New start to Bowling ! Any and all comments are welcome !

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

ChrisTan
Positive Axis Point: TBD soon
Speed: TBD soon
Axis Tilt: TBD
Axis Rotation: TBD

New start to Bowling ! Any and all comments are welcome !

Post by ChrisTan »

Hi guys,

First off this is my first posting. I have read the faq on posting video for analysis and i know my video doesnt have side view but its the only one i got until i hit the lanes next week again. I didnt post this in the Certified Coach section as i want to produce a better video (back and side view). Since this is community coaching and i would appreciate and feedback from fellow bowlers.

Some notes before the video :
1. I bowled 17yrs ago and just recently taking the game back up. My previous swing reaches only waist level and i use forearm strength to propel the ball all the time resulting in loads of problem. My current swing i've 'copied' and try to duplicate the proper ball position prior during and after release by using youtube, this forum and in general the internet.
2. In the video i have just started on a different (higher) swing entirely and i manage only 2 games that day so dont be alarm if it looks off. I still need loads of practice.
3. I am trying to forget everything about bowling especially muscle memory from back then so i could get on the game with the proper basics. The only thing ive retain from yesteryears are my 5 step approach and obviously my ball (Plastic ball, My Storm El nino needs to replug before i could use it)
4. Pretty sure you guys could list a million things that are wrong in my video but im very anxious about my broken wrist release. I have been actively thinking about the problem as i bowl but i just couldnt get my bloody hand behind the ball. I'm going to spend the next few months getting my approach up to par and i am afraid that i would have much harder time to fix a broken wrist if i keep bowling in that way.

Thank you in advance.

Edit : This video was shot by an iphone. I could watch it on youtube ok but it seems when i try to view it here it goes dark. I could usually fix that by moving the slider but in this case. If this happens to everyone here and not just me please let me know so i could upload again.

[youtube][/youtube]
Chris
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: New start to Bowling ! Any and all comments are welcome

Post by EricHartwell »

Welcome back to bowling
For the best coaching help I would post in the Coaching section.

Use the El nino repair opportunity to reevaluate your grip and make sure you have a good fit.
Consider plugging the thumb as well. A good fit can make a huge difference.

My thoughts on what you call your broken wrist release... I would need to see the resultant ball motion. I don't care what you look like delivering the ball as long as you can get it to roll.

From a layout point of view, It does not matter to me how you get the ball moving down the lane as long as you can manage the ball motion. So what I need are the measurables: ball speed, rev rate, rotation and tilt. From this information I can make recommendations.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you haven't seen this topic: Items in Order to give you a recommended layout. Check it out.
There are lots of good tips on how to obtain your specs. Then list them in your signature. See mine for example.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
ChrisTan

Post by ChrisTan »

EricHartwell wrote:Welcome back to bowling
For the best coaching help I would post in the Coaching section.

Use the El nino repair opportunity to reevaluate your grip and make sure you have a good fit.

My thoughts on what you call your broken wrist release... I would need to see the resultant ball motion. I don't care what you look like delivering the ball as long as you can get it to roll.

From a layout point of view, It does not matter to me how you get the ball moving down the lane as long as you can manage the ball motion. So what I need are the measurables: ball speed, rev rate, rotation and tilt. From this information I can make recommendations.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you haven't seen this topic: Items in Order to give you a recommended layout. Check it out.
There are lots of good tips on how to obtain your specs. Then list them in your signature. See mine for example.
I'm currently using a plastic ball so alot of the ball stuff axis tilt and PAP does not apply ? But i would get those stats once im physically up for a 15.4lbs ball in my El nino. Current ball is 12lbs.

A question : With a broken wrist you could still technically roll a ball but it is ineffective and the ball losses alot of its rev am i right ?
Chris
Nsane
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/16 - 7/8 up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13°
Axis Rotation: 55°
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Tenacity, Radical Tremendous
Medium Oil Ball: Guru mighty,
Light Oil Ball: Motiv venom cobra
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Nsane »

yes and no. It will loose revs if you keep it during releas. It will rev up many more when you go from cupped to uncupped during release.
By watching your bowling, i have to say, very good style good timing. stay with that. It is a very very good base for advanced bowling.
To analyze your bowling more detailed we need to see you on the video complete and 2nd video from side. No slow motion!!!

