Release Help

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

JCreech
THS Average: 213
Preferred Company: Hammer

Release Help

Post by JCreech »

This question is more about my little brother than me. I was qualified years ago as a bronze level coach but I have never taken another class, unfortunately. I am an assistant coach for a high school team and have taken the time to coach a few other kids. Most notably I lined up a good friend over the phone over the course of his college try outs he would call me at least once a day to get advice on ball choice and lining up which allowed him to make the team. Also I coached a middle schooler and helped him make it to state, where he finished second. Not too bad considering I am only 24.
Sadly I have met my match in my little brother. He is 14 and learning to properly hook the ball. In my opinion we waited too long to introduce him to axis tilt and hand positions. I wish we had worked with him on that from the get go but hindsight..........Anyway when he releases the ball he lets go of the ball with fingers and thumb coming out of the ball at the same time. This causes the ball to rotate perpendicular to the direction of the ball. The scary thing is he thinks this is how everyone throws the ball. We have went to what I consider the last resort and got him a positioner. Now I know some people can be successful when using one of these but to me its too constricting. You are kind of forced to hold the ball in the preset positions and you cannot get the adjustments you can without it. Now this helps him but I am concerned about the next step. How do I get him from this point back to staying under the ball and rolling it instead of throwing it using his hand instead of the positioner.
"It looked good till it came off my hand"
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Release Help

Post by MegaMav »

In my opinion, unless he's a full roller, let him release it how he wants.
There isn't a "too late" for anything.
His game is still developing, as is his body.
He may throw it differently in 5 years when his body matured more.
Ease up on the reins, with guidance he will find his form.
JCreech

Post by JCreech »

Haha. Honestly I am really happy that you said that. I know that in this day and age especially when someone is coaching a family member people can get really uptight about hearing criticism but I am really glad that you went ahead and just said it! I am pretty relieved to hear that it is ok but at the same time he really doesn't score as well as the other people his age. He wants to get better now. So is there any advice that can help him get better. Or at least score better. I try to teach him to be a better spare shooter, is that it?
"It looked good till it came off my hand"
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Read the fundamentals of the modern release and shift bowl in the wiki coaching section.
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

Check out videos on Youtube of PBA players and their releases. Then, he will at least know top level bowlers do not release the ball that way, and that will give him something to works towards.

The Slow Motion Analysis of Modern Tenpin Bowling video was edited/analyzed by deanchamp, a member on this board. He has several useful videos up that show how pro bowlers can have different releases/approaches, yet still do certain things the same.
Right Handed
Speed: 18 mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: ~350 rpm
Tilt: 10*
Rotation: 55*
PAP: 5 1/8" right, 1/2" up
JCreech

Post by JCreech »

Much appreciated everyone.