I would love to coach a college program again. But unfortunately, USBC hasn't even had a certificate class at their own headquarters in the last 2 years. Last year, the closest class was over 1000 miles away.
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

kajmk wrote:Lack of erudition is one of the negative bowler stereotypes that bowlers fall over themselves lining up to perpetuate. While erudition per se is not the one and only way to learn and flourish, it is an important cobblestone on the road to perfection for which we all strive while realistically hoping to get closer to that elusive ye impossible dream

Educators. We have plenty of instructors (most are not that good). We have an increasing number of coaches (most are not that good). We have few, precious few, educators- those who teach people to think; those who teach people how to learn how to learn. Did you see the Bill Gates interview Sunday? He has learn how to learn and thus is successful. If the masses ever learn how to learn (in this case bowling), what a wonderful world it would be.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
DAVIDINIL
THS Average: 228
Positive Axis Point: 5 right x 5/8 up
Speed: 18 CATS
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: storm

Post by DAVIDINIL »

Good Topic Kaj. The most egregious failure in coaching or bowling instruction in general is the failure to teach a proper release. There are very few people who understand how a proper release should work. And even fewer who are willing to teach it. Many of those who do execute a proper release cannot even explain it to you even if they wanted to.

For years I have been told to get my hand in a strong position, don't hit up on the ball, but somehow get lift on it. Get lift but don't hit up. hmmm. Others would tell me that I don't want lift. I should push the ball down the lane with my fingers. Today's equipment has put a premium on the ability to have a clean release. It's not the number of revs per se. But a clean release lets the ball avoid reading too much oil transition. The roll is less sensitive to oil movement.

This lack of understanding is a contributor to the rise in 2 handed releases. Two handers don't need to worry about thumb timing.

This also points to another issue. Many coaches will (with good intentions) tell you to change something in your game. Now, learning a new habit takes months. Then you find out later from another more qualified coach that what you changed was an irrelevant factor in bowling performance.

See what we need here Kajmk is to clone our own Jim Merrel and Mo. I certainly wish I had easy access coaches of this caliber.
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

What is missing in bowling education today is a understanding on the part of bowlers of the difference between a coach (educator) and a good bowler (220+ on a THS). A coach will find the cause of a problem and fix the problem from the bottom up. A good bowler will tell you to fix the problem.

Example: A friend of mine is a very good spare shooter. He is in his mid-seventies and has very bad knees, so he uses a modified approach that yields him little ball speed. Lately he began missing spares. I came to find out that a well-meaning good bowler told him to increase his backswing to increase his ball speed. This played havoc with his timing and, consequently his accuracy in picking up his spares.

Many bowlers are willing to listen to advice from anyone, yet are very hesitant to pay for it. The USBC Certification system is not perfect, yet it does teach prospective coaches some important things about teaching (communicating, learning styles, etc.). At the Bronze Level and above, it also teaches coaches how to identify and fix problems from the bottom up: deal with the cause of the problem rather than the result of the problem.

For help in bowling, as in most phases of our lives, you get what you pay for.

Rob Mautner
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

guruU2 wrote:What is missing in bowling ed?

Educators. We have plenty of instructors (most are not that good). We have an increasing number of coaches (most are not that good). We have few, precious few, educators- those who teach people to think; those who teach people how to learn how to learn. Did you see the Bill Gates interview Sunday? He has learn how to learn and thus is successful. If the masses ever learn how to learn (in this case bowling), what a wonderful world it would be.
--- Gary Parsons

I've not yet seen the 60 minutes, been away an "unwired" and will be so on and off for a while.

I will try to watch it later as I did record it.

Gary sights the quintessence of a true teacher. Tom Kouros is one of those so is Gary Parsons.
Every born/innate teacher stresses teaching students how to learn, how to question, how to understand and how to in turn teach others and pay it forward. Their joy is the success and sustained growth of their students. They are empathetic, they are skilled communicators always looking for feedback and to see if the student "get's it", they can be life changers for some that need it. They also know that their students teach them lessons too!
I know of true teachers, I have had a few and had it not been for 1 or 2, I would not be here today. A born/innate teacher will always question himself, his knowledge, his motivation, his communication etc. That is they are fully aware that they do not know it all and knowledge is a journey and not a destination.

