Pivot Step/Ball Speed

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

pjape

Pivot Step/Ball Speed

Post by pjape »

I've noticed some issues with my game, and have a few questions. Sunday night I started practicing to get ready for fall league the end of August. I've been concentrating on specific skill drills, as opposed to just bowling game after game. Here are some interesting things I've noticed.

I start out with the foul line drill. I get positioned at the foul line, swing the ball once or twice, and release it. I noticed on the Quibica monitor that my ball speed was about 7.5 mph. Not surprising considering I had no approach.

Next, I did the one step drill. I did a normal push-away and swing, and then did my slide on the downswing. I was surprised my ball speed went up around 13.5 mph.

Here's where it gets interesting. When I do a full approach, my speed only goes up about 1 mph. I'm even trying to go to a 5 step approach to generate more speed. One would think if I can throw it 13.5 with only a slide, I should be able to generate much more speed with a full approach.

When I got home I watched a video of myself from the end of 2015. One thing I noticed is my pivot step is WAY too long. I wonder if this is what's screwing me up. I also noticed on the video myself lunging at the foul line when I throw the ball. I wonder if this too is caused by too long a pivot step. I did notice that the feel was very different when doing the drill as opposed to a full approach.

Do you think my self-analysis is correct? If not, I'd welcome some suggestions. You might disagree with my goal for this year, but it's basically to not suck. Last season I finished at 202; the two previous seasons at 203. Considering high average is 240 or higher, 202 is pretty bad.

Thanks!!
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Re: Pivot Step/Ball Speed

Post by stevespo »

Post some recent video and have Coach Merrell take a look.

Regarding the ball speed, I don't think it's really a factor of how many steps, but where (and how) the acceleration happens. I start slow, with small steps 1 and 2, and load up on the pivot so the early steps don't seem to add much ball speed for me either. I used to start fast and take longer steps and had more ball speed, but I've made an effort to slow down and become more deliberate/balanced with speed/revs.

You might want to purchase/review the Mark Baker video. His 10 key positions have been really helpful for me. He does coach a short pivot with your head directly above the foot. Leaning too far forward at that point can cause problems with dropping your hips/shoulder and balance at the line. In BJI this month, Michelle Mullen says the lunge you're describing could be caused by early timing, so there might be a push away issue or need to get the feet/swing more lined up.

Personally, I need slightly late timing with my push away which allows me to hit the pivot step and "timing spot" more reliably, and creates a nice flat zone on the release. Everybody is different, and coaches judge timing differently as well. It's very hard to diagnose these things without quality video from the back/side. The Baker video has good information about how to shoot this for optimal analysis.

Lastly, don't be judgmental and compare yourself to the 240 bowlers, although they might help motivate you. Set reasonable, achievable goals and use deliberate practice (like you're doing) to accomplish them. Quantitative scoring goals are one path, but I much prefer to look at the quality of the shots. Do I feel balanced? Can I post (almost) every shot? Can I make 6 really clean, accurate shots a game. Can I make 7 or 8? How many clean games can I shoot each week, make all my spares? When you can do those things, the scoring will naturally follow.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
spr3wr
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by spr3wr »

pjape wrote:
I start out with the foul line drill. I get positioned at the foul line, swing the ball once or twice, and release it. I noticed on the Quibica monitor that my ball speed was about 7.5 mph. Not surprising considering I had no approach.

Next, I did the one step drill. I did a normal push-away and swing, and then did my slide on the downswing. I was surprised my ball speed went up around 13.5 mph.

Here's where it gets interesting. When I do a full approach, my speed only goes up about 1 mph. I'm even trying to go to a 5 step approach to generate more speed. One would think if I can throw it 13.5 with only a slide, I should be able to generate much more speed with a full approach.

When I got home I watched a video of myself from the end of 2015. One thing I noticed is my pivot step is WAY too long. I wonder if this is what's screwing me up. I also noticed on the video myself lunging at the foul line when I throw the ball. I wonder if this too is caused by too long a pivot step. I did notice that the feel was very different when doing the drill as opposed to a full approach.

Thanks!!
As far as the long pivot step most likely your push-away is late causing you to have late push-away timing.Having late timing your body has to do something so that the ball can get to the release point as your slide foot stops. So... by taking a long pivot step it takes longer to finish your approach. Don't know many bowlers with good push-away timing that have a long pivot step.
Another way of your body makes up for late timing is to pull the ball down from the top of the backswing. This may be why your ball speed is only 1 mph different in the 1 step compared to the full approach.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know this is a video for women but this best describe what I'm talking about.
None active - USBC Bronze level coach
Dick Ritger level 1 coach
2 300 games
1 800 series
High average 223
Coaching with pros in clinics since 2004
pjape

Post by pjape »

spr3wr wrote:
As far as the long pivot step most likely your push-away is late causing you to have late push-away timing.Having late timing your body has to do something so that the ball can get to the release point as your slide foot stops. So... by taking a long pivot step it takes longer to finish your approach. Don't know many bowlers with good push-away timing that have a long pivot step.
Another way of your body makes up for late timing is to pull the ball down from the top of the backswing. This may be why your ball speed is only 1 mph different in the 1 step compared to the full approach.

I know this is a video for women but this best describe what I'm talking about.
Thanks! Yes, I've always struggled with a late push-away; I think it's something I did before I really got into the sport when I'd go open bowling. When I do get into the swing on time, it feels very weird and like I have no control, but the results are much better. You also diagnosed me correctly with pulling from the top of the backswing. I think this might be why I lunge.

I think tonight I might try making all my steps smaller and see if that helps.
spr3wr
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by spr3wr »

pjape wrote:
it feels very weird and like I have no control, but the results are much better. You also diagnosed me correctly with pulling from the top of the backswing. I think this might be why I lunge.

I think tonight I might try making all my steps smaller and see if that helps.
The goal is to be as free as possible so not controlling the swing or being in control is a good thing. If you change your push-away your still going to pull down from the top of the swing (it's what you do). After you change your timing (work on that 1st, you can't change 2 things at one time) Just relax the grip pressure at the top of the swing and allow the ball to drop into the down swing.
None active - USBC Bronze level coach
Dick Ritger level 1 coach
2 300 games
1 800 series
High average 223
Coaching with pros in clinics since 2004