Question about step cadence and length

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

brich
Preferred Company: Storm

Question about step cadence and length

Post by brich »

In general is a bowlers approach cadence and step speed a result of the body attempting to maintain balance? If a bowler is out of balance during the approach, will the steps become slower and longer, then if the bowler is in balance the steps become slightly quicker and shorter, particularly the power step. What I am trying to understand, as a bowler settles into a natural step speed, through practice etc. Then does that natural speed change either slightly faster or slower depending upon how well balanced the approach is. Always heard that the footwork is the determining factor in much of the physical game, the foot works spacing and direction. But doesn't the armswing have a equal effect on a bowlers balance, causing the footwork to adjust to maintain balance. In general wouldn't slow feet cause a less well balanced approach than a faster pace since the weight of the ball would have more influence due to the lack of momentum. It's easier to maintain balance while moving swing an object then it is standing still.

Inquiring minds
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Question about step cadence and length

Post by elgavachon »

brich wrote:In general is a bowlers approach cadence and step speed a result of the body attempting to maintain balance? If a bowler is out of balance during the approach, will the steps become slower and longer, then if the bowler is in balance the steps become slightly quicker and shorter, particularly the power step. What I am trying to understand, as a bowler settles into a natural step speed, through practice etc. Then does that natural speed change either slightly faster or slower depending upon how well balanced the approach is. Always heard that the footwork is the determining factor in much of the physical game, the foot works spacing and direction. But doesn't the armswing have a equal effect on a bowlers balance, causing the footwork to adjust to maintain balance. In general wouldn't slow feet cause a less well balanced approach than a faster pace since the weight of the ball would have more influence due to the lack of momentum. It's easier to maintain balance while moving swing an object then it is standing still.

Inquiring minds
Just how I understand it (not a coach) using 5 step as an example :
You want the "slow" "slow" "quick" "quick" "slide" as your cadence. The reason (I think) is that you do not want to be walking forward and swinging the ball backwards (counter productive). If you do the "quick" "quick" fast enough the ball will swing up instead of back-wards because you have moved forward keeping all of your momentum in the same direction.
The balance beam with your second step is to get your leg out of the way on the downswing. (same thing with a balance beam step on your fourth step when the ball is coming back).
Keeping your head over the ball should cause your footwork to happen without thinking about it.

Go through Jim's posts to see this more in detail.
You can also purchase a copy of Mo's "See It Feel it Do It" viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9975&hilit=see+it+feel+it+do+it" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brich
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by brich »

Thanks for reply, my thought was that, again using a 5 step approach, 1st slow, but after the ball is hinged and begins it's swing , if steps 2 an 3 are to slow, won't that cut down the momentum that would be needed for a freer, more relaxed swing. I would think that the speed of the steps is established to maintain balance once the swing begins.
crashin12x
Positive Axis Point: 5" x 7/8"
Speed: 15.7 MPH Off Hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 65
Preferred Company: Hammer, Ebonite and MoRich

Post by crashin12x »

brich wrote:Thanks for reply, my thought was that, again using a 5 step approach, 1st slow, but after the ball is hinged and begins it's swing , if steps 2 an 3 are to slow, won't that cut down the momentum that would be needed for a freer, more relaxed swing. I would think that the speed of the steps is established to maintain balance once the swing begins.
Five step pace: slow, slow, quick, quick and slide. I'd like to think of it as a car accelerating from rest. First slow (1st gear) is a timing step (left foot for right handers), second slow (2nd gear) is where the moves forward with the same pace and hinge at the end of the step. 1st quick step (3rd gear) I'd like to think getting past the ball. This step is usually almost the same length of the previous step. 2nd quick (4th gear) is literally a short and quick step to aid pushing off to the slide. In here the ball is almost at the top of the swing. And the slide.

Be aware though that the arms follow the feet so if the feet is too fast or too slow, the arms will tend to follow that pace and will require fair amount of upper body muscle manipulation to catch up and may throw your bowler off balance too.

There are a lot of credible coaches here I am sure they have more to say. Cheers!
LHB
PAP 5" over LEFT x 7/8" over UP
Tilt 18*
Speed 16 MPH (Off Hand)
Rev 250 RPM
Rot 65*
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

"Five step pace: slow, slow, quick, quick and slide."

If you watch some of the pro bowlers, they all have variations from the step timing you mentioned.

Chris Barnes has a slow 3rd step, as he starts the ball moving quite late, so he needs to slow down here to let the ball catch up to his footwork.

Mika K, Pete Weber and Mike Fagan all have relatively slow 3rd steps too, as they have higher backswings and need to create some time so the ball can swing up to its apex.

What they all do after this though is have a short and quick 4th step to build momentum into the slide.

Dean
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

Dean,
Mika K, Pete Weber, Mike Fagan, Andres Gomez, Tommy Jones, Norm Duke and many more throughout history have utilized a longer third step (in a 5 step approach). The third step being longer results in a backswing that travels between waist high to shoulder high at the completion of that step. In some coaching circles this would be classified as early timing as the back swing is ahead of the feet.

This position of the back swing leaves a short distance for the swing to travel to reach its apex on the fourth step. Our brain is a marvelous computer and adjusts both the pace and length of the fourth step to match the completion of the back swing.

While, I don’t use this as a standard teaching method for all, it has been effective with those students who have a slow, short backswing.

I believe the brain will adjust the length and tempo of the swing to the pace and length of the steps to maintain balance.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

Just looking at your last comment Jim, "I believe the brain will adjust the length and tempo of the swing to the pace and length of the steps to maintain balance", it says a lot.

I've observed that once bowlers get the hang of bowling with minimal use of muscle to try and control the ball when it swings, the footwork and body position start to work with the swing much more cohesively, where the first thing the bowler notices is an increase in ball speed with no extra effort, and much better balance throughout the approach and after the release.

I just re-visited your timing post too Jim, and there is a lot of relevance to the original post here. Attached is a summary i made.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor