Question on crossover step/swing slot

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

pjape

Question on crossover step/swing slot

Post by pjape »

I've been thinking about this, and would like some opinions. Most coaches agree that a bowler should have step two (of a 5 step approach-right hander) go in front of the left foot in order to give the ball room to swing. It is also taught that a bowler should incorporate lateral spine tilt for the same reason.

What I'm wondering, would it be OK to have the right foot go straight ahead and not crossover directly in front of the left provided the lateral spine tilt was sufficient to be able to swing unimpeded and the right leg not get in the way? I just find it much easier to walk more like we do when just walking and not bowling. The other issue I have is due to the fact that I used to walk to the right, I worked on this a lot, but I've found many times my crossover step is too much and I actually get a bit left of the left foot, which doesn't work. I was practicing this in my living room, doing the first couple of steps with the ball, and found I can have my second step go straight ahead and have no issues with the right leg getting in the way, provided I have sufficient lateral spine tilt.

Do any of you happen to bowl this way? Thoughts?
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Re: Question on crossover step/swing slot

Post by spmcgivern »

One of the reasons for the combination of the tilt and crossover step is maintain the center of gravity over your feet. If you get your CG too far to the outside you can lose balance along the way. There is a thing as too much lateral tilt.

Not saying it can't be done effectively. After all, it is something that one strives to do. But ideally, maintaining the CG over your feet during the approach is ideal.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Focus on putting your cross over foot heel in front of your other foot when practicing at home, also setting up your lateral spine tilt at address will force you to naturally cross over, like said it's your body looking for balance so don't even think about crossing over or intentionally try it, it will happen naturally if you drop your shoulder at address and keep it that way.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Kiani
Preferred Company: 900Global

Post by Kiani »

pjape wrote:I've been thinking about this, and would like some opinions. Most coaches agree that a bowler should have step two (of a 5 step approach-right hander) go in front of the left foot in order to give the ball room to swing. It is also taught that a bowler should incorporate lateral spine tilt for the same reason.

What I'm wondering, would it be OK to have the right foot go straight ahead and not crossover directly in front of the left provided the lateral spine tilt was sufficient to be able to swing unimpeded and the right leg not get in the way? I just find it much easier to walk more like we do when just walking and not bowling. The other issue I have is due to the fact that I used to walk to the right, I worked on this a lot, but I've found many times my crossover step is too much and I actually get a bit left of the left foot, which doesn't work. I was practicing this in my living room, doing the first couple of steps with the ball, and found I can have my second step go straight ahead and have no issues with the right leg getting in the way, provided I have sufficient lateral spine tilt.

Do any of you happen to bowl this way? Thoughts?

I am not a certified coach or anything but this is what I know:

They say that the start of a good smooth swing is how you stand and start at the beginning, that is why the knees are bent, your bowling feet are (for right hand would be the right foot) is a bit behind but one thing that I learned was that the ball is to be between the shoulder and the chin and also the bowling shoulder need to be dropped, so just to make it short:

1- The first position important for the Swing

2- The 3rd step is to be fixed for the spine angle

3- The 4th step fixed for the height

4- The 5th step (slide) carries all of it to the end exactly as it has been fixed.

I also had a the same problem I used to walk to the left (start board 15 finish at 20 approximately) but the moment that I fixed my starting position with the ball between my chin and shoulder and the bowling shoulder dropped I automatically start doing the Crossover step without even thinking about it, also my start and finish board is spot on.