opposite sore shoulder

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

opposite sore shoulder

Post by ballspoint »

while trying to have my non bowling arm forward during the 4 steps i seem to have made it sore, what have i done for this to happen? have i moved it back too fast or...???
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
MWhite

Re: opposite sore shoulder

Post by MWhite »

ballspoint wrote:while trying to have my non bowling arm forward during the 4 steps i seem to have made it sore, what have i done for this to happen? have i moved it back too fast or...???
When you have your arm extended, is the thumb on that hand pointing up or down?

The act of pulling your arm back will stretch muscles differently based on the position of the hand.
ballspoint

Post by ballspoint »

MWhite wrote:
When you have your arm extended, is the thumb on that hand pointing up or down?

The act of pulling your arm back will stretch muscles differently based on the position of the hand.
Probably thumb up or level, should be thumb down? you think this may be the issue?
MWhite

Post by MWhite »

ballspoint wrote:
Probably thumb up or level, should be thumb down? you think this may be the issue?

It may be an issue.

The problem with taking a description of what you're doing, and giving you the definitive cause, is it would require that you gave a complete, and finely detailed description of what you're doing.

By the time you get to were you can provide such a detailed description, you can most likely diagnose the problem on your own.

That is why it's usually best to provide video.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

MWhite wrote:

It may be an issue.

The problem with taking a description of what you're doing, and giving you the definitive cause, is it would require that you gave a complete, and finely detailed description of what you're doing.

By the time you get to were you can provide such a detailed description, you can most likely diagnose the problem on your own.

That is why it's usually best to provide video.

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=XN0pKb0TBRs[/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
spr3wr
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by spr3wr »

Stand up and place your arm directly in front of you as you would during your bowling approach. Keep your balance hand thumb up or level. Now pretend to rotate your shoulders as if your rolling the ball keeping the thumb in the same position . Notice that the balance arm will move back so far then stop. If you force the arm back any farther it will pull the muscles and make that joint start to hurt. Now do the same with the thumb down notice how easier it is to move the hand behind the back (pain free) . The shoulder isn't designed to rotate with the thumb up as much as with the thumb down.

http://www.denverbowling.com/tips/tip-2 ... nceArm.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
None active - USBC Bronze level coach
Dick Ritger level 1 coach
2 300 games
1 800 series
High average 223
Coaching with pros in clinics since 2004
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

spr3wr wrote:Stand up and place your arm directly in front of you as you would during your bowling approach. Keep your balance hand thumb up or level. Now pretend to rotate your shoulders as if your rolling the ball keeping the thumb in the same position . Notice that the balance arm will move back so far then stop. If you force the arm back any farther it will pull the muscles and make that joint start to hurt. Now do the same with the thumb down notice how easier it is to move the hand behind the back (pain free) . The shoulder isn't designed to rotate with the thumb up as much as with the thumb down.

http://www.denverbowling.com/tips/tip-2 ... nceArm.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you think this helpful FOR ANY BOWLER, click on the green plus for that forum member.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
ballspoint

Post by ballspoint »

spr3wr wrote:Stand up and place your arm directly in front of you as you would during your bowling approach. Keep your balance hand thumb up or level. Now pretend to rotate your shoulders as if your rolling the ball keeping the thumb in the same position . Notice that the balance arm will move back so far then stop. If you force the arm back any farther it will pull the muscles and make that joint start to hurt. Now do the same with the thumb down notice how easier it is to move the hand behind the back (pain free) . The shoulder isn't designed to rotate with the thumb up as much as with the thumb down.

I just did what was advised and could feel the difference, i also tried it with my balance arm at my side then turned thumb down and could feel the muscles/ligaments/bone turn to take away the discomfort i was feeling. Thank you for your advice, was very helpful...green button clicked of course.
ballspoint

Post by ballspoint »

At coaching last night i mentioned the above suggestion, and i now have a drill to practise thumb down.