[youtube][/youtube]

How did people learn things centuries ago? Apprenticeship, working with a master supersedes books, videos, i.e. they are IDEAS FROZEN IN TIME. Ideas frozen in time may be very good but they are NOT DYNAMIC, a 1:1 with a good teacher is priceless, for that relationship lasts long after the last lesson.

Bob Summerville started a Super School for bowlers many years ago.
I wrote BTM asking and suggesting they consider a Super School for coaches/instructors.
I would have signed up for that as a student, it might have made a difference for me and for others.
There isn't one (a school for teachers of the sport), one reason is because bowling is not taken seriously. Because it is not taken seriously, many of the people "just bowl", they are not bowlers and hence have no need to learn. Challenge inspires the thirst for quality relevant knowledge. Challenge is what makes a Chris Barnes seek a teacher.
Chris's most important asset lies between his ears as does yours.
I'm told that across the pond, they have a different attitude. It seems they know they don't know it all and that to grow the sport, the education of educators and students must be robust.

"If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know." --- Gary Parsons aka guruU2 (Still have not found what I'm looking for ...)

[youtube][/youtube]

The impetus for this post was to garner your thoughts, ideas, opinions.
The goal is to help grow the sport in some way.
One never knows the full extent of such exchanges.
Something someone says here just might make a difference.
If you help just one person, you have made a difference, and you reflect one of the brighter aspects of mankind.

Again, I realize this is not war and peace, life and death, it does (bowling ed) in some ways parallel the education system (math, science, etc) in that there also we have fallen behind and in the world theatre, that can be war and peace and life and death.

Lest I take myself tooooooooooo serious I render the following which is flown over my city daily!
Snoopy - MetLife Blimp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

Thank you John.
kajmk wrote:They also know that their students teach them lessons too!
I often wonder who is the student and who is the teacher?

One day, those in power will realize the value of TRUE educators.

Again, thank you John for your sensible insights and contributions to this site. You are the prototype educator this industry needs. One day. . . .
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Interesting topic for more than one reason. First, there is plenty of information out there, some would say, the information is obsolete. We are in the Modern Bowler Era! I have to ask, is the game really that different? The internet would have everyone thinking so.

There are only two sports where it is easy to create an image where equipment "appears" to make all the difference, golf and bowling. How many "training" devices or aides are on the market that guarantee instant success? The device industry is a billion dollar business. With the advent of the internet, it's become progressively worse.

Just the other day, a young lady came to one of our mini classes. She stepped on to the lane with a Gold IQ and 32.00 shoes. I watched with interest as she got into her stance. She crouched down real low, butt way back, chest leaning forward, standing in this position for at least 30 seconds. Then she moved the ball. OMG, straight to the ceiling. After watching a few shots, it was hard to resist, had to ask, "where did you learn that setup technique?" Answer, on the internet.

Is it better for an individual to obtain information through personal contact or the internet? Is the internet better than nothing?

Personally, those are questions I wrestle with on a daily basis.
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

TomaHawk wrote:Is it better for an individual to obtain information through personal contact or the internet?
It all depends on the source.

Both are valuable both can be a neagative.
-Gary Parsons
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

You make good points, TomaHawk. The greatest strength of internet resources is everyone has access to create and consume resources. Whether those resources are credible or not, is a different matter all together. I think it's fair to say that for every good resource, there is at least one that's mediocre at best.

In truth, the same risk is taken with getting up front help in this industry. My first few experiences were less than stellar, but I didn't have enough information to know that at the time. In fact, I thought they were all great. Looking back, not so much. After learning so much here, I personally won't be working with anyone unless they have been vouched for by someone credible here. I currently work with the Hitt's in Newport, KY, whom I met via Mo and they come highly recommended by Mo, as well. A recommendation I share.

