Toe dragging - how to fix?

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

GBuck

Toe dragging - how to fix?

Post by GBuck »

Just wanted to know if anyone who drags their push off foot had this footwork issue fixed by a coach, and how this was done? I want to be able to buy shoes without having to choose one in order to not have the pushoff sole eaten away by dragging. Tired of buying shoes every season.

I know Dexter's The 9 has addressed this, but I want to fix the issue so I can choose the best shoes for my feet, not the approach. I like the comfort of the TPU-X, but blew the front of the pushoff sole away by dragging.
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Re: Toe dragging - how to fix?

Post by spmcgivern »

I didn't realize toe dragging was something you want to get rid of. I know a lot of people who which they could drag their toe, but instead, their foot flails up and causes balance issues.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

spmcgivern wrote:I didn't realize toe dragging was something you want to get rid of. I know a lot of people who which they could drag their toe, but instead, their foot flails up and causes balance issues.
The toe dragging in of itself is not the problem, it's the wear on the shoe. The more recent shoes just don't seem to be able to hold up to the pressure being placed on the toe tips and the material seems to drag excessively and wears quickly.

While I don't toe drag to the point that I destroy the toe.

On my Dexters SST's I wore down the rubber tip.

Then on my TPU-X's the edge of the traction sole would drag enough that it pulled the velcro loose and it quit sticking to the shoe. I told KR and they sent me a replacement and said to just not put it close to the edge.

Since it wasn't a big problem at the time I continued to use it till recently, when it started to fold back and drag too much.

Instead of using the replacement and just fudging it over, I figured I could come up with a better idea.

So I did this which is working well:

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by bowl1820 on February 28th, 2017, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

Good idea, what kind of glue did you use? -- JohnP
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

JohnP wrote:Good idea, what kind of glue did you use? -- JohnP
None!

The TPU-X's have interchangeable soles on both shoes, so have velcro soles.

I just stuck it on like any other interchangeable sole, the hook part of the velcro on the shoe was fine. So the dexter sole stuck right on.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

You can always use Shoe Goo... I used it a lot in the 90's and 2000's when ollieing a skateboard would wear my sneaker's side regularly...
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

GBuck wrote:Just wanted to know if anyone who drags their push off foot had this footwork issue fixed by a coach, and how this was done? I want to be able to buy shoes without having to choose one in order to not have the pushoff sole eaten away by dragging. Tired of buying shoes every season.

I know Dexter's The 9 has addressed this, but I want to fix the issue so I can choose the best shoes for my feet, not the approach.
Any chance you can post a video from behind and from the side?

From what I've seen before, dragging the toe of the push off foot is usually caused by not transferring your weight from this foot to your slide foot quick enough, or early enough. It can also be caused if your hips are facing right at the release (for a right hander) so the right toe never flips over as the right leg extends, instead the toe stays pointing down and is dragged to the left.

A video would help if you would like to fix the cause.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

bowl1820 wrote:
None!

The TPU-X's have interchangeable soles on both shoes, so have velcro soles.

I just stuck it on like any other interchangeable sole, the hook part of the velcro on the shoe was fine. So the dexter sole stuck right on.
Thanks -- JohnP
GBuck

Post by GBuck »

deanchamp wrote:
Any chance you can post a video from behind and from the side?

From what I've seen before, dragging the toe of the push off foot is usually caused by not transferring your weight from this foot to your slide foot quick enough, or early enough. It can also be caused if your hips are facing right at the release (for a right hander) so the right toe never flips over as the right leg extends, instead the toe stays pointing down and is dragged to the left.

A video would help if you would like to fix the cause.
Hi Dean,

Attached are the videos. I was able to dig in the archive and find both.

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by GBuck on March 3rd, 2017, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bowlin4Beers

Post by Bowlin4Beers »

I'm not really seeing any drag here though I'm watching it on my phone.
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Post by Viper »

Bowlin4Beers wrote:I'm not really seeing any drag here though I'm watching it on my phone.
I would agree and I'm watching on my laptop. If you are talking about the non-sliding foot, I can see that dragging a bit as the toe moves to the side as you slide. I do the same, that is, have the same motion, and have worn out a number of toe caps (3G's) doing it. My fix is to put a sliding cover over my non-sliding sole. The toe now easily moves to the side and I haven't replaced another toe cap. I have worn through several of the slide covers but they easier to replace than the toe caps.

Your question now is, why do I wear the sliding cover on my non-sliding foot? The reason is it slows down my foot work and walking speed. I was/am speed dominate and the slide cover will cause my foot to slip out from under me if I go too fast. After several months I found I didn't need the slide cover; however, I found that without it the sliding of my toe to the side was actually bothering my knee caused by the friction of the rubber toe cap on the approach. I immediately put the slide cover back on the shoe and have never had another problem. Not saying that is what your problem is but that is what I see. In your case, you could adapt the slide by cutting away much of the slide over the sole and leave just enough to cover the toe.

Viper/Joe
Last edited by Viper on March 3rd, 2017, 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera
GBuck

Post by GBuck »

Bowling for Beers and Viper,

It's the non sliding foot that I was referring to. In this video, I was concentrating so hard on tightrope walking that the foot didn't drag as bad. For years, I am trying to get the foot to roll over instead of it dragging off the big toe.
Bowlin4Beers

Post by Bowlin4Beers »

GBuck wrote:Bowling for Beers and Viper,

It's the non sliding foot that I was referring to. In this video, I was concentrating so hard on tightrope walking that the foot didn't drag as bad. For years, I am trying to get the foot to roll over instead of it dragging off the big toe.

I figured this wasn't a good representation of your drag issue. It looks to be about what I do and I haven't noticed any unusual wear on my non slide toe.

I've seen some people glue a piece of soft side Velcro to the top cap to protect it. Could always try that.
GBuck

Post by GBuck »

I found another video that is more representative and edited my post. Check that one.
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Post by Viper »

GBuck wrote:I found another video that is more representative and edited my post. Check that one.

GBuck, I reviewed your videos. I am not a qualified coach so maybe MegaMav can bump this over to the coaching discussion and get one of those guys to help you. I can see what you are talking about and believe I know what you want to achieve. Maybe it can be fixed, hence the recommendation to bump over your topic. That said, until you can fix it to your satisfaction, I would ask you to try a modified slide cover as I mentioned before and see if that helps you in the interim.

Good luck and good bowling,

Viper/Joe
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera