Son struggles away from house shots - cites no or lost carry

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

luvtowatchmyson
Preferred Company: brunswick

Son struggles away from house shots - cites no or lost carry

Post by luvtowatchmyson »

Hi Jim, thank you for your effort and consideration. I live in Los Angeles and wish to find a coach for my son, Matthew. I am considering a book as a first option (True Bowler Adjustments by G. Oatis, Game Changer by Mark Baker, Essentials of Bowling by S. Felege). I once paid for a lesson from M Baker for Matt but Baker struck me as a lesson giver, not a coach. Some say G. Oatis book is poorly written and hard to glean information from. I don't know the cause but my son always has the same complaint when he doesn't do well...NO CARRY or LOST CARRY. He has numerous 300 games and 5 or 6 800s. He dominates house and modified house shots but scratch tournaments and regionals seem to evade him. He did finish 4th in the non-champions tournament at south point in april. He was 52nd after 3 games but after an 8th game 279, he finished 16th and ended up in match play. Very thrilling! Please advise. Or is there an option of speaking to someone far away from our area? Thank you sir. My email is hulksmash1250@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you or an associate.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Son struggles away from house shots - cites no or lost c

Post by JMerrell »

The dominant characteristic of ball motion is when and where the ball loses ball speed during its path down the lane.

No carry or loss of carry………ball not losing speed at the proper time. Could be from playing the wrong part of lane or using the wrong ball.
Playing the right part of the lane……determined by lane pattern and lane topography. Experience and paying attention to those who are scoring is best education. If you are in the same part of the lane as those who are scoring but not striking enough, then you are probably using the wrong ball.
Using the wrong ball……..could be layout, surface preparation or choice of cover stock.
Scoring on the typical house shot is a not a barometer of ability. All the tournaments I am involved in run some type of sport shot. Sport shots were developed to help identify the better bowler.

My suggestions:
1) Post a side and rear video in the Certified Coaching Forum.
2) Post his bowler DNA…..Ball speed, rev rate, axis tilt and axis rotation in the Ball and Layout Advice Forum.
3) As far as information on all aspects of the game, check out the WIKI.

This information will give us some direction to help him match up more often.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Son struggles away from house shots - cites no or lost c

Post by kajmk »

I had intended to reply this morning but I was on Kindle and the interface with the forum can at times be difficult.
I'll just throw in the fact that you most likely realize.
Jim will certainly provide skilled analysis.
Be sure to let your bowling buddies know about this forum.

House shots are constructed to forgive our bowling sins.
The insidious thing is that they MASK our inconsistencies.
The tougher shots demand more consistency and yes quality.
House shots are like training wheels on a bicycle, for a bowler to develop, they need progressive levels of challenge.

Ideally, once a bowler has hone his technique you want to be able to view many pictures of that bowler bowling and not see any noticeable differences assuming that each picture was of that bowler trying to do the same thing.

Jim and all quality instructors will help a student throw their best shot more often (paraphrasing Mark Baker - Does Walter Ray have the best physical game? MAybe not but he does throw is best shot more often than most)

Bowling is like launching missiles, without precision results are dubious.

Take a few minutes and listen to Coach Shockleys comments on Bowlers accuracy based on data compiled during years of work for Kegel. Also listen for the shots thrown by Walter Ray.
The title pertains to drilling, but the most salient and cogent point is on bowlers accuracy by average clusters. This may be an eye opener for you.

[youtube][/youtube]

What I want for any bowler is what they want for themselves and their level of satisfaction.

I once threw a good shot ...
The I spent the rest of my time trying to repeat it. :lol:

Point is your son is young and has time on his side.
The mental side is a huge part of success in any endeavor, attitude is a big part.

The tougher the shot, the more you feel like you are rolling the ball atop an A frame roof, the easier the more you feel like you are bowling into a funnel.
The A frame analogy is based on PBA bowler Dick Allen talking about the US Open Shot I believe.

Caveat - permission needed from lane management.
Part of development and training should involve physical objects on the lane along an intended line.
The object being to hit those targets - not score per se. Ron Cliftons Magic Carpet tape works nicely.
Bowling is predominantly a game of accuracy and consistency when performed in a condition approaching purity.

If I were coaching a team of school kids or college I'd set this up to hone accuracy
Two sets of goalpost like devices made of plastic tubing with a moveable dangle to be hit by the ball.
You can make the height of the dangale adjustable based on the DIAMETER of the BALL and how forgiving you want to be,

This is a poor picture of such a device, you can make it without the screen or with the screen fairly cheaply - this is an ANCIENT idea.
Somewhere on this forum someone posted specs to build one - use the search button.
Capture.JPG
Two or more points make a line.

Try this one - Joe use to bowl here at ASU once upon a time
[youtube][/youtube]

Power is nice but two of the biggest winners on tour are Walter Ray and Norm Duke.
Norms DVD is pretty good, Norm was one of Bill Hall's students. Bill is one of the games best mentors.
You can find tidbits of NEXTLEVELBOWLING videos on Youtube.

I mention Norm for many reasons one of which is that he is not a big man, neither is Ameletto Monceli or Marshall Holman (Marshall at times was his own worst enemy and quite easily could have won 30+ PBA titles - oh well ...)

At any rate, some thoughts to ponder.

If you are looking for books, look at the wiki for links to reviews by forum members.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index.php?title=Books" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wish you the best.

Get the videos for Jim, he has a great eye for motion and a great head for the game.
Wiki tip - Video Capture Coaching

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't don't forget to give him the green + when he does his analysis :)

Jim has made the BJI top 100 coaches list since bowling was done with 9 pins.

Take care.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John