Is lowering your tilt a good thing ?

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

armadillosam
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 over, 3/8 up
Speed: 13.88 pindeck
Rev Rate: 240
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45-5
Preferred Company: any

Is lowering your tilt a good thing ?

Post by armadillosam »

Have been working on staying behind the ball more and working the inside of the ball. Checked my pap and tilt the other day for new ball layout. I have went from 4 over / 1 up to 4 3/4 over and 1/4 up, on pap, and lowered tilt from 17 to 13 degrees. Not sure of rotation change, have not checked it yet. Is this a move in the right direction??

Thanks,

Wendall
righthanded
pap 4 over, 1 up
rot 45-55
tilt 17
rpm 215-245
speed 14.8 at pins
J_w73
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up
Speed: 17 mph
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

Re: Is lowering your tilt a good thing ?

Post by J_w73 »

Check out this chart. I don't think there is anything wrong with 17 degrees, but I would not go any lower than 13. I used to be under 10 degrees and I found it was very difficult to get any ball down the lane and balls would always roll out unless I put a ton of side rotation on the ball. This would also cause a very angular motion with a lot of over under reaction. I worked on my grip and release to get up to 17 degrees.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... tchart.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Is lowering your tilt a good thing ?

Post by kajmk »

Wendall.
Tilt is one variable in the equation, it works in concert with the other variables of the individual bowler, such as: Axis Rotation, Ball Speed, RPM to Speed Ratio.
Different mixtures work, and of course the bowling environment is a factor that must be dealt with.
The goal of course is for the ball to go through the three phases of ball motion and arrive at the
OPTIMUM time.
There have been many topics posted that have good information and references.
Here is one, note the references (links) by forum member triplicate
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5115&p=40842&hilit=falgren#p40842" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a quote by Maestro Mo Pinel !! No fluff, no filler, just facts, just Mo!
Mo wrote: The answer is quite simple. Once the ball reaches the roll phase where axis rotation = axis tilt, the ball will no longer hook, the entry angle will remain the same, and the ball is in a pure forward roll. Even though rotation and tilt are equal, they will be > 0* for a semi-roller. The ball will hit equally hard until the rotation and tilt = 0*. Once they equal 0*, the ball is truly "rolled out". Those facts are recognized and accepted by the knowledgeable, educated people who deal with ball motion. The term "hooked-out" refers to a ball with equal amounts of rotation and tilt, but that has not yet reached 0*

Finis!
The Wiki is a Cave Of Wonders, and you don't have to worry about only touching the lamp.

[youtube][/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John