Need Advice

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

pjape

Need Advice

Post by pjape »

After shooting a whopping 506 on Thursday night, I knew it was time to get out the video camera again. I did so this afternoon and need some feedback on a few things.

My timing looked pretty good, using Mark Baker's timing spot. I figured out what I was doing wrong on Thursday night and fixed it. When I taped from behind; my footwork, with the exception of the slide, was also good.

The three things that weren't good were:

1. My slide--When I slide I don't get my sliding foot under my head; it goes straight forward. Of course, this causes too much space in between the ball and the foot.
2. Spine tilt--Although my spine tilt is good at the start of the slide, as I'm sliding I let the spine angle increase way too much. At the release of the ball, my head is too far in front of my knees. I don't know if this is just a bad habit or because of bad knees.
3. Rev rate--Although I had the camera too far away to clearly see the tape on the ball, I think I'm pretty close to an accurate measurement of a 200 rev rate. This is the same measurement that Jim King gave me from the video I sent him several years ago (buildanarsenal.com).

So, will the first two faults I mentioned reduce my rev rate? My ball speed is 15 to 15.5 off the hand, so I should be around 300, not 200. I also noticed on my video that my fingers are above the equator at release. They are not on top of the ball, but they are definitely above the equator. Is the solution for that just to cup a bit more? The only issue I have with this is it tends to make my swing more muscled and slows down my ball speed.

Thanks!
russelldean
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 up 1/4
Speed: 20
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Re: Need Advice

Post by russelldean »

Post a video here, for one of the coaching experts to see.
Please click the Green Button, If i have been helpful..
pjape

Post by pjape »

russelldean wrote:Post a video here, for one of the coaching experts to see.
I would have done this ages ago, except my video camera is not able to upload to the computer.

I talked to the pro-shop guy at my house about possibly re-drilling my stuff. I need to see if he still has BowlersMap. If so, I think I'll have him tape me, not only for accurate specs, but so I can post it here.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Pjape, (name?)
Here's some software recommendations from Jim Merrell that will allow you to at least analyze yourself or transfer to someone who CAN upload to YouTube. It's also good for creating an archive of you as you progress and to help solve problems, if you can slow motion and stop action, that may clarify things.

Look at Jim's post, there is one that accepts directly from a video cam

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11049&hilit=software" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck and take care.

No pictures, blind men and the elephant.
Guessing diagnosis is like guessing pitches.
If all it took was a matrix of symptoms, we would all be like Jim. Oh I wish it could be so. No I don't, what would life be without special people and their unique talents, I let my envy speak via that wish.
There are possibilities and conjectural probabilities.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
pjape

Post by pjape »

kajmk wrote:Pjape, (name?)
Here's some software recommendations from Jim Merrell that will allow you to at least analyze yourself or transfer to someone who CAN upload to YouTube. It's also good for creating an archive of you as you progress and to help solve problems, if you can slow motion and stop action, that may clarify things.

Look at Jim's post, there is one that accepts directly from a video cam

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11049&hilit=software" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck and take care.

No pictures, blind men and the elephant.
Guessing diagnosis is like guessing pitches.
If all it took was a matrix of symptoms, we would all be like Jim. Oh I wish it could be so. No I don't, what would life be without special people and their unique talents, I let my envy speak via that wish.
There are possibilities and conjectural probabilities.
Thanks John. I just sent an email to my pro shop guy to see if he still has BowlersMap. If so, I'm going to have myself taped. This way I can get my stats and be able to post a video online.

BTW, the name's Tim.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Tim, you might consider keeping an archive of yourself, that can be a way to tract progress or regress (slump busting).
Just baseball coaches use video for multiple reasons so can bowlers.
Pitchers strides, arm slots, release points, tipping pitches, and so forth.

I think it's good to call people by name, so I appreciate you sharing yours.

Good luck Tim.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
russelldean
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 up 1/4
Speed: 20
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by russelldean »

Tim,
Todays modern cell phones work great for starters. If you don't have one, surely some one at the center does. Ask them to simply email you the video. Then you can save to your computer, and upload here.
Good luck with your game.... :mrgreen:
Please click the Green Button, If i have been helpful..