I think, at it's roots, the game is the same. We've just got better equipment and the physical game has advanced considerably. Accuracy still plays a part as does spare shooting, so from that perspective, the game really hasn't changed all that much. The physical games of today, the game espoused by these very forums, are far from text book in years gone, but I think we can all agree the good physical games of today are MUCH more efficient than most of those of yesteryear.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
DAVIDINIL

Post by DAVIDINIL »

I feel I must mention Rick Benoit's BowlU website. The classroom part costs $90 for a year's access. Here you will find all of Rick's methods in how to create a great modern era bowler. I signed up a month ago and I discovered within BowlU many if not all of the secrets of how modern players do what they do, repeatability and power.

The user interface is kind of clumsy. But the money is well spent. Be sure to visit the Classroom section of the site.

Rick Benoit (Bob Benoit's brother BTW) was a PBA ball rep for Brunswick for many years. I don't remember how I came to be aware of him. I had seen his picture and recognized him in person. As I attended PBA events, I saw Rick helping darn near every tour player out there. And I saw lots of players wearing the BowlU logo. So when I saw him at the TOC this year, I just had to ask him if he could help me. He agreed gladly. I just had to find an open lane. Once the pro's had finished up on Friday evening I talked the GM into giving me a lane. Rick Stayed until 11PM giving me a lesson. When I tried to give him money for the lesson he refused. But he demanded that I get ahold of him in a months time to see how I was doing. He also encouraged me to try out Bowlu and said that he'd gladly refund my $90 if I didn't find anything to help me. I was kind of sceptical. But I have found tons of great info at BowlU. Probably the best resource I have ever seen.

As Rick was giving me advice, several touring players started hanging out. Rick was teaching some of the one handers how to do a two handed delivery. The players were hanging on his every word. And all of that great advice is on BowlU.

The PBA is promoting BowlU too, so the PBA must believe in his ability as well.

One of the features I like the best is that Rick has designed many drills that you do at home. You do not need to go to the bowl to improve yourself. I think this is great since getting open lanes is sometimes a struggle. Rick's method is quite powerful. He gives guidelines and drills that are very specific yet, flexible enough to work with everyone's natural tendencies and body types. He lets your body do what it wants to do, but guides you towards productive results.

I encourage everyone to give BowlU a try. Rick is a standup guy. If you don't find anything on BowlU to help you, I'm sure he will refund your entry fee. Notice too he is also running 2 day bowling camps in several cities across the nation this coming summer and fall.

I believe that I now have the info I need. Now it is just a matter of putting in the practice time at home and the lanes and to monitor my progress. I am optimistic that I can improve my game quite a bit as I believe I finally have the instruction book on how to maximize my game.

Let me know if you have any questions about BowlU. I am not an official rep, but I can give you my take on it.
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

Rick's collabration with the PBA this summer could be interesting and the start of a long range positive movement. I plan to go to Buffalo Player Development seminar after BOWL EXPO.
-Gary Parsons
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Did you see the Bill Gates interview Sunday? He has learn how to learn and thus is successful. If the masses ever learn how to learn (in this case bowling), what a wonderful world it would be.
--- Gary Parsons guruU2

For anyone who would like to "see" the inteview, it is still on the 60 minutes website

Landing page for CBS 60 minutes.
http://www.cbsnews.com/60-minutes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Interview per se
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-5 ... gates-2.0/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rick Benoit I remember reading articles by Rick Benoit many moons ago on the web. I stumbled upon some at a site something like 1Opinion.com.
At that point I copied them to a computer and made some hard copies. Alas, that hard drive
went into the cyber ditch like a KAJMK bowling ball and I lost my electronic copies.
I'm not sure I have any paper copies.
Rick's articles were for me educational, informative, and good reads.
There was one article 'What is your bowling ball trying to do' title approximate.

