Because a goal here is to help bowlers

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Because a goal here is to help bowlers

Post by kajmk »

Because a goal here is to help bowlers,

I've copied and pasted this material from existing posts.
Trying to reach more people seeking help and to help.

Last night while watching bowling I overheard a lady bowler lamenting her problems making ten pins.
I watch this league as neighbors bowl in it. She was on the lane with the secretary and she said I should join the league since I'm always there.
I asked her what she did with her index finger when she attempted to convert the 10 pin.
As I suspected she spread it out. I suggested she hold in next to her middle finger and explained why.
I also drove home the point that every single pin spare only requires contact from the ball, no need to break the pin, just touch it, try softer. Of course there is more to it like trajectory, choice of surface.
Then there is the philosophy of to change release or not, that depends on bowler.
She was much appreciative while I'm relayed that every finger on your hand influences what the ball will do, pointed her to Ron Clifton's article Finger Dancing and his article archive 40+ strong; Richard Shockley's video's on YouTube, then added if she is really into learning, take a look at this forum and the wiki. She seemed genuinely interested in learning the whys and whens, somewhat rare.
Those who love to teach or help are always refreshed by the inquisitive mind.
As for that index finger move, 30 or so years ago I helped a teammate with that same tip and he has not missed many 10 pins since. As for the try softer, I helped a fellow at a state tournament on a pair we shared (since he lamented missing them and said he just could not make them). He tried softer that day and did not miss another one.
Bill Hall and Richard Shockley illustrated just how little force it takes to knock a single pin down.
Yes I know why some folks flame the ball, some reasons: Anger, Overcoming the wrong release for spares by speed ...

Two very cogent and pithy videos. Some people pay a lot of money and get a lot less information.
Granted 1:1 customized lessons from a quality coach such as Jim Merrell, or Mark Baker, or Bill Hall etc are by far the best, not everyone has access to that type of coach or the time. Some folks won't buy good books or videos.
Videos such as the 2 that follow should be shown at EVERY BLESSED BOWLING CENTER.
Better bowlers, happier bowlers, more repeat customers, more word of mouth, less people dropping out of the sport ...

Clone number 1

G'day mates.
While I was looking for something on YOUTUBE, I happened upon this video.

The Authors statement:
Published on Jan 22, 2015
This video is an instructional video on the proper technique and timing of the four and five step approach in Ten-Pin Bowling.

Within the video each step is examined and broken down to explain what is happening and the proper technique involved throughout.

Feel free to use this as a visual aid for your own game, or for any students you coach in the game. The goal of this video is to teach and inform, so please feel free to share as you see fit!

Thank you for watching and stay tuned for a lot of great coaching episodes coming in this featured playlist, Pin Pointers!

I am presently watching this.

See what you think. Be sure to offer comments to the creator.

Pin Pointers - The Bowling Approach and Timing - Four and Five Step

[youtube][/youtube]

Clone number 2

I stumbled upon this video tonight after revisiting some fine video by Jason Doust.

This video is by Ray Wong.
3722 views --- Now approaching 78,000 as of April 5th 2016)
7 months ago
It runs 15:32
My opinions -
It could be one of the most important quarter hours many bowlers could spend.

[youtube][/youtube]

In my opinion, this is a very fine piece of work and would benefit many beginning to intermediate level bowlers
This video deserves hundreds of thousands of view.

I think Ray has packed a lot of potency into barely over a quarter hour.

I'm very interested in what the readers of this forum think of Ray Wong's presentation.
Please consider watching it and offering your review and giving Ray some feedback.

As I said I think this is a fine piece of work. Technology can do so much for our sport.
Education is a big key. Ray's video educates.

Anyone know this man? If so, please extend my compliments. Kudos for a job well done.

Over 30,000 views as of Sept 5 2015
Ray Wong.JPG

Also check out.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Because a goal here is to help bowlers

Post by kajmk »

Mason Storm: Well, when I was kid. My father was a missionary. I spent the first 10 years of my life in China. There, I learned how to fight as you could imagine. I remember going to my martial arts teacher.

[he imitiates the teacher]
Mason Storm: He said, "Why you come to me" and I say, "Ah, to learn how to fight." And he's like, "Oh, so you wanna hurt people, but you wanna be great." I say, "Yeah, I wanna be great. "Then first learn how to heal people to be great, to hurt people is easy.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John