getting hand under the ball?

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

getting hand under the ball?

Post by ballspoint »

My coach is trying to get me to have my hand under the ball to help with not breaking my wrist and fingers below the equator. Any suggestions to help me with this please. I gave up the wrist support to help get more from the hand/wrist but i get lazy/forgetful at times without it. Cheers.
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
Nsane
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/16 - 7/8 up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13°
Axis Rotation: 55°
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Tenacity, Radical Tremendous
Medium Oil Ball: Guru mighty,
Light Oil Ball: Motiv venom cobra
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: getting hand under the ball?

Post by Nsane »

Mayby there are a lot of tricks or drills. But finaly just working hard on it will help to make it a part of your release. After using a brace some muscles are weak, so you have to work on it to make it more powerfull to keep your hand under/behind the ball. This only comes by training it. To support the strengthen of the forearm muscles you can use free weights and forearm exercises also.
Swing the ball with straight wrist in front of a mirror and observe yourself. Stay straight with the wrist during all swings. over and over. Be patient!
Later you cup the wrist befor theoretical release (do not release) and bring it in the backswing back to straight again. Over and over.
If you have no further problems to make this try it @ the lanes. But now go into release with the cupped wrist. Important!!!! make sure that you have the wrist "straight" during release not cupped.
Go from cupped to straight during release to make sure to have a good tilt and rotation.
Again it will need a lot of work and patient to develope it well.

Good luck
Thomas
Ducati what else?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nice people press +
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

ballspoint wrote:My coach is trying to get me to have my hand under the ball to help with not breaking my wrist and fingers below (above?) the equator. Any suggestions to help me with this please. I gave up the wrist support to help get more from the hand/wrist but i get lazy/forgetful at times without it. Cheers.
You will need to make sure you have a long flat spot which will give you time when the ball is swinging through parallel with the lane to get your hand under it without excessive muscling. The other thing to avoid is too steep a swing on the down swing, as this will add weight to the ball at the bottom and give you a smaller window to 'catch it' or get your hand under the ball prior to the release.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... _Flat_spot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It should not be so much a strength issue but a timing issue, and as Nsane mentioned, lots of practice is required to get it consistent.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by ads »

deanchamp wrote:
You will need to make sure you have a long flat spot which will give you time when the ball is swinging through parallel with the lane to get your hand under it without excessive muscling. The other thing to avoid is too steep a swing on the down swing, as this will add weight to the ball at the bottom and give you a smaller window to 'catch it' or get your hand under the ball prior to the release.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... _Flat_spot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It should not be so much a strength issue but a timing issue, and as Nsane mentioned, lots of practice is required to get it consistent.
Dean pointed out a key.

Prolong your slide and/or knee continuation will give a longer flat spot.
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Timing and flatspot are a must. You can also use a shot put ball to practice your release in the couch or the yard.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by ballspoint »

Well just finished league trying the flat spot which worked wonders. That helped the timing issue as well.
Didn't try going from cupped to straight yet, but its planned.
Bowled 216 av over six games tonight. Best for awhile.

Thanks for the replies to my query, helped heaps.
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
ads

Post by ads »

deanchamp wrote:

Hi Dean, what does "...to avoid is too steep a swing on the down swing..." mean?
Adrian
Right handed
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by deanchamp »

ads wrote:Hi Dean, what does "...to avoid is too steep a swing on the down swing..." mean?
Pretty much what it says, if the shape of the downswing is more vertical (steeper) then it can be harder to create a flat spot as the ball will be heading downwards toward the approach, causing a more rapid change of direction (sharper angle) at the bottom of the swing. Compare the 1st and 2nd of Jim's pics in the wiki flat spot article as a basic example. I hope that makes sense.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BTM contributor
ads

Post by ads »

deanchamp wrote:
Pretty much what it says, if the shape of the downswing is more vertical (steeper) then it can be harder to create a flat spot as the ball will be heading downwards toward the approach, causing a more rapid change of direction (sharper angle) at the bottom of the swing. Compare the 1st and 2nd of Jim's pics in the wiki flat spot article as a basic example. I hope that makes sense.
Very clear. What do you think the best way to avoid it?
Adrian
Right handed
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by deanchamp »

ads wrote:
Very clear. What do you think the best way to avoid it?
Keeping your upper body stable from the pivot step to the release, letting the ball swing your arm as it drops (not muscling the downswing), and not leading the downswing with the shoulder.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BTM contributor
ads

Post by ads »

deanchamp wrote:
Keeping your upper body stable from the pivot step to the release, letting the ball swing your arm as it drops (not muscling the downswing), and not leading the downswing with the shoulder.

Thanks.

Recently, the ball slipped out of my hand sooner than I want and bumped onto the lane. Ball speed and rev decreased. Tried a few adjustments. Sometime worked and sometime didn't until I realized that I straightened my knee too soon at the end of the pivot step.

This does not happen when practice but during competition, the nervous takes control.
Adrian
Right handed
ChrisTan
Positive Axis Point: TBD soon
Speed: TBD soon
Axis Tilt: TBD
Axis Rotation: TBD

Post by ChrisTan »

ads wrote:
Can you please explain ? You mean straightened your RIGHT KNEE (RH Bowler) after your slide ?
Chris
ads

Post by ads »

ChrisTan wrote:
Can you please explain ? You mean straightened your RIGHT KNEE (RH Bowler) after your slide ?

It is my left knee, not the pivot step, that is straightened too soon and bring up my upper body resulting a V shape swing and destroy the flat spot.
Adrian
Right handed