So how important is sliding?

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

So how important is sliding?

Post by TonyPR »

Just wondering about the pros and cons of sliding vs planting. I am a planter and luckily my timing seems to be reasonably good, I know sliding gives you more margin for error. Just wanted to know what are your thoughts on sliding vs planting. One thing as a planter I don't have to worry about sticking on the approach, changing the soles of my shoes to accomodate for a slippery or sticky approach, nor do I have to worry about stepping on water or sweat... What are your thoughts?
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: So how important is sliding?

Post by bowl1820 »

It makes me think of the sports science video of Sean Rash, where they tell how he experiences 1600 lbs.of force on his knee during his slide. An imagining a planters knee experiencing that much force as it comes to a sudden dead stop and the affect it will have over time.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Love that science video of Rash, it never says at what time exactly does it experience the 1,600 lbs, I am guessing probably when the slide stops and just before the knee continuation helps distribute it... So wouldn't it be more or less the same time for planters?
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

Remember, force is mass x acceleration (or in this case, negative acceleration or deceleration). Deceleration is determined by the time it takes to decrease speed to zero at the foul line. If you take a long time to slow down (long slide) then your deceleration is small. If you stop suddenly (little to no slide) your deceleration is large. Mass is for the most part constant. So the only effect the bowler has on the force applied is the time it takes to decelerate to zero velocity.
deadlyaim1
Preferred Company: Mo Rich

Post by deadlyaim1 »

TonyPR wrote:One thing as a planter I don't have to worry about sticking on the approach, changing the soles of my shoes to accomodate for a slippery or sticky approach, nor do I have to worry about stepping on water or sweat... What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are simple. 99% bowlers slide, 1%plant. It's been this way over many decades. Slide must have something planters missed.

I used to be a planter. Planter and a hopper. Luckily, not anymore. Practiced at home, without a ball, for entire moth to come out of hop, then, planting. Feel less pressure on my knee, that's for sure.

And as far as Shaun Rash is concerned. PBA Tour never saw more than 500 entries ever in any tournament. Yet millions go to bowling each year. Out of 400 or so, Michael Haugen Jr plants. Roth planted, and may be a dozen or so more are/were planters over 50 years. Everyone else on PBA Tour slides. Michael Haugen Jr has may be 3 titles. Apart from Roth, not many had more than a couple titles.

I read somewhere that if one wants to be successful, one has to find out what successful people do, and try to do that, in order to be successful.

99.9% of PBA players who make TV Finals slide, so I am trying to slide now. Days of my planting are gone now.

Having said all that. Bowling is a sport where one needs to be relaxed and enjoy. If you're comfortable planting, plant by all means and ignore what I just said before this last para.
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by ads »

Not sure if this anaolgy is correct.

A planter hits the brake hard and the car stops immediately. The passenger (yout body and the ball) will experience a sudden thrust.

A slider will stop the car more gradually. More controllable.
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Intuitively and certainly intuition can be wrong, it seems sliding might mask and be more forgiving for other areas of execution.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

Most planters have very little knee continuation and when viewed from the side their swing shape is circular.

Those who slide tend to have more knee continuation and the swing shape is elliptical.

Length of slide plus knee continuation creates an elliptical shaped swing, which creates a larger window for the timing of the release.

A circular swing has a much narrow window for the release......as a circular arc only has a small tangent point at the bottom.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Yes Jim, and that advantage of having a good flat spot makes transfering power to the ball much easier than with a circular swing far outweights the advantage of not having to care about your shoe sole. One thing I did this summer that I am proud of is that I learned to slide, took a lot of 1 step drills but if I could do it anybody can.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

More on the merits of a Flat spot ...

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4005&hilit=Wiseman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Related ...
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7117&p=56294&hilit=wiseman#p56294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John