Kegel Road Show - York PA

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

pjape

Kegel Road Show - York PA

Post by pjape »

I attended this session yesterday, and it was incredibly informative, albeit a bit confusing. More on that later. I was very surprised that my stats with Specto were as good as they were. In fact, Del glanced at my stats and said "that's actually pretty good." Considering some of the flaws in my game, I was pleasantly surprised. Here's a copy of my report.
Tim_Wolf_SessionReport.pdf
Here's where I'd like to get some opinions. I'm attaching two pictures that show the worst part of my game, and what Del focused on the most in my one-on-one with him. These stills are not from yesterday, but from another session I taped myself. They'll do as my finish position from yesterday is basically identical to what I'm posting. The first picture is going into the slide, and the second right at release.
vlcsnap-2018-04-15-13h14m04s072.png
vlcsnap-2018-04-15-13h11m30s421.png
As you can see, my slide is WAY too far to the left, and in the second photo, the ball is WAY too far from my ankle. My question is, although my speed/rev rate is pretty well matched, could this be robbing me of both? I especially wonder if that's why my rev rate variation is so high, as indicated on my Specto report.

Del told me to practice doing the last two steps, at home and without a ball, 200 times a day. I also should be doing a lot of one step drills at the bowling center. Another thing he wants me to work on is spine tilt, but not how it's normally taught. He said just tilting to the right will end up hurting your back. He told me to pretend I was about to shoot a shot in pool, and that automatically put my body in the correct position. It's bending at the waist at about a 1:30 position on a clock. Another thing he had me do is put both hands on both knees, and then put both hands on my right knee. This too put me in the correct position.

Now, here's what he told me that is causing me to still be scratching my head. I was playing a line that was 11 at the arrows to 8 at the breakpoint. Now, going by his recommendation of sliding only five boards left of the laydown point, I started out with the inside of my left foot on board 19. He said this was totally out of alignment and I needed to move right. In fact, at one point he told me to start with my left foot on board ten, and drift to the left!

He did not do this with other students I observed, so I have NO idea why he was doing this with me. Needless to say, in the 30 minutes I (and one other student) had with him, I just didn't get it. In fact, he said in class that he would drift left different amounts depending on where he was playing on the lane. I'm not saying he's wrong, but I just don't think I want to fool with this considering I'm just a once a week league bowler. I wonder if this might have been some sort of overcompensation move to fix something else, which if it was, he didn't say what.

I'd appreciate any feedback from you coaches, especially anyone who has worked with or observed Del and might have some insight on why he was having me line up like he did.

All in all, I'm very encouraged. Once I fix the flaws with my footwork, I'll be anxious to see how much better my stats get. My house is installing Specto, so I'll be able to periodically check myself to see if I'm improving.

Oh, and one more thing, please don't tell me I need more knee bend. I have arthritic knees, am overweight, and have weak legs. I'm going to the gym, so hopefully that will help. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Kegel Road Show - York PA

Post by JMerrell »

Tim,
I called Del and he said he would answer your questions. I sent you his cell phone number in a private message and email message.

Jim
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Pjape, thanks for sharing your experience and bowling data.
Your decision to improve your fitness is a wise one which should improve your quality of life.
Overweight is a relative term, there are folks that bowl well and make you look slim.
I encourage you to see a physical trainer for a customized program for YOU.
Proper technique and planning are IMPERATIVE.

Regarding your comments about spine tilt, I encourage you to view the ETBF video on the wiki, it will be time well spent, you can also find it broken into 3 segments if you surf YouTube. Surfing YouTube, you can also find some KTC training posted by various individuals. Something can always be learned.

Here are two wiki video references.
The ETBF video -
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... hing_Video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A set of 10 videos from Kegel
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally, I do not know your age or size.
Fitness is a journey not a destination.
I'm a senior and then some.
I'm around 5'8""
Once was in the 250 pound range.
Workaholic, no workout, no fun, no life.
Started workout routine 2 years ago this coming June.
Current weight 180, built more like a wide receiver than a wide load now.
Been told I look like I've trained all my life.
Not about me, just to show you, that you can always improve.
Older folks than I are in better shape, stronger, more flexible.
As I said, it's relative.
Just strive to be a better version of you today than yesterday and live by that.
You'll do ok.
Rome was not built in a day.
Be patient, be dedicated, be well.

Take care.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
pjape

Post by pjape »

kajmk wrote:Pjape, thanks for sharing your experience and bowling data.
Your decision to improve your fitness is a wise one which should improve your quality of life.
Overweight is a relative term, there are folks that bowl well and make you look slim.
I encourage you to see a physical trainer for a customized program for YOU.
Proper technique and planning are IMPERATIVE.

Regarding your comments about spine tilt, I encourage you to view the ETBF video on the wiki, it will be time well spent, you can also find it broken into 3 segments if you surf YouTube. Surfing YouTube, you can also find some KTC training posted by various individuals. Something can always be learned.

Here are two wiki video references.
The ETBF video -
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... hing_Video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A set of 10 videos from Kegel
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally, I do not know your age or size.
Fitness is a journey not a destination.
I'm a senior and then some.
I'm around 5'8""
Once was in the 250 pound range.
Workaholic, no workout, no fun, no life.
Started workout routine 2 years ago this coming June.
Current weight 180, built more like a wide receiver than a wide load now.
Been told I look like I've trained all my life.
Not about me, just to show you, that you can always improve.
Older folks than I are in better shape, stronger, more flexible.
As I said, it's relative.
Just strive to be a better version of you today than yesterday and live by that.
You'll do ok.
Rome was not built in a day.
Be patient, be dedicated, be well.

Take care.
Thanks John. I've watched the ETBF videos several times. Great stuff. In fact, when Del mentioned about hurting the back, I immediately thought of what Juha said about the same thing in this video.

As far as losing weight, I need to do what I did in 2009; stop drinking sweetened drinks (as I type this I'm drinking a Coke from McDonalds!). That's all I did and I lost 35 pounds. We were even discussing this at work today. Why on earth didn't I stick with it?! :x I really think getting the weight off will help my knees feel better, which will help me bowl better. The long term goal is to put off a walker as long as possible. :lol:

I'm really anxious to see with hard, intelligent work just how much I can improve by the fall season. That's what I love about our sport; there's always something to work on.