Need Suggestion about bowling shoes

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

bowlingmate
Preferred Company: Dexter

Need Suggestion about bowling shoes

Post by bowlingmate »

i am very confused about buying a pair of good bowling shoes. since i am new to bowling i thought it would be better to buy a pair of shoes rather than renting. please recommend a pair of good shoes
Trying to improve my bowling skills and take my game to the next level.
http://mybowlingmate.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Re: Need Suggestion about bowling shoes

Post by snick »

Dexter Tank is an excellent shoe.
Specifically, the construction and connection of the push sole to the upper is very durable.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I went against the tank because of all the complaints about the shoe being too hard and feeling like a dress shoe. It takes a lot of time to wear them down I was told. I would suggest the Storm SP2 900 it was made by dexter, you can change the sole and the front of the sliding shoe is made good. I ordered them but didn't order the right size and took them back. They were pretty soft. I ended up buying the dexter sst6 which I have a blue pair from 2005 they are really soft and these new ones feel like dress shoes as well. If you can afford it and want to spend the money the dexter the Nine is good but the shoe accessories are expensive for them.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Ok, he said he is new to bowling, maybe buying some SST's isn't necessary yet. I love my SST6 but maybe some beginner shoes may be the ticket. There are beginner shoes on the market with push of sole on one foot. A long time ago I don't remember shoes having push of soles at all so maybe a regular pair with both sliding soles will be an upgrade from rental shoes while he learns the basics.

What's your budget bowlingmate?
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
bowlingmate

Post by bowlingmate »

As cheap as possible. Don't want to spend $150-$200 just for pair of shoes. And is it really worth buying it?
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

Ok sorry about that, If you are new that was about as bad as that video that one guy posted from youtube about a proshop owner asking a guy that hasn't bowled much at all before "how do you want to lay it out". Bascially any bowling shoe will be an upgrade from the rental shoes. We have to go way way back for me when I got my first pair of shoes but they were pretty basic. From what I see. There is a good deal on this. https://bowling.com/products/elite-mens ... e-blue.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bow ... -deal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

to be honest I would go to a website and just find a good deal on a set of shoes. Basic shoes aren't going to be much different from each other anyway. Bowlingball.com has good clearance deals.

Sometimes bowling shoes are a bit larger then the shoe you currently have and sometimes not. My shoes were wore down so much that I couldn't figure out what size they were, and I recently ordered some and I didn't like the fit. I had to send them back. Another option would be just going to a proshop somewhere finding a pair of shoes that fit within your budget. I learned this a bit the hard way but a having a good fit on bowling shoes is worth more then just saving a few dollars.

If you want to look at it the basic way, There are 2 kinds of shoes. One kind has the soles on the shoes you can't change. The other has changeable soles. I have some limited experience but I have the kind that have changeable soles. I bought the s10,s11,s12 soles. I have left the H7 (strongest heal on it) and so far I have only used the s12's. If the s12's are too slick, I put on a sliding shoe thing.

Suppose that you get these shoes in, and sometimes you notice the slide is good and sometimes you notice that it isn't. Since you can't change the soles on the cheaper shoes what can you do? What you can do is buy a cheap $4.99 or so one of these: http://www.bowlingball.com/products/acc ... lider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't even get one of these yet until you encounter that you might need it. Always make sure that you don't have anything on the bottom of your shoes. When you get a pair of shoes, don't go walking everywhere with them, don't go to the bathroom or to the food place etc. If you do then make sure you get those plastic shoe wraps that go around them so you don't pick up anything on the bottom.

So this might be long winded so here is what I would do if I were you. Find a good shoe that you like the way it looks and fits and the price is good for you. Don't sit there like I did for 2-3 days and look at the individual details about what the shoe is made out of, what the reviews say or this and that. Any basic shoe is a good upgrade from the house shoes. If you don't know what your fit is, then go and get fitted try the shoe on. If you like the shoe but don't like the price, then go online look at ebay or bowlingball.com etc to see if there is a better price. But if you buy online and they don't fit you have to deal with shipping back and forth and I just had to deal with that
bowlingmate

Post by bowlingmate »

How about BSI? Anyone using it?
I found this site http://goo.gl/v0LJCE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; recommending some cheap bowling shoes on amazon.

