rolling over finger holes

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

naska
Preferred Company: Storm

rolling over finger holes

Post by naska »

Hi, i just started bowling in September of 2015. i quickly decided to bowl with two hands, as it seemed to be easier on a hip injury i got from playing tennis. Recently my average has skyrocketed and went from 155, to 187 in the last 10 games. i am starting to feel comfortable with the roll i am putting on the ball, and consistently getting to the pocket, but my oil track is causing some issues all of a sudden. I used to have a very high track, just next to or touching the left finger hole, and about 3-4 inches from the thumb hole. Since I have entered this rhythm it has changed though. My oil track is over the left finger hole, and even hits the RIGHT one, and also will be a 1/4 of an inch or even over my thumb hole. My concern is that now my ball will wiggle at the break point and cause me to hit light, and i may break my finger hole bridge. Does anyone know what may be causing this?

PS. I have recently been fighting keeping my second hand on the ball too long, but when I practice and really make sure I let go and roll up the back properly, it does not seem to change.

Thank you.

IQ Tour Fusion
400 rpm
19-20 mph
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: rolling over finger holes

Post by EricHartwell »

Welcome to BowlingChat

How is the ball layed out?
Where is the Pin?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out this link for information needed to give you good advice.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
gunso

Post by gunso »

I have had the same problem ever since I started taking two hands a little serious. All my balls track over MF and a couple of them track over the RF once or twice. Even have a yeti unleashed which somehow tracks way right of my finger holes. I've tried over ten pitches the last year and no matter what I tried it still rolled over the finger holes.

I've basically stopped worrying about it since it was starting to effect my enjoyment of the sport and the ball has usually flared off the finger holes before it hits the dry and hopefully it will get better the more I practice. I haven't had a single ball crack on me even though I've had this problem for over a year now. Even my plastic spare ball has endured the year even though it thumps all the way down the lane.
naska
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by naska »

Like I said, I just started and don't know much. I believe my layout is 80x5 3/8x65. Problem is because how my track has changed so has my pap has changed.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

naska wrote:Like I said, I just started and don't know much. I believe my layout is 80x5 3/8x65. Problem is because how my track has changed so has my pap has changed.
The track changed because of the change in your PAP.
65* VAL angle usually equates to pin down drillings, pin below the fingers. They are Not recommended for high track bowlers for the exact reason you are posting. It makes the ball track over the fingers. I would suggest trying to roll something Pin up. This will raise the bowtie and possibly get your track off your fingers. I'm sure you can find someone with a ball that has the pin above the fingers to let you give it a try.

The fact that you just started is the perfect time to get some lessons from your local proshop. It could be as simple as an obvious flaw in your mechanics. Another possibility is to post a video here in the Certified Coaching section. Only the Certified Coaches can comment in reply to your posts there.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a link explaining the video requirements. JMerrell has about the best coaching eye in the business.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand