The lay down point

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

Kiani
Preferred Company: 900Global

The lay down point

Post by Kiani »

Dear Coaches

I hope that you are all fine and well and wishing you all the best always.

I am back again with another question and it would be highly appreciated if you would provide me with more information:

The question is the Lay down point, is there a specific concept that we need to understand / look for / execute regarding the lane and its oil pattern for example do we have to loft the ball for certain patterns? do we have to release the ball from few inches of the foul line for the heavy oil lanes to get the ball into action earlier?

From what I have read and understood is that if we just put away all of the variables that would effect the Lay down point like bad spine tilt, bad footing and etc... still this point is not clear for me regarding the lay down point and how would that effect the final performance? are we to categorize and divide the front part of the lane if so what are the results and when to do what?

Surely all of us have tried different ways with different liens but that was regarding our own experiment and experience therefore i need to know that if there are specific points that if we need to know.

I thank you all again

regards
HAKiani
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: The lay down point

Post by JMerrell »

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... House_Shot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
Kiani

Post by Kiani »

Dear JMerrell

Like always simple but effective. thank you for the awesome and simple information.

My original question came up because I was reading a point regarding the release points (distance) from the foul line from a USBC source, which was not very clear for me, but from what I have understood (which was not much due to not being a complete article at all) was that they categorized the release distance from the foul line in regard of the short to a long oil pattern for example if it is to short you loft the ball, but if it is too long you release is at the foul line and so on, that is why I brought this subject here to see if there is such thing and if so can you share the information.

But in any case the above link was a good point regarding that all that I play at the moment are the house patterns, that is why I play from the board 20 and give or take 5 boards regarding the oil therefore in order for me to be able to play on all the boards during practice I start from board 15 and work it up to board 35 and even more just to see that if I could hit it right.

Thank you again and wishing you the best.

regards
HAKiani
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Hello Kiani, about lofting, it is one of many adjustments you can do. With lofting basically what you are doing is making the lane shorter, the lane is 60 feet from the foul line to the head pin, if you loft 3' you are making the heads (part of the lane from the foul line to the arrows) shorter making the lane 57', this will help the ball go a bit longer and read later when the oil in the heads starts to go away. Lofting is a skill that not many average bowlers practice.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
pjape

Post by pjape »

TonyPR wrote:Hello Kiani, about lofting, it is one of many adjustments you can do. With lofting basically what you are doing is making the lane shorter, the lane is 60 feet from the foul line to the head pin, if you loft 3' you are making the heads (part of the lane from the foul line to the arrows) shorter making the lane 57', this will help the ball go a bit longer and read later when the oil in the heads starts to go away. Lofting is a skill that not many average bowlers practice.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but there are many PBA Hall of Famers who never loft the ball. I remember watching Norm Duke at the US Open on the burn, and while there were a fair number of guys lofting the left gutter cap with their balls hitting the lane at the arrows, Duke was playing a small hook in between 15 and 20, and was not missing the pocket. I've also never seen PDW loft the ball. I guess I'm not a huge fan of lofting because I'm not physically strong, and whenever I try it, my accuracy goes to you-know-where.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Yea, I know what you mean, it's just one more trick in the bag. In my case I can adjust speed and axis rotation plus I am learning how to be consistent with different loft distances, can't adjust axis tilt at will to save my life. I believe the more adjustments one can do the more versatile one can be. In my experience I use my legs in conjunction with my arm to loft but it's more legs, I just release higher than my ankle.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

TonyPR wrote:Yea, I know what you mean, it's just one more trick in the bag. In my case I can adjust speed and axis rotation plus I am learning how to be consistent with different loft distances, can't adjust axis tilt at will to save my life. I believe the more adjustments one can do the more versatile one can be. In my experience I use my legs in conjunction with my arm to loft but it's more legs, I just release higher than my ankle.
Tony, this post has some links that include varying axis tilt.
I'm guessing you know a lot if not all, but thought I'd mention it.

Some folks enlist the aid of wrist positioners for learning and training purposes.
I'm wondering if training with a light ball would shorten the learning curve ...

viewtopic.php?p=26829#p26829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts, comments??
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Post by rrb6699 »

tight thumb = more repeatable loft.
loose thumb = earlier release.

It works for me. loose thumb slows my speed down automatically since I have to find my limits which is easy to do. how? with a loose(r) thumb I'll drop the shot if I throw it too hard.

I do a lot by effectively taping the ball. once I get the correct feel its repeat, repeat.

try to practice with a loose thumb. you get very creative trying to generate speed with your legs in a hurry. especially dropping your body as you slide.
Tweenr-RH
300-(15) 290-(37) 280-(31)
Ser-1075-4gm, 867-3gm
speed dominant
Tilt: low°, Ax Rot: ~....°, PAP: 3 7/8 over- 1/2 up; Speed: 17.5mph Avg downlane
Several Wins/Top 5 Finishes-scr/hdcp tournaments.
Kiani

Post by Kiani »

rrb6699 wrote:tight thumb = more repeatable loft.
loose thumb = earlier release.

It works for me. loose thumb slows my speed down automatically since I have to find my limits which is easy to do. how? with a loose(r) thumb I'll drop the shot if I throw it too hard.

I do a lot by effectively taping the ball. once I get the correct feel its repeat, repeat.

try to practice with a loose thumb. you get very creative trying to generate speed with your legs in a hurry. especially dropping your body as you slide.

Dear rrb6699

It is good to hear from you.

You would not believe what kind of bowling ball I am using and for how long :lol: (chainsaw massacre more than 6 or 7 years) the ball looks like an old warrior the finger inserts has been changed but never the thumb the interesting thing is that the thumb feels like marble very smooth but I need to first get my self a new ball and second re-do the inserts and re-check my hand span and etc...

one thing I noticed lately is that with a loser thumb hole you actually will have a much much harder time trying to stay behind the ball as you hand starts its release earlier, unless you go Kung-fu grip which is something different.

One question can't you do all the speed thingy and release with just the change positioning of the wrist (except lofting)??

I thank you again and looking forward to hear from you.

best regards
HAKiani