Getting my rev rate up, hand on top of the ball

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

etnhero

Getting my rev rate up, hand on top of the ball

Post by etnhero »

Hello all,

I've been practicing the past 2 months to get my rev rate up and I can't seem to get further under the ball. Sometimes I end up lofting the ball up at release when I think my hand is under the ball. I practice at home on the floor to replicate being the ball but when I practice on the ones, my hand ends up on top of the ball. I feel like I'm straightening my wrist as much as possible and even try cupping it. Could it be a span/pitch issue? Any help is appreciated.

Back view: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Side view: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LittleTiger

Re: Getting my rev rate up, hand on top of the ball

Post by LittleTiger »

First of all. I'm not coatch so these are just my personal opinions.

Your timing looks actually very good and I would expect more revs already.

Thing which comes to my mind is that you probably are forcing ball down from backswing instead of waiting it. So my suggestion is that instead of trying cup your wrist/worry about it you should learn wait the ball and learn release it from relaxed hand.

Another thing which comes to my mind is that you should practice keep your hand inside of ball on backswing. Look: http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... rn_Release

Hopefully these helps.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

not coach either these are just IMO,

I think your pulling the swing down to bring the ball back in time at the finish, So your timing might be slightly late. So maybe try getting the ball started just a little earlier.

Also at the release try and get a little more behind ball and the finger a bit more under the equator of the ball.

Red is where your at now, go a little more toward the green arrow.
ball release.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Ok, here we go. Yes, as said before your timing is late when you arrive at Mark Baker's timing spot, when your slide heel touches the floor your throwing arm is yet not parallel to the approach. This may be causing you to pull down in order to catch up. You could try to wait for it and if that doesn't work then as suggested you could try to push away a half step earlier. After you let go of the ball on your push away don't do anything to it until it is about to reach your slide ankle just before release (flat spot), let it be and only accelerate at the end. Drills you could do:

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Week 4 finish drill. Focus on rolling the ball off your hand into the lane (look at your wrist while doing the drill), relax the wrist and imagine you are playing with a yo-yo. You could try a few with your ball thumb in and a few with a light house ball only inserting your fingers (no thumb), this will teach you the cup uncup but make sure it's a light ball. With the no thumb house ball you will need to bend your elbow.

Week 5 swing and slide. This will teach you not to pull down from the top of the backswing.

Practice these drills for three or four games every other day for a couple of weeks and report back. You could do two games finish drill and two games swing and slide. Good luck.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
2y2
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 and 3/8 over
Speed: 17 mph
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10º
Axis Rotation: 45º
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm CodeX
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Python
Light Oil Ball: Pitch Blue
Preferred Company: None

Post by 2y2 »

First of all, why do you want more revs? Do you need them? Are you speed dominant? many bowlers just want to be more powerful or even just more spectacular. The release is the las piece of the puzzle,therefore it's the easiest one to find, the one that lasts less, it's just a snap, most of all, the release is a consequence of what happens before. Lifting will not give you more revs, your hand is going up at your release, the pins are not in the ceiling.

I tried to answer this question in another topic, maybe it can help you,
viewtopic.php?p=99363#p99363
If you think I helped, please click on the "+" button, Thanks.
ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by ballspoint »

I am also not a coach, but i have been where you are Try cupping along with pressing the index finger hard against the ball to help the wrist cupping, without too much finger pressure from those in the ball, hard to do but work on it.
When you finally get it, you will find the thumb can be really relaxed for a super smooth release. The flat spot really helps staying under the ball, so as others said it is the whole thing together being done well to get a good release. i didn't get much more revs (never had many to start with) but the release is smooth and CONSISTENT.
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up