Drills.

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

Drills.

Post by ballspoint »

I have never been able to do drills comfortably, mostly getting balanced right. After my xmas break from bowling i had my first practice bowl, wasn't pretty as expected from 6 weeks off. So i thought do some drills to get some things right. I tried but its a no go. Why? i asked myself are they not for me?
My reasoning is this...two things...you have to 'learn' how to do drills probably, the other is trying to get that same body lean/tilt/action which for me comes from my 1st step in a 5 step approach. How can i get the same from a 1 step drill. How can i replicate the action from a 5 step by doing a 1 step, its like trying to start a puzzle from the middle. What i usually do is work on the piece of movement iam tying to improve by doing a full approach, which i find works for me.
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Drills.

Post by 44boyd »

I could be wrong but I think you’re looking at it from the wrong perspective. Normally a no step or one step drill is performed to focus on the release and to work backwards up to your approach so you can try to keep the same feel. If you’re talking about just timing or swing path then I can see benefit staying at the full approach.
Stacy
ballspoint

Post by ballspoint »

I am having my first coaching session tonight so will see what coach asks me to do...drills? I will keep an open mind and talk to him about it.
ballspoint

Post by ballspoint »

We did drills last night, coach explained how and why, i did them because like i said to keep an open mind, i still feel they weren't totally necessary as i felt i could get the same result from a full approach, but 1 drill was best done at the foul line was the backup, harder then i thought as i am a suitcase release. Will be working on that too.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Depends on what level you want to take your game. Shannon O’Keefe, who is the reigning PWBA player of the year, starts every practice with 30 minutes of no step drill. Verity Crawley, Brad Miller and Kyle Sherman among other pros on their various forms of social media are always practicing these drills. Since you use a basic release, you’re probably underestimating the value. Doing more backup balls is getting into the modern release, which these drills help you learn the feel.
Stacy
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

When you stand at your setup and start bowling exactly like you do every time, your subconscious will do what you have always done automatically without thinking. You might get away a few times consciously trying to do different but when you get back to league or competition your subconscious will take over and you will once again revert to your old habits. Practice does not make perfect, practice makes permanent and the more you do something, correctly or not, the more it will become ingrained in your subconscious. It takes around 1,500 reps of doing something consciously before it becomes second nature, drills will isolate a specific part of your game so you can work on that without your subconscious taking over from other parts of your game. At the Kegel training center they promote the use of drills. Throughout the year they coach and study a large quantity of bowlers that come for lessons, from beginners to pba and pwba pros. What they teach is based on a whole bunch of empirical data. They know what works and what doesn’t and if they promote doing drills I do my drills.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent