Using wrist too much to give revs

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Using wrist too much to give revs

Post by JJakobsen »

I found out I have a coach in my club today, yeey! Apparently trained a couple of national team players, so thats good, I got someone to nag to!

But he said I am using my wrist too much to make revs. I am cocking my hand, and using the inside, and I am uncocking it a tad too early, so my thumb is still in the ball. However, as you can see from my PAP being 5" right 1" up, my roll is pretty dead straight up the ball, so I am not releasing the ball awkwardly in any matter.

But I know I do it, I can feel it. But I can't feel how I can stop doing it. Doing release drills are getting harder and harder the more complicated the release is, and with cocking my wrist, cupping my wrist, playing the inside and all that, it is hard to even replicate without doing the full approach.

So I need tips, what can I do to use my fingers more to give revs. I am playing with sarge easter now, that got something to do with my release, guaranteed, as I am not doing it with full fingertip...
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!
sprocket
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Re: Using wrist too much to give revs

Post by sprocket »

First, I'm no expert. So if someone wants to shoot down this idea that's fine with me.

In most cases I don't like wrist devices but maybe in your case one would work as a training device. Since the movement of your wrist would be limited by the device, maybe it would cut down on your tendency to get wristy.
Ball speed: 18mph
Rev rate: 400rpm
PAP: 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
Tilt: 12°
Axis rotation 30°-60°
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by JJakobsen »

I did try one a year ago, but my issue wasn't that big back then, but my revs went up and it felt better, so yeah, I've been thinking of it.

But it costs money and I don't know if it will help this time.

I will have to video myself and see it slow motion. Will post it here if I get time.
sprocket
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by sprocket »

I doubt if you would need to spend any money. I'll bet if you asked around there are tons of guys who bought one only to give up on it after a very short time. One of my teammates just gave or loaned one to another member of my team. It looked almost new to me.
Ball speed: 18mph
Rev rate: 400rpm
PAP: 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
Tilt: 12°
Axis rotation 30°-60°
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by JJakobsen »

I have a brand new one, but since my hand is the size of a mouse, I have to get a smaller one. I can use it, but I have to use sports tape to get it properly fitted. Grip length of 4", to give you a reference.

I am going to get my Favorite redrilled next thursday along with my spare ball, might ask him for advice as well, as he is a coach and can see for himself, easier then ;)
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

jimmydanny wrote:I found out I have a coach in my club today, yeey! Apparently trained a couple of national team players, so thats good, I got someone to nag to!

But he said I am using my wrist too much to make revs. I am cocking my hand, and using the inside, and I am uncocking it a tad too early, so my thumb is still in the ball. However, as you can see from my PAP being 5" right 1" up, my roll is pretty dead straight up the ball, so I am not releasing the ball awkwardly in any matter.

But I know I do it, I can feel it. But I can't feel how I can stop doing it. Doing release drills are getting harder and harder the more complicated the release is, and with cocking my wrist, cupping my wrist, playing the inside and all that, it is hard to even replicate without doing the full approach.

So I need tips, what can I do to use my fingers more to give revs. I am playing with sarge easter now, that got something to do with my release, guaranteed, as I am not doing it with full fingertip...
There is a chance the fault may not be in your release per se.
Ask that coach to analyze you from a side view. Check out the wiki article on video capture.
This could be timing related, lack of enough flat spot, a bit of grab and squeeze in the ball.
Sometimes exaggerating the opposite extreme and working towards the desired can work.
A good video set can help you diagnose and remedy. We have a number of videos and articles up on the wiki.
Also, and this is important, if your stats are correct, you are rev dominant. You may be trying to add speed in an unproductive manner and this may adversely affect the Thumb Timing.
Submit good videos, using the wiki guidelines, do both side and rear.

On wrist devices, you are used to unloading, a wrist device won't allow you to unload, so I'm not sure that's a good move, but it Will Cut Revs. Put more emphasis on the athlete and technique, unless you have physical constraints.
Learning how to cut revs or add speed or change axis rotation and tilt wouldn't be bad.
Rolling a lighter house ball without using your thumb might accustom you to a better feel.
You can also do a variation of Ritger release drill with a partner to practice the release.
Whenever you practice forget about scoring and focus only on the process.
I'm not on a computer now or I'd do a bit of cut and paste.

I realize this is an old post, but since they modified the forums this floated up.

Take care.

Don't keep this forum a secret.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
turbotwister
Preferred Company: storm

Post by turbotwister »

almost all of your pro's use the yo-yo style release. from cup to un cup to cup. it happens so fast that you get the thumb out 1st and then get the lift and rotation on the ball. I also use a wrist strap for more rotation but I have it adjusted to flat (not cupped) so I can do this release. it will take a little patience and practice but will give you what you want out of the ball. video's on youtube...the modern 10 pin release in slow motion will give you what you are looking for and hear so much about.