Ball speed

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

jjones
THS Average: 196
Positive Axis Point: 5" over 1/16" up
Speed: 17 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 8
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Supreme
Medium Oil Ball: Rave On
Light Oil Ball: slingshot
Preferred Company: Radical

Ball speed

Post by jjones »

Hello all.

I was recently eaten alive on my FB forum when I mentioned raising the ball in my stance and slowing my feet to sync with my swing, (timing) to increase my ball speed.

Am I correct or have I been misled?

You want to stay in time to create leverage. If you are too quick getting to the line you pull the ball forward and that promotes inaccuracy.

So which is it?
ReaX V2 Solid
ReaX V2 Pearl
Yeti Uncaged
Yeti
ReaX Pearl
Grease Monkey POW
Grease Monkey
Polyester Spare ball
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Ball speed

Post by bowl1820 »

jjones wrote:Hello all.

I was recently eaten alive on my FB forum when I mentioned raising the ball in my stance and slowing my feet to sync with my swing, (timing) to increase my ball speed.
IMO and others might have a different view, but here it goes. If you are wanting to increase ball speed, you wouldn't slow your feet.

You would speed up your feet and adjust your ball height to match up with your foot movements.

There's a old book called "Bowling: Knowledge is Key" by Fred Borden in it there's a part where he talks about "vertical placement" (Holding the ball higher or lower).

In it he talks about not holding it higher or lower to increase or decrease speed. But use it as a way of controlling arm swing timing to match the tempo of your feet movements. Raising the ball retards the arm swing in relation to the feet movement, lowering the ball advances the arm swing timing in relation to the feet movements

So Bowlers with a naturally fast tempo, hold the ball lower to match up with their footwork. Those with a slower tempo, hold the ball higher because it retards the swing.

Now if holding the ball higher retards the swing, that would mean it would be basically a longer, slower swing. And so the higher you hold it, the longer and slower the swing be.

Now if your trying to increase speed , using a longer and slower swing wouldn't help. You would wind up having to accelerate your arm through that longer, slower swing. Not only To make up for the speed you lost with the longer swing, but to get that extra speed you wanted in the first place. That would mean adding muscle to the swing, but muscling isn't something we want to do.

Now if you increase or decrease speed using foot work (as Bryan O'Keefe's article "CONTROL YOUR ROLL INCREASING/DECREASING BALL SPEED" suggests). then using a lower ball height for faster and higher one for slower makes makes sense, because it's just matching up the swing timing with the foot work. Plus you can still have a free swing, with no muscles involved to increase the speed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

http://www.gobowlingshow.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Listen to the 8/10/2016 Episode where Fred Borden talks about the way he teaches speed control today. Precisely at 17:15
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Qman
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/8 1/2 up
Rev Rate: 280
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 20
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Sinister
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Solid
Light Oil Ball: Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical/Storm/Roto Grip

Post by Qman »

Is matching speed and control that hard these days with as much data that has been offered? :?
Adapt or perish!

PAP 4 1/8, 1/2 up
Axis Rotation 20
Axis Tilt 23
Rev rate 280
Speed Dominate / Rev Challenged
14-16mph at monitor