Too much forward tilt at foul line

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

ChrisTan
Positive Axis Point: TBD soon
Speed: TBD soon
Axis Tilt: TBD
Axis Rotation: TBD

Too much forward tilt at foul line

Post by ChrisTan »

Dear all,

Lately i had a good improvement in terms of timing of my release. I now can properly feel my hand behind the ball, and ball position nicely just at my hip when going into slide. But more often than not, i find myself having too much forward tilt at the moment of release. I find my head/chin over my sliding feet. This, ive been told, causes me to lose leverage which in turn causes me to try to muscle the ball down the lane instead of letting it roll off my hand.

Any idea or things i can try to maintain not too much forward tilt ?
Chris
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Re: Too much forward tilt at foul line

Post by stevespo »

I'm not a coach, but I also occasionally end up with my head/shoulders too far forward. You're right that you lose a lot of leverage, but I also lose a lot of accuracy - particularly on spare shooting.

What has been effective for me, is starting out more upright in my setup. Slowing down my feet and focusing on a strong pivot/power step, deeper knee bend and smooth slide, with continuation. Get low (with center of gravity) and post every shot. Keep the trail foot close to, or on the approach after the pivot step. Don't tug the ball downward, and follow through.

My teammates will remind me when my trail leg starts popping up, or if I start hopping because I'm trying to muscle the ball. I don't notice it if I'm still striking, but it's good to correct as soon as it starts to happen.

I guess the other thing I'll mention is being aware of the Mark Baker timing spot. Having the ball at it's peak in the backswing as you make your pivot step, and then arm/ball being (effectively) horizontal as you begin your slide. I want the feeling that I'm into the slide and waiting for the ball to catch up (ever so slightly). You have to be patient and not force things.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
ChrisTan
Positive Axis Point: TBD soon
Speed: TBD soon
Axis Tilt: TBD
Axis Rotation: TBD

Re: Too much forward tilt at foul line

Post by ChrisTan »

Hi Steve!

Thank you for your insight. I have tried standing more upright at address, but as I strt my back swing, my left hand points forward and down shoulder rotate and my upper body tilt forward as my ball reaches peak of the swing. I've been told that abruptly straightening my upper body at release will cause other problems. I have watched plenty of YouTube and every pro bowler as a very very stable upper body that maintains it's posture from start to finish. That is what I'm striving for.

Will have videos when I get time for it. Thank you
Chris