Drill Progression for New Two-Hander

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

ModernGame

Drill Progression for New Two-Hander

Post by ModernGame »

Hi All,

I'd like some suggestions on building a two handed game from the ground up. I've bowled one handed for 6 years, but my thumb joint feels like it's starting to break down. Even taking the last 4 months off hasn't helped my thumb joint heal. It's always sore after league. I've tried fit changes, changing tape setup, thumb tape variations, changing how I think about my relaxed grip, etc. Nothing has seemed to help.

I'd like a drill progression you guys would recommend for building a two handed game from the ground up. I think I have a lot of the fundamentals of the game down, but when I try bowling two handed my ball speed and rev rate decrease dramatically.

thank you
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Drill Progression for New Two-Hander

Post by 44boyd »

You need to get your stats, plug and drill an old piece to get comfortable with it and get your pitches down before you go new
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Drill Progression for New Two-Hander

Post by kajmk »

Welcome to the forum Moderngame.

I left this important point off of my original note:
Your best option would of course be working with a coach in person. You'd get instant feedback and a plan tailored to you.
So if possible, work with a qualified coach in your area.
One of the challenges about self coaching is that we cannot see ourselves. Our perception and feeling may not match reality and that is counterproductive and frustrating.

If you are inquiring about skill development drills, reach out to deanchamp via PM to get his attention. Dean coaches and also writes for Bowling this month magazine.

Check out Dean's replies regarding the two-handed style in this forum thread.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14963&p=116509&hil ... ll#p116509

There are some "tips" on YouTube, but I have not seen a comprehensive set on that platform.

Wesley Low has a few concise videos, here is one. Wesley is a two hander, so he offers the perspective of a bowler. He has been bowling this way since boyhood and thus has adapted his game as his body has grown.

Here is one with Wesley and Mark Baker

Observations and comments by Rod Ross

Patience and persistence will payoff.
Check your area for coaches, ask other bowlers .

Good luck, enjoy the journey.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John