But the recommendations about Best Bowling Shoes in http://mybowlingmate.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is great. So if i narrow my preference i am left with SST8, TPUX, and BSI 540. So which one will be the best option for me? Since SST8 and TPUX is slightly expensive for me so only option for me is 540. Any suggestions??
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

bsi ones look fine to me. good reviews etc should work
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

The BSI 540 is a universal shoe.
ie: slide soles on both shoes, if I understand the term correctly.

What you want is slide sole on one foot and rubber push sole on the other.

dexter Keegan is probably a better buy.
http://www.bowlerx.com/Dexter-Keegan-Br ... KEEGAN.htm
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
sutherngent
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/8 > X 1/2 ^
Speed: 15 @ monitor
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 50
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel 40*3 1/2*35 1 in hole 2 down the val, OOB
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Infinite Theory 50*X4X25* 500/2000
Light Oil Ball: Ebonite Nitro R2 polished

Post by sutherngent »

Avoid the universal type, with the same sole on both shoes. Get a pair that has a slide sole on one foot and a rubber sole on the other. If you can find them, Dexter SST 5 or SST 6 would be a cheaper alternative to the SST 8s. They have interchangeable soles and heels on the slide foot only.

I swore by Linds for many years but have gone over to Dexter due to the ability to change more easily. Dexter also makes the Storm shoes which might also be a cheaper alternative with either non changeable soles or changeable. Check out the Dexter web site.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

don't think he wants to spend alot of money on them. it is just a beginner, maybe in a year or two move up. SST8 isn't any good from what I read. 6's are good. But he doesn't need them until he is used to it.
Qman
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/8 1/2 up
Rev Rate: 280
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 20
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Sinister
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Solid
Light Oil Ball: Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical/Storm/Roto Grip

Post by Qman »

You can buy a pair of $50 shoes and put a sliding sock on it and still get the same feel as if you had a $150 pair of SST8's. I have a pair if SST 6's with the sliding sock on my left shoe because the shoe's sticky side doesn't hold all the way so as the reason for the sliding sock and I'm to cheap to buy another pair of shoes. I don't bowl enough to warrant replacing what I have that works for now.
Adapt or perish!

PAP 4 1/8, 1/2 up
Axis Rotation 20
Axis Tilt 23
Rev rate 280
Speed Dominate / Rev Challenged
14-16mph at monitor
flibblesh

Post by flibblesh »

Not to start any drama etc, but I recognised this guys username from Reddit. I'm pretty sure you all, as well as the folks on Reddit, helped him write a bowling shoe buying guide.

http://mybowlingmate.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steven Bourgaize

Rev Rate: Roughly 300
Ball Weight: 15lb
PAP: Smear
Span: Teeny
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

So I wasted all my time writing all that for nothing? I have had some bad news lately. I went to a coach and he told me that I was doing all kinds of things wrong. Then bowled that night and threw a sub 500 series. I was depressed and thought I might should give it up if I am doing all that stuff wrong. But on the other hand, no one on my team got over 500 and that includes people with 206 averages. I did get the highest 4 with 483. Nationals is coming up next year and I want to take it all so I got alot to work on.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

krava I don't know if you posted on the correct thread... Anyway, don't get frustrated, getting good at bowling takes years. I watch many league bowlers who can throw strikes with an ugly form on a THS all the time yet take them away from the comfort of their adult bumpers and they start crying. Most of them don't want to go to a coach because they think that since they can roll a 200 every now and then on an easy THS they don't need a coach, probably have never seem themselves on video either. Hang in there krava, you are on the right track, be patient, practice 3x a week and video yourself, in the long run you will have an advantage because you decided to seriously work on your game. Good luck.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent