Too much spine tilt at address??

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

tdub36tjt
THS Average: 213
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 over 5/8 up
Speed: 16.5-17.5 @ pindeck
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Lucid
Medium Oil Ball: Lucid, The Look
Light Oil Ball: Endure
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Too much spine tilt at address??

Post by tdub36tjt »

So over the last few years I've really worked and worked on my game and have made no progress. Had some coaching and was putting in hours of practice. I've felt like I was much more fundamentally sound but was inconsistent and could never put it all together. So this year I pretty much went back to one day of league and no practice. I pretty much decided I was done trying to get to the next level and was going to just bowl league and have fun because I was no longer enjoying the game outside of the pro shop.

So far this season I have struggled all year. My timing has felt terrible I've felt like all power has been shut down by the time I've gotten to the line. I just attributed it to not bowling but in all honesty I felt the same way in the past just not to this extent. I've always struggled to stay consistent with my balance.

So today I threw a spare shot and didn't set up at the line just pretty much picked up my ball and went and everything felt way better. So it got me to thinking and assumed something in my set up might be off. So I tried cutting back on spine tilt at address and immediately my timing felt way better my balance was way better and I felt like my rev rate and speed went way up. So is it probable I've had too much spine tilt at address over the past 3 years and it has held me back?? At that point I definitely increased my spine tilt and it seemed to help then but I'm thinking it might have been the issue. I've had several coaches put some time on the lanes in with me and they all mentioned my setup being good. Any opinions on this issue? Also I'll attach an old video of me from last year for reference in case it's wanted.

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by MegaMav on October 28th, 2013, 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed URL
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Too much spine tilt at address??

Post by kajmk »

tdub, consider creating a post with current videos for Doctor Jim to analyze. Keep and maintain a personal archive of videos.

Symptoms are not necessarily causes, there may have been other factors that you did not perceive.
An old video is not unlike an old picture of me combing my hair.
Now I simply polish the top. :)

Video Capture
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Use that archive to quell or ward off slumps etc.
Bring it to coaching sessions.
Annotate the videos with verbal comment on intent and perceptions (what you saw, what you felt) to make augment analysis.
For example
This is me at my best ...
This is me at ...
This is me now

When team bowling, ask a teammate to watch you, then compare what they saw and heard with what you saw and heard.
From Me - #11 at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7962&p=63231&hilit=superior#p63231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For an example of a superior more encompassing set with more views, and example may be seen at
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6708" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

p.s. I should have mentioned way back when in post one, that form is secondary to results, though good form facilitates good performance, i.e. every sport has it's exceptions, in nature it's a bumble bee who according to some should not be able to fly.
I used to joke that if a person was a top performer and hopped, skipped, twirled, and jumped to the foul line, there would be a lot of copy cats ... :lol:

So do create those videos and maintain a video archive of yourself. Keep the good, the bad, the ugly. One way to diagnose is by contrast and comparison, a lot of coaches do it in a lot of sports, e.g. why was an MLB pitcher lights out last year and getting whacked this year??
etc.

Keep us posted and pay it forward.

Thanks
That "superior" video set is within this forum link
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6708" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
FruitFly
THS Average: 164
Medium Oil Ball: Lane Masters World Class Particle
Preferred Company: Lane Masters

Post by FruitFly »

You should really let Jim take a look at this and use the guidelines for video capturing.

It's just really hard to see what you are doing throughout your approach.

To me it looks like you don't have a (side-)tilt problem, but rather that your lower body is set up to bowl on the right lane.
At adress your feet don't face your target and your lower body thus is way more open than your upper body. For me this created quite a few inconsistencies.

I am no coach though. Just someone who experimented with this kind of setup.
~ Frerk

"Obviously you're not a golfer" (The Dude)
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

Tub36,
Since you didn't get much help in the General Coaching Forum with this let’s take a look at that golf swing.

Front View
1) Set-up position at address looks good
2) As the swing goes back you lose you upper body tilt set at address.
3) Coming down you do a great job of starting from the ground up as seen in F6.
4) Looking at F7, I think you need to give that club to your grandfather and get a real man’s flex shafted driver.
5) Starting in F8 thru F11 your upper body does not move forward resulting in the hands being behind the ball at impact.
6) Your upper body is not rotating fast enough and the arms take control of the swing in order to generate a feeling of power. Unfortunately this leads to small muscles leading large muscles…not good in bowling or golf.
7) Reverse “C” in your finish position

Back View
1) Once again, you have a very good set-up position at address from this view, with one exception….move the ball position in front of the club head….Do Not extend your arms to the current ball position.
2) Because you have reached out to the ball, going back the club head moves too quickly inside the target line in B3 creating the laid off position of the shaft in B4.
3) From there you lift the club to the top into a very flat position and the shaft is crossing the line.
4) Coming down in B6 you have re-routed the club in an excellent position and look as though you about to crush the ball down the target line.
5) Unfortunately, the opposite happens as you come up out of your spine angle and cast the club outside the target line in B7.
6) This results in the outside to in path shown in B8, ball starting left of your intended target line.

New golf swing next spring……….start by getting a stiffer shafted driver!
1) Move closer to the ball at address.
2) Maintain your spine tilt as the swing goes back and keep the club head outside the hands in B3.
3) From this position cock the wrist and set the club shaft more vertical as shown in B4.
4) This should also help with eliminating the crossing the line move at the top.
5) From B6 as you swing down rotate your upper body around your spine angle and keep your head over your belt buckle. Rotating about that spine angle keeps the hands ahead of the ball and will also allow you attack the ball more from the inside resulting in more power and more importantly……the golf ball going in the right direction.

Oh and by the way, I am putting by opinion of your bowling questions in the Certified Coaching Section.....where my analysis should be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"