Dealing with competition anxiety

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

GBuck

Dealing with competition anxiety

Post by GBuck »

I'm trying to get back into competitive leagues and occasional tournaments. Have been working on my physical game, but the one thing holding me back is being anxious before competition. What I've noticed consistently (especially today), is that my hands get cold and clammy when I bowled league and especially when I go to a tournament. This messes with my grip, causes me to squeeze and hold on to the ball too long. When I'm relaxed, hands are warm and dry and release is good. How can I overcome this so I can give myself the best chance to be successful?
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Re: Dealing with competition anxiety

Post by stevespo »

With the summer heat, I have issues with hand perspiration and seasonal allergies, which has been diagnosed as Dyshidrotic Eczema. Not a big deal, but annoying. Claritin helps with the allergies/eczema and I use a rosin bag while bowling to help with gripping issues. Luckily, by keeping the hands dry I rarely ever miscue with my release. I've also worked extensively on my span, pitches and fit (ie. oval thumb with tape) and it has all helped with the confidence to make shots.

A certain amount of anxiety is normal and healthy, but if it's negatively impacting your success you should deal with the physical symptoms and also address the mental game as well. Two excellent books are "The Inner Game of Tennis" by W. Timothy Gallwey, and "Focused For Bowling" by Dean Hinitz. These are both "classics", excellent for providing strategies for improving performance and dealing with performance based stress and anxiety. Techniques such as breathing, visualization, routine, and intent may be very helpful to you.

I've noticed that the pros often have a small portable (battery operated) fan at their chair. I've also seen them at tournaments. Drink plenty of fluids and stay hydrated. Wear comfortable clothing to help manage your overall comfort level. There's probably a feedback loop going on, so helping to manage one or the other might just help with both.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by ads »

You may wish to read this

Bowling : the handbook of bowling psychology / Eric S. Lasser, Fred Borden, Jeri Edwards.

Self-talk and deep breathing are useful tools.
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
walterp
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over, 5/8 up
Speed: 16 Foul line.
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Rotogrip X1 RST
Medium Oil Ball: Nuclear Cell
Light Oil Ball: Fast Pitch polished with slip agent
Preferred Company: Storm/Rotogrip/Global 900

Post by walterp »

GBuck wrote:I'm trying to get back into competitive leagues and occasional tournaments. Have been working on my physical game, but the one thing holding me back is being anxious before competition. What I've noticed consistently (especially today), is that my hands get cold and clammy when I bowled league and especially when I go to a tournament. This messes with my grip, causes me to squeeze and hold on to the ball too long. When I'm relaxed, hands are warm and dry and release is good. How can I overcome this so I can give myself the best chance to be successful?
If you're throwing the ball in practice, then I would say bowl for score like you're practicing, and practice like you're bowling for score. There are two ways to look at this. Either all shots are equally important, or no one shot is more important than any other shot.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BowlU 1 star certified coach
Ritger Level 3 coach
IBPSIA certified Technician
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

I was at a presentation by Dr Dean at a USBC seminar years ago.
He is truly a master.

I just trolled for a few youtubes.
Do read the suggested books, but here are a few videos ...

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

And then you can just be like me

[youtube][/youtube]

Cheers.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John