2 handed critique

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

Peezy112
Preferred Company: Storm

2 handed critique

Post by Peezy112 »

Ive been bowling 2 handed for a year, bowling for about 5. Please critique and comment, any help is appreciated!
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: 2 handed critique

Post by TonyPR »

Hello, I have been teaching myself to bowl two handed too for a bit over a year now. Here's what I saw:
First your timing looks good and your balance at the foul line is good too. Posting shots is very important and you seem to do that well. I would recommend you get some bowling shoes and develop a slide for two reasons: longevity of your left knee and hip and to have a larger margin of error on your timing. When one bowls two handed the power has to come from the legs and a good slide is also critical to transfering the energy created with the approach more efficiently.

Next thing, relax your arms all the way from your neck to your shoulders to your elbows, your elbows should be straight from the bottom of the swing before and as you release the ball. Again think bowling with your legs not your upper body. When you relax your arms and use your legs efficiently you will create a coil/whip effect that will give you much more power.

Finally, I see you go around the ball more than you go through it. In my opinion, one of the advantages of two handed bowling is that it's easier to do the "modern" cup uncup release. Your release is not bad but going more through the ball will also give you more efficient energy transfer.

I would give you two homeworks: the foul line drill to work on the cup uncup release and a 1 step drill to develop a slide, the second one being the most critical at the moment.

Hope that helps.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Peezy112
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by Peezy112 »

Tony, thank you so much for the advice!

First, I'd like to mention that my shoes are indeed bowling shoes, brunswick brand forgotten model. They tend to look like low top basketball shoes so I do get that a lot! I know i should work on my slide step but for whatever reason I cannot make it happen. When i do try to incorporate a slide i tend to think of that step too much and my timing, balance, speed are all negatively impacted. I suppose more practice is the answer so time will tell if Im capable of sliding or not.

I will definitely work on "pushing through the ball". I completely understand how this will help with maximizing energy transference. Jim has provided some great analysis of what that looks like with a comparison of belmonte and myself. I also notice that I am muscling the ball more than i need to, ill work on relaxing my arm before and as i release. I can already imagine how both tips should help significantly in speed and power, cant wait to practice!

Thanks again for the advice. Amazing work and analysis!!!
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Jim is one of the best at video analysis, if you can, send him all the video views below and follow the advice given on camera angles and distance:

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When you are working on any part of your game the best way is to isolate that part, that is why we do drills. It is proven that it takes about 1,500 repetitions of doing something in order for it to become natural/not forced. If we try to learn something new by starting where you start your regular approach and doing a full approach, our unconscious mind will just press play and we will do what we already know how to do and have been doing for a long time, if we try to force in a new movement consciously that's when things go haywire and that's what's probably happening to you when you try to incorporate a slide into your full approach.

My advice would be to do a 1 step drill and learn how to do it properly by having someone qualified watch you or video you so you can watch yourself. When practicing, aling yourself so you purposely don't strike on the first shot of every frame, that way you get 20 one step drills per game you practice (remember you need 1,500 reps). Practicing 3-6 games of doing just the one step drill will sound boring and tedious but I can asure you it will help if you do it with proper form, remember practice does not make perfect, instead practice makes permanent. After you have been doing drills for a couple of weeks you can incorporate what I call the 20 step approach to 1 or 2games of your practice. You will not do 20 steps, it's just an exagerated name I came up with, what you will do is grab your ball and without putting your fingers in, start walking casually from the seatee area towards the foul line, just like you walked from the parking lot to inside the bowling center and without thinking about it, while you walk to the foul line, insert your fingers, swing the ball and release it. This will train your mind not to do what you used to do before the two weeks of drills, it will incorporate your newly learned slide to your other steps (skip step and power step) without you knowing it, just don't think about it, walk from the seatee area to the foul line, somewhere along the way when you feel like it put the ball into the swing and slide-release.

Another thing I would recommend is that for working on your release, I would recommend the same schedule but instead of a 1 step drill, do the no step drill otherwise known as the foul line drill. Get into your finish position at the foul line and focus only on releasing the ball properly.

Remember to work on one skill at a time, set your goals for every training session. In my opinion it is best you work on your slide first.

Check out these drills by Joe Slowinski:

https://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bowlin ... d-players/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Notice in the 1 step drill in the video coach Slowinski plants his slide foot, don't plant like him, do the drill with the slide. Your skip step looks good so you probably don't need to do drill #3.

Good luck and never give up!
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent