Need guidance for two friends

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Need guidance for two friends

Post by JJakobsen »

Hi! I am helping out a bit with the coaching. Well, not the coaching per se, as I am no coach (yet), but I can spot some errors.

Bowler M is 17, female, averaging somewhere below 150, and has struggled with releasing the ball downwards for a long time. I took a quick video of her with my phone, and at 60fps I could easily see how it could happen: She bends her elbow at the top of the swing, then she straighten it on the way down, it is straight when the downswing is at 45 degrees from horizontal. My theory is that this early bending and straightening jerks the ball of prematurely regardless of timing, especially being like most females having issues with wrist strength to go anywhere close to under the ball with the hand.

Bowler S is 15, female, averaging around 160, and she had almost no hook for the first 2 years. The last two, she has increased a lot. But her axis rotation was 90 degrees. Granted, if she was stuck at 90 it could for most cases be drilled away with earlier transitioning balls for heavier patterns, but now, she has gone beyond 90 degrees.

She was sure it was just her release, her father, who doesn't bowl, he just is her father, supporter and local club chairman, told her that her approach was looking off. He couldn't pinpoint what was wring, and she being 15, she knew better and told him off. Yesterday I took my GoPro and looked at a shot from the side. She got a regular 4-step approach (which I would love to change), and she starts the ball around 0.2 seconds before she starts walking. When she plants her heel on her 3rd step, her backswing is still on its way up. So when she gets to the finishline and the slide is over, she waits around 0.1-0.15 seconds before the ball is off the thumb (was a bit blurry video though), so she deviates a lot through the approach.

Just so you know, I will get some videos and post here later, but I will try to get a prelim answer so I can get atleast something to go by.

Bowler M I have no clue what I can do with, but Bowler S I am thinking she should check her approach and step length, then pendulum, 2-step and 3-step approach.

Cheers for all input!
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Need guidance for two friends

Post by kajmk »

Two things to check first, the grip and the ball weight.
The grip should be checked by a professional.
An improper fit can foster improper execution and habits.
A ball that is too light or too heavy can do the same. These components can help or hurt execution.
These ladies have the additional variable of growth given their youth. Grip check is something all bowlers should have reviewed periodically as things can change.

Rule out grip and weight issues first as they can start chain reactions you do not want.

Reference -
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11330&p=87915&hilit ... ano#p87915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for diagnosis sight unseen, recall the 6 blind men and the elephant.
If you do submit video, check the wiki article on Video Capture
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Invite the young ladies to join the forum or at least peruse it.
A good start would be recent posts on the mental game, though many youngsters want to skip the most important things first.

Remind them of the punch line to the joke "how does one eat an elephant"

Addition words of wisdom
http://www.twainquotes.com/Father.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ideally, they young woman would benefit from good professional coaching 1:1
The younger they learn good technique the better as habits take time to change.

I mentioned chain reactions.
Once you know the fit and weight is proper.
Consider this
Here's a short tip from Randy Stoughton, it's geared towards women, but really it's good for men too.
He reminds us of the importance of a good start, also note the mention of footwork.

[youtube][/youtube]

I know all of this is boring stuff.
After you rule out ball fit and weight, create a video set using the wiki guidelines, post them on Certified Coaching forum, ask Jim for a review.

Take care.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Re: Need guidance for two friends

Post by JJakobsen »

They both had their span and weight checked not too long ago, late June/early July. Same issues back then as now.

Will check the video thing when I get time, I work at the alley so it often happens that I can't tape them but I can help a bit.

Might be next week sometime, will get back!

Btw agree that timing and footwork probably is the culprit, a coach here said that too when she got a video for him to watch.
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!