Sliding for two handed bowlers

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

andrewstack23
THS Average: 210
Sport Average: 157
Positive Axis Point: idk
Speed: 15.5-18.3
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 7
Axis Rotation: 50
Heavy Oil Ball: Piranha powercor
Medium Oil Ball: Cuda powercor
Light Oil Ball: vendetta
Preferred Company: any

Sliding for two handed bowlers

Post by andrewstack23 »

I've been bowling for abou almost 4 years and developed no slide i plant because of balance issues with improper slide need help with balance and ball side ankle
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Sliding for two handed bowlers

Post by kajmk »

andrewstack23 wrote: May 1st, 2020, 5:21 pm I've been bowling for abou almost 4 years and developed no slide i plant because of balance issues with improper slide need help with balance and ball side ankle
If you happen to have any archival video of yourself, post it.
Your problem is an excellent example of why bowlers should maintain archival footage of themselves bowling.
If when you get back to the lanes, here is a set of instructions for creating video
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching

As you'll note in these videos, some of the best do not slide. Sliding tends to be gentler on the knees. As you know, our legs and core are very important in the performance of our sport and a key longevity factor.
There are numerous posts on the forum on fitness, mobility, functional strength.

The first video cites some common flaws or errors. The second video showcases two of the best. That analysis is by Jim Merrell our erstwhile guru.

This links to a post by Jim Merrell that you should find useful
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1052

If you have a hallway with hardwood or vinyl covering, you can try practicing your approach using a prop with some weight and size instead of a ball, you can use a sock as a slide sole. Caveat, slow and steady at first, easy does it.

Disclaimer Alert, I am not a practicing coach though I was certified Silver but that was over 15 years ago. Some of our members are. I would recommend reaching out to TonyPR, Tony IS a coach and teaches/coaches 2 handers.

Consider updating your profile with anything you'd like to share, e.g. location, avatar, specs, signature.

Be safe, be well, stay fit ...
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

andrewstack23 wrote: May 1st, 2020, 5:21 pm I've been bowling for abou almost 4 years and developed no slide i plant because of balance issues with improper slide need help with balance and ball side ankle
Hi Andrew

Yeah - we're going to need video! There are a myriad of reasons why you may have a problem.

That said, there are those who bowl well without a slide, and those who bowl well with a slide. Honestly, it's all about timing and your mechanics as you approach the delivery point.

VIDEO! :)
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Andrew, if you've referred to the videos provided so far, do you see anything there that you might recognize as a red flag in your game?
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
andrewstack23
THS Average: 210
Sport Average: 157
Positive Axis Point: idk
Speed: 15.5-18.3
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 7
Axis Rotation: 50
Heavy Oil Ball: Piranha powercor
Medium Oil Ball: Cuda powercor
Light Oil Ball: vendetta
Preferred Company: any

Post by andrewstack23 »

I figured it out it was improper knee bend and improper weight transference from the right leg to sliding knee i just figured it out during league yesterday and now i slide properly