Need som help on best method to get better

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

Matttwtcis

Need som help on best method to get better

Post by Matttwtcis »

A little about me- I'm in my early 30s, 6'2" , 260 and athletic and don't bowl too much. Recently started bowling almost every weekend. I wouldn't know for sure what my average is. Each game is different and between 130 and 160. I was recently asked to bowl in a league. I've only ever bowled with house equipment and I was thinking about getting my own stuff (ball and shoes).

For years due to not knowing or being taught how to properly grip a ball, I bowl with just my fingers in the ball. I have never really liked the feeling of having my thumb in the ball but I see that I am really inconsistent in releasing the ball at the same spot causing bad shots.

So my questions are
Should I just practice and get to learn how to use my thumb using house equipment?
Go to one of the local lanes and take some lessons before buying a ball?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Need som help on best method to get better

Post by TonyPR »

Step 1 buy a plastic ball and have it fit by an IBPSIA certified pro shop, make sure it's the proper weight. If you are going to use your thumb be sure to adjust your fit with tape, no naked thumbholes.
Step 2 buy some shoes that fit comfortably
Step 3 find a good reputable coach that wil teach you the "fundamentals". Posting your shot, a smooth flowing footwork, a swing led by gravity.
Step 4 practice what your coach teaches you 2-3 times a week, 3 games - 1 hr is fine. Video yourself so you can see your progress.

Welcome to bowling and beware it's addictive nature...
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

The tips Tony states are good, but I would put them in a different order. If you want to get better and prepare for league competition, here is what I would do:

1. Find a reputable coach and have him watch you bowl, even with a house ball. A good coach should be able to determine what kind of ball would best suit your style of bowling.

2. Find a reputable pro shop, probably off the suggestion of the coach. Through interaction between the coach and pro shop, they will be able to get you properly fitted for your ball. They will also be able to determine the best shoe options for you along with any other ancillary equipment you may need. However, don't buy everything. Your should only need a bag, towel, perhaps a rosin/grip bag and that is all for starters.

3. Last and not least, have fun. Don't get intimidated by other bowlers. You might see great bowlers in your league. Realize it takes a lot of time and practice to become good at this game. If you eventually desire to become a really good bowler, learn and be coachable. Your coach will be able to determine intermediate goals for you to achieve along the way.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!!!
pjape

Post by pjape »

Speaking from experience, I also highly recommend you get some professional instruction while you're still a beginner. When I took up the sport in 1992, I got pretty much obsessed with it and practiced all the time, especially over the summer when my house had unlimited free open bowling. Unfortunately, I had little instruction and ended up developing some bad habits that really cost me in the long run. A good coach can spot and correct things before they become ingrained in your game.
spr3wr
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by spr3wr »

1) Find a good coach. Ask the front desk and ask other good bowlers.

2) With the help from your coach find a good proshop and get a good fitting ball. Can't out coach a bad fit.

3) Create a plan with your coach and practice ,practice and practice some more.

4) Read, watch, ask, and listen as much as you can.
Your starting at the right place, here at bowlingchat.net . Go to http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... =Main_Page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and read , ask, watch and learn.
Watch youtube videos, there is a few gold level coaches giving great tips . Our own Mo Pinel , Joe slowinski ,Del Warren and Richard Shockley to name a few.
Some bowling podcasts are out there . above 180 is one of them.
None active - USBC Bronze level coach
Dick Ritger level 1 coach
2 300 games
1 800 series
High average 223
Coaching with pros in clinics since 2004
russelldean
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 up 1/4
Speed: 20
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by russelldean »

A top notch pro shop operator should serve as both. If he/she does not suggest watching you bowl before talking equipment, go somewhere else.
Please click the Green Button, If i have been helpful..
boybrowny

Post by boybrowny »

1. Coach
2. Shoes
3. Ball
4. Practice bowling spares

Good luck :)
Australia & Asian zone bowler
350-450 (370 "A" game) rpm
30 (+/- 10) at
60 (+/- 15) ar
18 (+/- 2) mph
5", 1/4" pap

Here to learn as much as I can...

http://www.trybowling.com
http://www.high5bowling.com
Graaille

Post by Graaille »

Looking at your profile, nothing says where you live. If you share, perhaps we can find a good coach within reasonable distance that you could go see.
Back into Blogging: http://lifeasjasonharris.blogspot.com/ 80% Bowling, 100% me. (oh hold while working on several other projects -- sorry)

The Gathering 2k16, Winston Salem, NC, July 29-31. Just ask me for more info.
bowlingmate
Preferred Company: Dexter

Post by bowlingmate »

Visit http://mybowlingmate.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and go through the articles.
You will find information about best and cheap bowling shoes, tips to improve your bowling performance and many more.
Trying to improve my bowling skills and take my game to the next level.
http://mybowlingmate.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Graaille wrote:Looking at your profile, nothing says where you live. If you share, perhaps we can find a good coach within reasonable distance that you could go see.
Welcome to the forum Matt (?)

Graaille's advice applies to us all: we should all list our locations ESPECIALLY if we want to get good recommendations on instruction, pro shop gurus, etc. It can also give you the option of some local networking. I don't know about ANYONE else but it is extremely difficult for me to find anyone to engage in serious conversation about the sport of bowling. This curtains the opportunity to LEARN and to SHARE. Lacking those opportunities hurt us all and they damage the state of the game, in my opinion.

I like to encourage people to include a first name and a location in there signature. The profile allows for a location, see my picture on the left.

We all need to learn. This forum is top notch, but nothing will ever compare to engaging good sources face to face. Cyber communication is only electronic carrier pigeon. I say that because you are getting vignettes.

Keep in mind, that every top notch coach I am aware of uses video camera to analyze. That SHORTENS the curve for them and you.

You have taken the first step to improvement by recognizing the need to improve.
The sooner you get good instruction, the fewer bad habits and misconceptions you will have to undo.

You don't have to be a poster boy for bowling to place a video in the Certified Coaches Forum. The following link is to the article on video capture as found on the bowlingchat wiki. Use the wiki as a resource, but realize a few things, build your game with solid fundamentals keeping the cart behind the course; few people know exactly what they look like throughout their approach; perception of a physical act is delayed, that is we sense and feel it just a bit after it has happened; ALWAYS think and express things in a positive fashion when you are planning to do something or critiquing yourself.
Example, for the next 30 seconds DO NOT think of a pink elephant. Try it, it's like telling yourself don't tug the shot ...

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John