In many cases to me the title "Ball Rep" is a misnomer and sells those folks short.
Perhaps the Latin fac totum is more descriptive.

Rick has a well deserved top notch reputation, many of us could learn a lot from him.

I have a lot of respect for DAVIDINIL and his opinions and endorsements.
I just thought I'd comment on Rick Benoit.
I have no dogs in the hunt, just a bowler wannabe ...

p.s. The Internet is a tool, thus it is amoral. Tools can be put to good use, abuse, and so on.
Like Kelly T asserted, check your sources and references etc.
The Internet provides a wonderful opportunity to do good as well as evil and to blunder, etc.
If you ever had to write papers for a class, your teacher insisted upon multiple sited references to support your contentions etc.
In many bowling articles by folks like Joe Slowinski, Paul Butcher, and others they site sources.
Just the other day, a young lady came to one of our mini classes. She stepped on to the lane with a Gold IQ and 32.00 shoes. I watched with interest as she got into her stance. She crouched down real low, butt way back, chest leaning forward, standing in this position for at least 30 seconds. Then she moved the ball. OMG, straight to the ceiling. After watching a few shots, it was hard to resist, had to ask, "where did you learn that setup technique?" Answer, on the internet.
--- TomaHawk

This reminds me of an anecdote contained in the Kouros book (both the 70's and 90's releases. He offered to help 2 ladies who he noticed attempting to bowl ...

There is a term someone coined "Concourse Coach". Anyone can use the internet.

Always

[youtube][/youtube]

John
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

kajmk wrote:Rick has a well deserved top notch reputation, many of us could learn a lot from him.
1. Be open (minded)
2. Always attempt to expand your frame of references and thus your frames of reference as well. READ, WATCH, LISTEN and then THINK.
3. If it is important (to you) learn to ask, and always ask, good questions. Never, never, never be afraid to ask questions as ALL authorities, in good time will be shown to be wrong via incompleteness. For example, was Bill Taylor wrong on his thought on bowling- yes because he did not have the tools and knowlege base we have now and thus his positions, in many cases, can be considered wrong but without the Bill Taylors we would not have the Mo Pinels now.
4. Accept the fact of change and incompleteness as we shall be shown to be "wrong" (via incompleteness) in the future. We can only do what we can do given our technology, knowledge base and our FRAMES OF REFERENCES.
5. In the end, the famous economist John M Keynes said, "we will be dead" but mankind lives on so I like to quote Kurt Vonnegut from CAT's CRADLE:
Tiger got to hunt
Bird got to fly
Man got to ask why, why, why
Tiger got to rest
Bird got to land
Man got to tell himself he understands

I am approching my 65th year, I haven't got to that point yet. I think I will go see what Mr. Benoit has to say.

Postscript: NEVER accept authority, per se, given enough time they will be shown to be incomplete and wrong. Accepting your incompleteness opens up a wonderful world of freedom.
-Gary Parsons
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Gary, once again you illustrate why you were long ago hailed "The Guru".

One has only to look at the accepted beliefs held by physicists down through the ages for examples of your points, e.g. Newton 's universe, Einstein's universe.

Wikiworty words of wisdom my friend.

New wiki topic - how to learn effectively ...

Heuristics so to speak ...

John
learnmore
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by learnmore »

I have a question. What is the goal in bowling? What do you strive for? Most of the average bowlers I know say to shoot 300. Some say to shoot 800. I feel those are worthy accomplishments, but after they have acheived that goal, most people don't have anything else to aspire to. So, other than winning a league, what other goals can the average league bowler hope to accomplish? I'm not sure if there are more honor scores now than in the past, but they are definitely being shot by a wider variety of people and in more houses. when I started bowling there were 3 high scoring houses and about 8 houses that people ran away from. Now it's just the opposite. I don't have a problem with the scoring pace, but if people don't understand their achievements, all you will hear is I shot 300. I'm done bowling.
DAVIDINIL

Post by DAVIDINIL »

I have 300's and 800's on house shots. I had my first 300 and 800 in a sport shot league this year. What keeps me bowling is the simple desire to throw another strike. There is nothing quite like the feeling of throwing a well executed shot. My body feels a good shot right off my hand. I will never get tired of watching my ball split the 8 and 9 pins on the way off the deck. I will never get tired of that distinctive sound that a well thrown ball makes as it goes thru the pins.

