Beginner, hook question

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

Northland73
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Beginner, hook question

Post by Northland73 »

Hey guys,
I do plan on getting a coach in the future, so don't blow me up just yet. I see a large number of bowlers bowl from the left dots, to the 6-10 board on the right, and after it breaks it rolls nicely into the pocket. From my recent experience i have been bowling from the further right dots, and rolling straighter down the lane till it breaks and rolls in. If i start left, the ball never really breaks back towards the pocket. Is this something i just have to accept as my style? Or am i going to need some release coaching?

Thanks
Ed
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Beginner, hook question

Post by EricHartwell »

Welcome to BowlingChat

Getting some coaching will give you opportunity to try and learn with the guidance of a trained eye.
If it does prove to be Not your game to crank it up and hook the lane you will have at least tried.
Your game will benefit either way.

Being a beginner you are a blank canvas, the sky is the limit. If you are determined to learn the game and practice to improve, with good coaching, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to hook the ball better than you do today.

Choosing the right ball is another factor in being able to hook the lanes with the big boys. A good coach will also be able to recommend a ball that will help you achieve your goals as well.

My learning curve (no pun intended) took several years, I did not go the way of lessons. In hindsight, I wish I would have. It would have helped me be more competitive earlier in my bowling career, and possibility even a better bowler today.

edit for spelling
Last edited by EricHartwell on February 27th, 2016, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Northland73
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Re: Beginner, hook question

Post by Northland73 »

Thanks Eric!