open shoulder to square shoulder

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

Kiani
Preferred Company: 900Global

open shoulder to square shoulder

Post by Kiani »

Dear Coaches

Hi I am back again with a question.

Kindly note that as I was practicing the other day I noticed that when I open my shoulder specially in the 3rd step and just before I slide and release the ball (very much like Parker Bohn III) I keep the body very much square, now the transition of the upper body is very much like a boxer trying to hit a heavy right jab when standing on the right guard.

The things that I noticed was much much better position 100% solid stand at the end, longer slide and better flat spot, shot accuracy pretty high, and most important (for me) late hand turn and more hand behind the ball, and much more speed (need to control that specially at the beginning with much heavier oil on the line)

but the thing is that if i want to do it I have to go with the weight of the ball, I am not sure that if I can explain it or not when the ball is starting its down swing and my left hand thumb down starts to move from 12 o clock to 10 and 9 that is when I am almost at the mid of my slide and my chest is facing the the front and my shoulder / ball and wrist is facing the target.

The one important thing is that this rotation may change your height a bit specially at the end because your shoulders are becoming almost square but you still have a lot of control over it.

One more thing you have to move slowly specially your first step is almost less than half a step because you have to wait for the back swing between the 3rd and 4th step, in other words you move with the ball at all times in other words if I am stating it correctly there is a drop in the swing which you use this way in you advantage.

Also that open to square shoulder produces massive power at the end.

The above was my experienced which I wanted to share and have you great ones tell me cons and pros of this as always I am open to all kind of suggestions.

Thank you as always and looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards
H..A.Kiani
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: open shoulder to square shoulder

Post by kajmk »

Kiani, thanks for sharing.
I don't know if you've watched the ETBF videos, there are links on the wiki and you can find the long one broken into three parts on YouTube and within some threads on the forum. http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... hing_Video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The second one by Mohamed Janahi contains text annotating the video.
I've isolated the text. That text, and comments by Juha, discuss the very things you described. That text is good notebook material.
Additionally, I've been watching YouTube videos by a physical therapist/trainer Jeff Cavaliere. He worked for the New York Mets baseball team as the trainer for the team.
Consider he was working with million dollar athletes. Although he run a business, he has dozens of helpful videos on YouTube. One of his videos touches on what you mentioned.
Jeff often used a skeleton showing the target muscles etc. to illustrate his points
His policy is to train you like an athlete, it's not all weight lifting but functional athletic training for mobility, stability, strength, endurance. Training with or without equipment, at home, at a gym. He has worked with professional athletes in various sports.
Look for Athlean-x for men, Athlean-xx for women.
Bowling is an athletic endeavor, the more we treat ourselves as athletes and seek informed sources, the better off we can be.
Let me know what you think.

I know your focus was not on this area of the anatomy, the hips, but it serves to illustrate Jeff's approach. In my 40's my hips started giving me problems that seriously affected my game. Back then there was no YouTube.

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=g70Jq2NjQwY[/youtube]

A good stretch
[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=JiMdrw0KyVU[/youtube]

Cheers and thanks again for sharing.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Kiani
Preferred Company: 900Global

Re: open shoulder to square shoulder

Post by Kiani »

kajmk wrote:Kiani, thanks for sharing.
I don't know if you've watched the ETBF videos, there are links on the wiki and you can find the long one broken into three parts on YouTube and within some threads on the forum. http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... hing_Video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The second one by Mohamed Janahi contains text annotating the video.
I've isolated the text. That text, and comments by Juha, discuss the very things you described. That text is good notebook material.
Additionally, I've been watching YouTube videos by a physical therapist/trainer Jeff Cavaliere. He worked for the New York Mets baseball team as the trainer for the team.
Consider he was working with million dollar athletes. Although he run a business, he has dozens of helpful videos on YouTube. One of his videos touches on what you mentioned.
Jeff often used a skeleton showing the target muscles etc. to illustrate his points
His policy is to train you like an athlete, it's not all weight lifting but functional athletic training for mobility, stability, strength, endurance. Training with or without equipment, at home, at a gym. He has worked with professional athletes in various sports.
Look for Athlean-x for men, Athlean-xx for women.
Bowling is an athletic endeavor, the more we treat ourselves as athletes and seek informed sources, the better off we can be.
Let me know what you think.

I know your focus was not on this area of the anatomy, the hips, but it serves to illustrate Jeff's approach. In my 40's my hips started giving me problems that seriously affected my game. Back then there was no YouTube.

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=g70Jq2NjQwY[/youtube]

A good stretch
[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=JiMdrw0KyVU[/youtube]

Cheers and thanks again for sharing.
Dear kajmk

I thank for your comments as always and as always they give good information to follow

I have downloaded the ETBF as JMerrell was the first one to mention and provide me the link and since then I have come back to it regularly to check and re-check what I was doing or just to clarify some of my own points, regarding Mr. Janahi, well he came to our part of the world 2 times and I am still in touch with him and I also have downloaded his video it is good when I want to check on a friend playing but for myself I need to have what I am doing filmed and then could cross check with him, Juha also came here a long time a go but unfortunately I was not in the country.

I believe that it was one of the information that you provided me regarding the trailing leg at the end position which stated: "Think that you have to send your trailing leg to the next line." and the most important point was: "The more exaggerate you think that you are doing in your mind the more likely it is that you will be doing it right the gap between what you have in your mind and what is actually happening is very much."

which brings me to the same question, I can nail the final position when I throw my 4th step all the way to the side and at the same or a bit before that I start turning from open shoulder to the square shoulder I can even see my knee continuation, as i mentioned is more like heavy right jab and NOT a heavy uppercut (I have not tried pumping it yet :D Marshall Kent is a good example of a good uppercut).

In any case I think that it all comes down to what kind of physical form you have not every one is like Fegan all soft or like Sean Rash very aggressive; but the transition from Open shoulder at the start into square shoulder at the end integrates a lots of important and detailed elements together, well this is what i think.

I thank you again for all the points and being here for us and wishing you the best, and I am always looking forward to more information.

regards
HAKiani