Board index » Coaching Forums » Community Coaching

Post subject: maintain the "right" mindset
 Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:32 pm Post Number: #1 Post

Reputation Power: 1
As a beginner - medium level bowler I often feel out of control with my mind, especially when I miss a couple "easy" shots in a row. It is like i lose the "flow" and then its really hard to recover. For example I was playing with my buddies the other night and I was doing fine, about 160 which is my avg. Then I launched a ball straight into the gutter, and everything started to go downhill from that point; less score, less interest, and less motivation.
So my question is how to keep the right mindset after unlikely shots?

Operating at https://bowlbusters.com
Speed - 14.78mph | Throw - Right
High Game - 240 | High Series - 617 (210, 189, 218)

Post subject: Re: maintain the "right" mindset
 Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:21 pm Post Number: #2 Post
Certified Coach

Reputation Power: 2
When you are having bad shots try to focus on one thing you know you can do very well. It can be for example: post your shot or follow through or giving it revs, whatever you know you are really good at and just focus on that one positive you already have in your bag... hope that helps.

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:41 pm Post Number: #3 Post

The goal is to separate the result from the process. You can control where you throw it but you can't control the result. Have a consistent approach. Hit your mark. Throw the ball consistently. Make adjustments.

If you throw the ball well and hit your mark, then regardless of the result you should be satisfied. If you don't hit the pocket, then make the adjustment and move on.

If you throw the ball like crap, then you get what you get.

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:10 pm Post Number: #4 Post

You have to decide your mindset. There is no magic bullet here, you decide that those bad shots / form is not going to worry you. You'rv got to teach yourself to let go the bad shot, not worry about it, figure what you did wrong and think of making a better shot next ball. When ever i hit the pocket and leave the 10 pin, its just a bad shot, let it go and just turn around and try to make a better shot next time.

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:04 pm Post Number: #5 Post

ballspoint wrote:
When ever i hit the pocket and leave the 10 pin, its just a bad shot, let it go and just turn around and try to make a better shot next time.

Downside to this is not all 10-pins are bad shots. If the bowler does all of the physical things correctly and the result is a 10-pin, then it isn't a bad "shot". It may be a bad place to be on the lane, or the wrong ball, but not a bad shot.

It takes experience (bad lines and bad equipment) to reduce these instances, but it is needed to be successful. And it takes some more experience than others.

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:13 pm Post Number: #6 Post
Certified Coach

Reputation Power: 2
Yep, I agree. All ten pins are caused by deflection and many times we blame it on the physical when it's more about how and where the ball is rolling.

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:42 pm Post Number: #7 Post

spmcgivern wrote:

Downside to this is not all 10-pins are bad shots. If the bowler does all of the physical things correctly and the result is a 10-pin, then it isn't a bad "shot". It may be a bad place to be on the lane, or the wrong ball, but not a bad shot.

It takes experience (bad lines and bad equipment) to reduce these instances, but it is needed to be successful. And it takes some more experience than others.

I used that as a easy example for 'mindset', i agree on part of your comment thou.

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:39 pm Post Number: #8 Post
BCU Graduate Layouts

In the Wiki under the Coaching section there is a section titled Mental Games, there may be somethings in there that will help your mind set.

AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:00 pm Post Number: #9 Post

spmcgivern wrote:
The goal is to separate the result from the process. You can control where you throw it but you can't control the result. Have a consistent approach. Hit your mark. Throw the ball consistently. Make adjustments.

That's great advice. There's something from Dean Hinitz (Focused For Bowling) that I often fall back on, paraphrasing - Once you let go of the ball, you can't control the outcome, but you can certainly control your reaction to the outcome.

The Inner Game of Tennis is another very good read on the mental game.

How you proceed from a bad shot is up to you. Get pissed off and ruin the evening - or regroup/refocus, make a good shot and recover? We were talking about this exact thing last night at league. It takes a lot of practice to live in the moment, and move on from a bad shot, a bad break, even things out of your control like other bowlers, mechanical failures, etc.

Step back, take a deep breath. Make the best shot you possibly can. Observe what is happening, and adjust.

When my body aches or mind wanders and I'm not executing, I slow down, get extra methodical and concentrate on being smooth and deliberate. From there I can recalibrate.

Steve

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:18 pm Post Number: #10 Post

Was going through some Sports Illustrated magazines and came across one from the World Series this past year. The magazine had a copy of the game 7 line-up card for Joe Maddon and the Chicago Cubs. I found some of the minor details of his card are similar to this discussion.

* Do simple better
* "DNPTPTETP" - Do not permit the pressure to exceed the pleasure
* Process - Stick to the process; don't worry about results
* B present, not perfect

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/03/14/joe-maddon-world-series-game-7-lineup-card

Board index » Coaching Forums » Community Coaching