Long and Recoil Follow Thru

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

crashin12x
Positive Axis Point: 5" x 7/8"
Speed: 15.7 MPH Off Hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 65
Preferred Company: Hammer, Ebonite and MoRich

Long and Recoil Follow Thru

Post by crashin12x »

I watched Mo's seminar on "Effective Striking on Today's Game" last night. And I would say its wisdom beyond knowledge.

https://www.facebook.com/radical.bowlin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 643444341/

Towards the end of the presentation, he showed a video presentation on 2 kind of Follow Thru. The first is long and the other is recoil. The video however is not clear from the angle the presentation was taken.

Is there a reference video or image where I or we can get a clear picture how its done? Any recommended drills?

Thanks!
LHB
PAP 5" over LEFT x 7/8" over UP
Tilt 18*
Speed 16 MPH (Off Hand)
Rev 250 RPM
Rot 65*
pjape

Re: Long and Recoil Follow Thru

Post by pjape »

Mo covered this with me when I saw him back in March. Basically, the first one, once your hand gets to the top of the follow through, it stays there. When doing the more aggressive one, the hand will come back down.

I think the following two clips of Duke show the two different follow-throughs pretty well.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

crashin12x wrote:I watched Mo's seminar on "Effective Striking on Today's Game" last night. And I would say its wisdom beyond knowledge.

https://www.facebook.com/radical.bowlin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 643444341/

Towards the end of the presentation, he showed a video presentation on 2 kind of Follow Thru. The first is long and the other is recoil. The video however is not clear from the angle the presentation was taken.

Is there a reference video or image where I or we can get a clear picture how its done? Any recommended drills?

Thanks!

Part of that link appears to be missing and doesn't work.

Here's the link to Mo Pinel's Seminar "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
https://www.facebook.com/radical.bowlin ... 643444341/

Also heres the more recent version:

Mo Pinel LIVE Seminar "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
https://www.facebook.com/radical.bowlin ... 982949407/

and here's the PowerPoint presentation (in pdf) that goes with it.
http://radicalbowling.com/uploads/downl ... tation.pdf
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
pjape

Post by pjape »

I just noticed after watching the entire second clip again, that both types of follow throughs are done by Norm. He's playing straight on the left lane, and his hand stays in the air after he releases his ball.

Mo even said in the video that Norm is "a magician with a bowling ball."
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

In regard to the "Long" & "Recoil" follow through, after watching both of the seminar videos (which they are basically the same).

IMO it's not about where your hand ends up.

The "long" is just a long, smooth swing and release. as Mo puts it in the video, to get the ball down the lane and you got plenty of friction and want the ball to read it too.

The "recoil" is just accelerating the ball and putting some more finger into it at the bottom of the swing or as Mo puts it in the video , she "hits" or "rips" on it (the ball) and accelerates it at the bottom (of the swing).
pjape

Post by pjape »

bowl1820 wrote:In regard to the "Long" & "Recoil" follow through, after watching both of the seminar videos (which they are basically the same).

IMO it's not about where your hand ends up.

The "long" is just a long, smooth swing and release. as Mo puts it in the video, to get the ball down the lane and you got plenty of friction and want the ball to read it too.

The "recoil" is just accelerating the ball and putting some more finger into it at the bottom of the swing or as Mo puts it in the video , she "hits" or "rips" on it (the ball) and accelerates it at the bottom (of the swing).
Then you disagree with Mo. Every time I let my hand go down, he'd tell me about it, and tell me to keep it up.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

pjape wrote:
Then you disagree with Mo. Every time I let my hand go down, he'd tell me about it, and tell me to keep it up.
Its Not that im disagreeing with mo or you , I just thought at that particular section of the video it was addressing something else (the accelerating, hitting, ripping the ball he mentioned).

Now if he and you are saying a "recoil" follow through just means the arm comes swinging back down after the shot. And that you shouldnt do that, well thats fine.

though if that is the case he could have left off the remarks about the accelerating, hitting, ripping the ball unless he was trying to say that was the cause of the recoil. In which case he should have gone into more detail on how those caused the arm to come down.

Update going back and looking at the video again. Mo is describing two different way to follow through, the Long & the Recoil. The rag arming is mentioned after that.

He says if the long doesn't work then do the recoil one. He doesn't say don't do the recoil, he just says don't rag arm after doing it.

And looking at the earlier video of the seminar he doesn't mention the rag arming at all when talking about the two.

Updating Update:
Just happened across this mention of the recoil follow through in John Jowdy's book "Bowling eXecution", so thought I'd include it.

Last edited by bowl1820 on August 8th, 2016, 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
crashin12x

Post by crashin12x »

Great stuff. @bowl1820 how would rag be described?
LHB
Tilt 18*
Speed 16 MPH (Off Hand)
Rev 250 RPM
Rot 65*
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

crashin12x wrote:Great stuff. @bowl1820 how would rag be described?
When he says "Rag arming", "No 4th of July, putting a American flag in your hand and go swing it for ole glory" or the little quip about "flagellation" LOL

That's referring to the swinging of the arm back and forth (pendulum like) after the shot. (you can just make out Mo doing it just off screen when he says it)

You can see it carried to the extreme in this video:

[youtube][/youtube]

The swinging of the arm back and forth is considered by some as a sign of a muscle free swing.
crashin12x

Post by crashin12x »

bowl1820 wrote:
When he says "Rag arming", "No 4th of July, putting a American flag in your hand and go swing it for ole glory" or the little quip about "flagellation" LOL

That's referring to the swinging of the arm back and forth (pendulum like) after the shot. (you can just make out Mo doing it just off screen when he says it)

You can see it carried to the extreme in this video:

[youtube][/youtube]

The swinging of the arm back and forth is considered by some as a sign of a muscle free swing.
I was able to watch the other version and I see what you are describing. Thanks!
LHB
Tilt 18*
Speed 16 MPH (Off Hand)
Rev 250 RPM
Rot 65*