Thomas
Ducati what else?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nice people press +
ChrisTan

Post by ChrisTan »

Nsane wrote:yes and no. It will loose revs if you keep it during releas. It will rev up many more when you go from cupped to uncupped during release.
By watching your bowling, i have to say, very good style good timing. stay with that. It is a very very good base for advanced bowling.
To analyze your bowling more detailed we need to see you on the video complete and 2nd video from side. No slow motion!!!

Thomas
If you can slow down the video you could see i have a broken wrist position AT RELEASE. I reckon i had been bowling with a broken wrist when i was younger but this is the first time i actually see myself from behind. My hand was at the 1 oclock and almost top of the ball when i release which im pretty sure means 'I-suck' . Hopefully i could get the side view and proper back view this week.
Chris
Nsane
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/16 - 7/8 up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13°
Axis Rotation: 55°
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Tenacity, Radical Tremendous
Medium Oil Ball: Guru mighty,
Light Oil Ball: Motiv venom cobra
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Nsane »

i broke the speed down and have seen the broken wrist. But it is not broken totaly. It just need to get in the release with a slightly cupped wrist to uncupped. But before you work on those things check your fitting using the Wikifit please. it is very important to have a good fitted grip.

Thomas
Ducati what else?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nice people press +
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Chris, a quick thought about the broken wrist release.
As you may know, it can be a good release on very dry lanes.
If you have to squeeze the ball, that will make a good release very difficult to achieve.
Firming up your index finger will support your wrist and should help with the broken wrist.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also note that if your hand is not riding the ball down the swing, you are fighting physics.
Read The Force is not with you
http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip26.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are a few links for you to check out.
The first two are on the wiki and pertain to the grip.

A bad grip can cause many problems and induce bad habits and technique. It's like running with cement shoes.
A well fitted ball is a necessary step to success.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... on_Johnson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... p_Pressure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The next two are articles by Ron Clifton.
I suggest you bookmark his article archive, it is a cave of wonders.

What Weight Ball ...
http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip14.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finger Dancing -
http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip11.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You want a well fitted ball, that will allow you to use the heaviest ball you can skillfully and consistency manipulate.

Heaviest does not always mean best or most effective.
When resin balls were new, the expression "too much toy" emerged on the PBA tour. The heavier balls were hitting too hard for some bowlers. So its fact finding.

At some point, look up the phases of ball motion on the wiki.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... all_Motion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Successful Bowling is predicated on getting the ball to transition through its three phases. There is a window of opportunity at the end of the third phase.
Look at the discussion in this thread. I was taught by Coach Rolf Gauger (R.I.P) that the optimum time for a ball to hit the pocket is "hook out". That leads to the following habit, always " post your shot" remaining in your finishing position watching the ball until it enters the pit. The balls path through the pins will provide clues.
In today's game, you want the ball to split the 8-9.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3236&p=25503&hilit=hookout#p25503" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finish position drill

The Post
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
ChrisTan

Post by ChrisTan »

Thank you for all the tips. Come on guys let it rip tear me a new one i need pointers !
Chris
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

From what you have posted it looks to me like you have good balance and form. The side view is really needed to see the timing.
The best pointer I can give is get the videos done and post in the coaching section.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

EricHartwell wrote:Use the El nino repair opportunity to reevaluate your grip and make sure you have a good fit.

From a layout point of view, It does not matter to me how you get the ball moving down the lane as long as you can manage the ball motion.
Chris,
Eric has given you some very sound advice, don't let your wrist position dominate your return to bowling. As I have mentioned before......90% of the people who try Norm's release drill have little problem executing it.......on the other hand probably only 1% can execute it in a full approach.

Spend some time in the WIKI and compare your grip to what you read there. Perhaps take a photo of your thumb fully inserted in the ball and the fingers lying across the holes. Post this video in the MO and friends forum for evaluation.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
ChrisTan

Post by ChrisTan »

Roger that!
Chris