Elbow Hyperextension

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

TrashHeap
Preferred Company: Columbia300

Elbow Hyperextension

Post by TrashHeap »

High School practice has started up. I noticed a young bowler that on the push way hyperextension of the elbow occurs (over straightening or bending the wrong way). The bowler has no injury or pain, however, it seems this could be a potential problem down the road for them.
justhere4thefood
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Re: Elbow Hyperextension

Post by justhere4thefood »

TrashHeap wrote:High School practice has started up. I noticed a young bowler that on the push way hyperextension of the elbow occurs (over straightening or bending the wrong way). The bowler has no injury or pain, however, it seems this could be a potential problem down the road for them.
Do you have a question?

Without video it is very difficult to determine if what you are seeing is a problem. Mark Baker preaches watching for excessive shoulder movement and checking 'the timing spot.' You should start there.

Sometimes people who are small in stature must push the ball away to get the ball going.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Have you discussed your concerns with a parent or guardian?
I'm not a doctor but it would seem that some folks range of motion might be outside a layman's perception of "normal'.
Your concern is normal, but it would seem you need to ascertain what is normal for this child.
The child's parent/guardian may be able to allay your concerns or follow up and get a medical opinion.

Let us know what you find out.
Take care.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
TrashHeap

Post by TrashHeap »

I will discuss with parents. It was a concern on my part, I don't want the kid to get hurt.

I just wonder if any of you came across bowlers that do this. I know they make elbow supports that can prevent this movement.

Sorry, I will not post a video of any kid on here (or any site). Even if I received permission from parents, I still would not do it.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

TrashHeap wrote:I will discuss with parents. It was a concern on my part, I don't want the kid to get hurt.

I just wonder if any of you came across bowlers that do this. I know they make elbow supports that can prevent this movement.

Sorry, I will not post a video of any kid on here (or any site). Even if I received permission from parents, I still would not do it.
Your concern is justified and conscientious. Since most of the readers are not medical professionals, at best our knowledge would be narrow in scope, couple the possibility that this might be that persons physiology, we need to consult those in the know.

I'm thinking that if I saw something of concern, I'd immediately speak with the athlete about your concerns.

Some folks are more loosely wired or the converse, but thats something best verified with a professional.
Humans are not all cast out of the exact same mold.

By all means, please let us know what you find out as that information might help others as well.

Take care.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
TrashHeap

Post by TrashHeap »

Well I discussed things (parents and athlete). Unfortunately I have nothing to report back. There is no known injury in the past. The athlete is not having issues throwing the ball. Sorry for lack of info.

It is definitely bizarre watch this athlete throw. On video in slow motion it looks crazy. Top of back swing and the elbow is point down. It looks like it should hurt.