I like beating my competition. But more than that, I just enjoy the process of bowling. I don't bowl for honor scores. I bowl for the next strike and that's it. Honor scores are fun and all, but if I win my match 151 to 150, then I have bowled well.
Press the + button if you feel I've been helpful

Rev Rate - 350
Speed (CATS) - 17
Axis Tilt - 15
Axis Rotation - 30-60
Sport Shot Avg - 208
THS Avg - 229
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

A comment on goals in general.

Alexander of Macedon, who, upon hearing that there were other worlds, wept that he had not yet conquered one

A goal can be viewed as the light at the end of a tunnel or one light in a series of lights on the journey. Someone once said that success is a journey and not a destination.
And the evening sings in a voice of amber, the dawn is surely coming
The morning road leads to Stalingrad, and the sky is softly humming
Two broken Tigers on fire in the night flicker their souls to the wind
We wait in the lines for the final approach to begin
It's been almost four years that I've carried a gun
At home it'll almost be spring
The flames of the Tigers are lighting the road to Berlin
--- Al Stewart

Quote excerpted from the Al Stewart classic "Roads to Moscow"
http://alstewart.com/publicfiles/LYRICS ... moscow.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[youtube][/youtube]

Some people let their goals define them instead of the other way around.

People are different, Rick Benoit spoke of this in his podcast over on above180.com.
Rick also spoke of enlightening bowlers for the sake of proper perspective and not necessarily to make them march in lock step. He realizes that all customers are good customers regardless of their level of intensity and drive to excel. As I listened to Rick, I was reminded of Lincolns "House Divided" speech.
The recreational and the sport are vital organs of the same body, excise either and the body will die!

I know a man who pitched in the minor leagues for the old Washington Senators.
One week, he was called up to the majors. He pitched in relief, hit the game winning rbi single, preserved the win (they did not have saves back then). He never got another opportunity, he was sent back down and never made it back. He continued playing for the love of the game and the hope of earning a major league spot.

One reason to participate in any sport is the PURE LOVE OF THE GAME AND ALL IT ENTAILS.

I know that Nolan Ryan did not quit after his first no hitter.

Scoring - Len Mal told me that he NEVER SAW AN 800 WHERE THE BOWLER DID NOT HAVE HELP. Len coached many a PBA player (some are in the HOF) during several decades. Len was also a minor league baseball player too, I think in the Cincinnati chain. No, Len was not that pitcher. He did however change his name during his baseball career, back then things like skin color or ethnicity were used to suppress people.
Recall Ameletto Monacelli's first PBA title bowled in the USA (Not the Japan cup victory)
He scored something around 160.
I recall seeing Glenn Allison holding up his scores on a placard showing his friends in the middle of a block: 4 or 5 240+ ALL RED, the lone BLACK score was low deuce. RED means loss.

Other sports have had their share of "cheaper" scores, to wit the Dodgers playing in the LA coliseum with the short lines, ditto the Polo Grounds in NY, The short lines in the OLD Yankee Stadium, dilution of talent through expansion and so on.

David spoke of the pleasure of 'puring' a shot. AMEN! I've even done it once in my life AND IT WAS MARVELOUS, I CAN STILL FEEL IT in my mind, it's that eternal pursuit being all you can be.
If I ever get to bowl again, I hope to stumble upon a good shot again.
Then their is the camaraderie of team play. Priceless!!!

Those moments in life be they in sport or otherwise are the spice of life.

David wrote -
I just enjoy the process of bowling

Now that is a GOAL!!

"Clear the mechanism" David

[youtube][/youtube]

p.s. if you have not listened to the Rick Benoit podcast, give it a go.

John